PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit season....it is finished....

Big Muddy
02-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Had a terrific hunt, today....weather was great....beagles ran like champs....nobody shot their leg off....I prepared a big breakfast for everyone, at our little cabin in the woods, before the hunt.

Leroy, the rabbit whisperer couldn't make it, so we invited another old black guy, Felix Greenwood....he's 84 years old, and spry as a young colt....he told me he wanted to make one more good rabbit hunt, before he died....he shoots an old Stevens 12 gauge single shot, held together with duct tape, like Leroy's old Mossberg.

Felix is first cousins with L.C. Greenwood of Pittsburg Steelers fame, and he shoots that old Stevens pretty good....he went 3 for 3 today on the rabbits....he killed one swamper that prolly weighed 5-6 pounds.

We got a big laugh outta Lewis, the short guy in the orange hat....he killed a rabbit in a pile of briars, and when he went to pick up, what he thought was his dead rabbit, another rabbit was sitting there looking at him, so he thumped it on the head with his gun barrel....the rabbit hauled azz, and he missed it three times at 20 feet....his dead rabbit was just a few feet away.

We had at least 30 hot races, but definitely had our share of misses....ended the hunt with a nice mix of 21 swampers and cottontails....all of the rabbits are not in the pics....we just threw up a mess of them on top of the dog box, to take the pic.

Since it was the last day of the season, we hunted non-stop for 6 straight hours....those little beagles are gonna sleep good tonite....and, I will too because my arse is plumb wore out !!! ;)

Buckrub
02-28-2015, 10:22 PM
Rabbit in the middle looks happy.

Prolly ain't, though.

DeputyDog
02-28-2015, 10:27 PM
I shot my first squirrel with a shotgun exactly like that one. My Dad used it to shoot a few deer too. I still have it in the safe. Won't part with it for sentimental reasons.

Bwana
03-02-2015, 12:49 PM
That looks like a great way to spend the day. Would love to try it sometime.

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 01:24 PM
I was wondering how things turned out and I'm glad it resulted in a bunch of dead rabbits. Nice chootin' boyz. My very first'est shotgun was a Savage single shot 20ga a lot like that one Felix is shooting. Mine had a case hardened action. I can't tell from the photo if that one does or not. Either way, it was a reliable little shotgun, but kicked like a son of a mule. I sold it to my youngest brother years ago with the agreement that if he ever sold it, I got first dibs at buying it back. He's never even thought about selling it...dang it.