PDA

View Full Version : New Pup (You might like this Big Muddy)

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 01:38 PM
As y'all know we had to put our dog down about a 1 1/2 ago. I hated to see him go as he was the best family dog one could ever ask for. Even as a puppy he was pretty darn easy to train and live with. He really never gave us any grief, but he did bring a lot of joy to our lives. Anyway I'm not the type that can just run right out and buy another dog within a week or two of the previous dog passing away. There was actually a 12 year space between our last dog and the one before it. However, these days I mostly hunt alone, while hunting coyotes, and I spend a lot of time roaming the hills and mountains alone. Since I prefer the company of a good dog to a lot of people I know, I've decided to get another hunting dog. This stocky little guy in the middle will be coming to our home around the end of march. He's a little male Mountain Cur. I've never owned a hound or cur of any kind before so this will be an adventure I'm sure. His main purpose besides being a family dog will be to decoy coyotes in for me. I also plan to train him to track wounded critters as well. If he shows a lot of interest in chasing raccoons I might have him do a little of that as well, but coyotes will be our primary focus day in and day out. He's got good looking parents so hopefully this little bundle of cuteness will grow into a good looking coyote harassing machine. Now I just have to get myself ready to go through the whole puppy stage thing. I wish I could just skip that part, but I want to do all the training with this dog, and so a puppy it is.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Puppies_zps9vtpvlul.jpg

Buckrub
03-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Ohhh. Aawwwwwwwwwww.....

johnboy
03-02-2015, 01:49 PM
A breed I wasn't familiar with and a good looking pup. Have fun with the puppy stuff!

HideHunter
03-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Had one.. been gone 30+ years. I still miss her. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
The only one I've seen had one brown eye and one blue one and looked like he had some pit in him. One of my friends used him to hold a wild hog when the rest of the pack got him bayed. He was a full grown sumbitch too. He dragged Travis all over LeFlore county once when we were hunting hogs on a frozen morning. A good choice for what you want him for!
BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Very cool dog. I'm the same as you about spacing them apart. I think I went almost 4 years between my Lab and my Britt. Decoy, is that another word for "bait"?

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Chicken Dinner kind'a except this bait bites back. ;)

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
From what I can tell this guy shouldn't have any pit bull in his genetic line. I was very careful to check for that as I don't want anything to do with pit bulls or any of their traits. While it is common for cur dogs to cross with pit bulls especially for hog hunting, that is not what I want out of this dog. With a little luck he should look a lot like this mountain cur below when he grows up. They look a lot like a lab with docked tails and they are smaller overall than most labs.
http://www.pineymountaincurs.com/booJan.jpg

LJ3
03-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Pretty dog. Cute ass puppy!

treyball20
03-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Enjoy your new pup. side note we got all the baits registered for another year this morning.

Niner
03-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Pretty doggone neat there Sky. Muddy had a cur for his squirrels, and you'll have a cur for your 'yotes.

Gonna be a good lookin' dog too!!

Sunshine
03-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Nice looking pup. Never heard of the breed.
Have fun puppy training. Lol :D

Big Muddy
03-02-2015, 04:14 PM
OMG!!!!!!!!! Sky, I absolutely love the looks of that pup!!!! You will NEVER regret, making a Mountain Cur a part of your family, or your hunting life!!!!

Congrats, I am just thrilled for you!!!

Bwana
03-02-2015, 04:17 PM
First of all congrats on what will be a grand adventure.

As for the puppy thing, I know all about it as "my daughter's" puppy is now almost 7 months old. As for the intended use, I might just have to drive out there or meet you halfway to partake in that load of fun!

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Big Muddy I kind'a thought that might surprise you. I've been looking hard for over a year for just the right dog. I had to pass one up last fall that I really wanted, but everything is falling into place with this one. I'm excited.

Bwana, give me 2-3 years to get him lined out. Then come on this way.

Bwana
03-02-2015, 06:40 PM
2-3 years? I suppose that will work, guess we'll just have to stick with fishing this summer instead.

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Yup. The way it's snow-blasting us right now outside my window there should be plenty of water in the creeks this summer. Really have a doozy of a blizzard raging out there right now. I'm absolutely dreading walking out to my car in the parking lot here in about 10 minutes.

Big Muddy
03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Sky, is the breeder a local guy???....and, does he also train his own dogs???....those are some beautiful pups, and if your's turns out to be a winner(which I'm sure he will), I'd be willing to travel out there to purchase one, if something ever happens to Sandy....she will be 9 years old, in July, and I'm beginning to see small hints of her, showing her age.

The squirrel and coon dog gene pool, down here, has really gotten very diluted and weakened....not to mention, very ruthless....there's prolly only 2 or 3 breeders, down here in the entire southeast U.S., that I would trust to be truthful about their litters.

Big Skyz
03-02-2015, 08:38 PM
I bought it from a guy in Arizona that hunts bears, mt. lions, bobcats, and coyotes with his curs. He's a hard core hunter and that's what his dogs are for. His name is Cal Allen and he's respected among the other hound hunters.