PDA

View Full Version : Youse dufes be good ....

Thumper
03-03-2015, 01:02 PM
... since my eyes will be dilated, Lynn's taking the afternoon off to run me over to the VA for my annual eye check-up so I can get another pair of "cheaters".

Of course, we'll hit our favorite Thai Restaurant before my 3:00 appt. :D

johnboy
03-03-2015, 01:50 PM
May I suggest a few breath mints before your appointment? I'm sure the optometrist would appreciate you covering the garlic and fish sauce effluvia. :D

A couple of friends and I used to go to our favourite Korean restaurant for lunch at least once a week and I fondly remember one of our female co-workers getting on the elevator with us one time and gasping at the 'aroma'. "Been to the Korean joint again, I see" she says with a grimace. Funny stuff.

Thumper
03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
That's funny Johnboy! We thought of the same exact thing. The optometrist will be right in my face during the exam, so we changed our minds and went to our favorite Persian restaurant instead! Sitting in the waiting room right now awaiting my 3:30 appointment. I hope the doc appreciates all I did for her. :)

Thumper
03-03-2015, 04:32 PM
I can totally relate though. In L. A. Lynn's boss was Philippino and every once in a while, they'd go to a Philippino restaurant for lunch. When she'd walk in the door at home that night, I'd tell her where she'd gone for lunch even before she had a chance to put her purse down!

LJ3
03-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Garlic breath is pretty equal to curry breath, dufus :)

Thumper
03-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Garlic breath is pretty equal to curry breath, dufus :)

I said Persian numbnutz, not Middle Eastern. The Iranians pretty much have their own unique foods for the most part. NOT that you won't find curry dishes in a Persian restaurant, but that's basically Indian food that has blended in with Iranian cooking/culture and isn't really "pure" Persian. Kinda like saying you're going out for Mexican, then ordering a breakfast burrito at McDonalds.

LJ3
03-03-2015, 10:38 PM
I frequently eat lunch with a 1st generation Iranian. THose dude eat a lot of curry too. Not as much as indians but they do. Bite me.

Thumper
03-03-2015, 10:42 PM
He's prolly a Yankee Iranian and we all know Yankees are weird. :biggrin

Mr. Google says they've used it for a while, but I don't go to a Persian restaurant to order curry. I guess I'm a purist. Like I said above, they have burritos at McD's ... but that ain't where I go if I'm craving Mexican food. :D

"Iranian cuisine is often referred to as "Persian." This is because, until 1934, Iran was known as Persia. At one time, Persian territory stretched as far east as India. Curry (a spice) was adapted from the people of India and incorporated into the Persian (now Iranian) cuisine. Modern spicy curry stews demonstrate India's influence.

Bite me back Ticboy! :moon

LJ3
03-04-2015, 10:36 AM
"Iranian cuisine is often referred to as "Persian." This is because, until 1934, Iran was known as Persia.

Actually, that's BS. It's known as Persia because Iranians don't want to be known as Iranians :) And I'm not saying anything other than Persian cooking uses curry. For the love of all that's holy! So does Egyptian cooking, which is also awesome and has a lot of overlap with middle eastern, Mediterranean and other cuisines of the region.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 12:53 PM
You're totally correct Lenster ... no argument and no big deal, I'm just sayin'! ;)

Heck, I can get curry dishes at a THAI restaurant. All I'm saying is if I want "pure" Thai, I'll go to a Thai restaurant, if I want Persian .... errr, excuse me. Iranian food, I'll go to a Persian/Iranian restaurant ... and if I want CURRY, I'll go to an Indian restaurant. Lynn and I are foodies and that mentality gives us a good excuse to go to different restaurants.

There's a method to my madness! ;)

'Course, that said, here in this little podunk town, I get my favorite sushi at a frigging Chinese restaurant! Go figure. :D

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 01:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_curry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_curry

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/01/indus_civilization_food_how_scientists_are_figurin g_out_what_curry_was_like.html

Thumper
03-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Like salt & pepper. ;)