PDA

View Full Version : If only.....

johnboy
03-03-2015, 02:25 PM
..... I'd seen this before I sold my Harley!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_u8UVhjfyw

A 3500HD diesel dually out front and you CAN take it with you! :toothy

Big Muddy
03-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Now, that's cool !!!

Bwana
03-03-2015, 03:42 PM
You can always buy another one johnboy.

Niner
03-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Now that's just as slick as a bug's ear. VERY good idea on the "toy hauler" theme. I love the winch and tie-down system.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Looks like a pricey option ... but a VERY practical one. I had a buddy in L.A. (coincidentally his name is Jim) who tried the same method as most on those videos to load his bike in the bed of his pick-up. It turned out very similar ... AND expensive! He got to the top of the ramp and the down-tube caught on the tailgate/ramp end. To keep from busting his ass, he hit the throttle to get more momentum so he wouldn't topple over. The front end came up (pulled a wheelie), he shot forward (cleared the ramp/hang-up), but his front wheel knocked the back window out'ta his truck and buckled the roof panel. The down-tube caved in the front edge of his bed, which in turn, caved in the back of the cab! What a mess! Then, to add insult to injury, he toppled over, fell over the side rail of the bed and sprained his wrist when he hit the ground. (it could'a been MUCH worse ... luckily the bike stayed in the bed of the truck and didn't fall out on top of him!) I wish I had a video of that fiasco!

johnboy
03-04-2015, 04:24 PM
You can always buy another one johnboy.

Not if I want to stay married, I can't! Actually, there is one more HD I would dearly love to have - a 2006/2007 V-Rod VRSCR Street Rod. They only made them for those 2 years but it may be the best bike HD ever produced.

LJ3
03-04-2015, 04:59 PM
I always liked those bad boys..

johnboy
03-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Gives me a boner just looking at that pic! Slap a 2 into 1 on her and head for the hills. Too bad the Street Rod just wasn't traditional enough for the average Harley driver or they might still be making them.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
I'm with you Johnboy ... I remember when those were introduced I was drooling all over them. But I just couldn't see the hard-core Harley crowd ever warming up to something that resembled a "Jap" bike ... and they didn't. I think they were doomed from the start ... they just introduced them to the wrong market.

If you bought one new and stored it for 50-60 years ... I wonder if it would be worth a bazillion $$$ someday.

Niner
03-05-2015, 08:51 AM
Thag's a pretty nice looking scooter. Looks sortof like a Sportster on steroids. :thumbsup
Or a cross between a Harley and a Ducati.

This scooter looks like it was MADE for the twisty-turny mountain roads, where your "traditional" HD is made mostly for straight line "long haul" cruising.....hence the long wheelbase a lot of riders went for when modifying their bikes with extended forks, and re-angled frames....for that long-lean-look.

At any rate, it don't look like a YamaHarley or a HondaDavidson to me......and I'll betcha it don't SOUND like one either.

ONE of the problems, IMHO, that HD has is PRICE....they cost as much or more than the cost of a friggin' car.

Niner
03-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Of course "IF ONLY" one had $46K to spare, one could buy a BRAND NEW BMW R90S built from the ground up by BMW in the US......

http://www.bikeexif.com/new-bmw-r90s

Now THAT would be my dream bike. Of course having put some 30 or 40 thousand miles on an R90S that I owned back in the late 1970's wouldn't have annnnnnnnnytthing to do with that "lust".

Of coursre this is not "my" R90S, but mine had the same custom blue/smoke paint job.

johnboy
03-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Always loved those boxer engine Bimmers. I think BMW lost something when they brought out the inline 4's. Still great bikes but just not the same.

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 01:55 PM
I know a couple of the State Troopers around here that ride Harleys on the job wish they could get the BMW's instead of Harleys for working off of them.

Thumper
03-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Niner, I had an R90S back in the early to mid-80's ... I eventually swapped it with a buddy of mine for a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. ;)

johnboy
03-05-2015, 07:57 PM
DD, hard to find a more comfortable bike to ride all day than a Harley dresser. I could and did put more than a few 8 to 12 hour days in the saddle of my Road Glide with no problem. Some even longer. What they do need is a little more power in certain circumstances. The stockers are really choked back with restrictive intakes, exhausts and fueling and run HOT but that is easily fixed. I don't suppose a police bike would have that done.

Another thing is just how maneuverable those big hogs are. With a little practice you can flip them around like a dirt bike. I was amazed the first time I pushed the slow ride limits.

Thumper
03-05-2015, 08:31 PM
I know a couple of the State Troopers around here that ride Harleys on the job wish they could get the BMW's instead of Harleys for working off of them.

I remember when I first moved to L.A. in the 70's, the LAPD Traffic Cops were riding Moto Guzzi's! They liked them so much, a ton of other police dept's started using them and even the California Highway Patrol adopted them. In fact, the bike was so popular, Moto Guzzi came out with a "California" model and I "think" they still produce it after all these years.

DeputyDog
03-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Speaking of motor cops switching to BMW's, I just saw this article.

Sheriff’s Motorcycle Unit Shifts From Harleys To BMWs For $115,000
2 videos

The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office recently purchased five new BMW R-1200 RT-P motorcycles to be used by the traffic/motor unit, the sheriff’s office announced Friday. The change to the BMW motorcycle came after the office was approaching the end of the lease period with Harley Davidson.
Each of the BMW motorcycles, including all equipment, cost $22,927.33, for a total of just under $115,000.
The 110-horesepower, 1200-cc motorcycle is a model especially modified for police use. “For the highway this bike is ideal,” California Highway Patrol Officer Saul Gomez explains in a brief video about the bike. (See below.) “For starters, it has an adjustable windshield that really helps us on the highway at high speeds. When we’re patrolling the streets, that windshield can easily be lowered. It allows us better visibility, and on hot days, it allows us to cool down just a little bit.”
The saddle is 33 to 37 inches off the ground, allowing patrolling cops to get a better visual of traffic and to look into vehicles. The motorcycles are also equipped with crash bars to protect cops should they go down in a collision–or to enable a cop in a hurry to get off the bike and let it roll on the bars without damaging the body of the bike. The saddle bags can be accessed while the cop is in the seat. The integrated speakers allow cops to hear dispatch even when their communications radios are off.
“The Sheriff’s Office was looking for a motorcycle that could perform to our expectations,” said Sheriff James L. Manfre. “We were also looking to decrease maintenance costs and wanted a motorcycle that is durable.”
Aside from being more cost effective than the Harley Davidson, the BMW is overall a better motorcycle for law enforcement use. The BMW is more fuel efficient, weighs less, has a more effective ABS brake system, is equipped with a dual battery system, and more.
“As our agency advances in our daily use of up-to-date equipment and technology, this vehicle has proven to be the best choice to serve the citizens of Flagler County,” said Sergeant Michael Van Buren, Motorcycle Operations Supervisor.
From Officer.com: “The new low-maintenance engine utilizes a single spark plug per cylinder, combined engine-gearbox lubrication, keeping operational costs to a minimum. New e-gas electronic throttle control provides precise throttle management, reduced throttle twist rotation to 70 degrees with no wear or adjustment needed due to electronic throttle actuator system. The new BMW emergency lighting system provides four times the forward intensity of the prior model, focused in the primary zone where motorists are most likely to left turn / pull-out in your path (pattern shows most intense area). Enclosed take-down lights and alley lights provide exceptional illumination plus an alternating wig-wag function to maximize visibility. […] The 2015 R 1200 RT-P provides the most modern, integrated lighting system available on a police motor. The new auxiliary rear emergency light unit provides high-intensity visibility in all situations, plus provides additional benefit if the radio box lid is opened during the violator stop.”
Residents and visitors can expect to see the BMW motorcycles throughout Flagler County beginning this weekend, which coincides with Bike Week in Daytona Beach.

Thumper
03-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Seems weird how many times the word "cop" is used in that article. Seems "officer" would be more appropriate.

BarryBobPosthole
03-09-2015, 11:45 AM
I always preferred 'the Fuzz'.

BKB

Thumper
03-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Pig??
5-0??
Kojak??
The Heat??
The Man??
Po-Po??