PDA

View Full Version : Old age vaccinations

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Yeah. Wish there was a vaccination against it!

Had pneumonia vaccine a month go. Had shingles vaccination an hour ago.

Glad these things exist. IF you're old, please go get both of these.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Done had bof'em. Does that mean I'm old? :(

BarryBobPosthole
03-04-2015, 04:02 PM
Vaccination is one of those things where contrary to all scientific proof that exists, a large number of people believe (reinforced by quacks mainly) that they are the cause of a lot of human ills. This has been one of the most studied topics in medicine. And truthfully, when the CDC swings and misses like they did with this year's flu vaccine it don't help none.
Here in Oklahoma 90 people have died of the flu this year. NINETY. Where's Ted Cruz and the rest of the fear mongers calling for travel quarantines like they did based on one ebola death. I am beginning to wonder when there'll be mandatory flu vaccinations. This year's death toll is impressive. That's when the shit will really hit the fan. But don't we deserve to be protected from public health menaces? Tough call.
BKB

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Or measles.............

All vaccines cause autism. I can prove it........have you not met me??

Thumper
03-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Lynn and I get a flu shot every year and neither of us have EVER had the flu. My mom's 83 years old and absolutely refuses to get a flu shot. She swears it'll give her the flu. The modern shot is nothing but dead critters ... it ain't gonna give her the flu ... and she's the most vulnerable at her age.

I think the way it works P-hole, is when they start manufacturing the flu vaccine every year, it's pretty much guess work and they try to fight whatever strain is most prevalent at the time. The problem comes when a new strain pops up all of a sudden right at flu season. It's a crap shoot sometimes, but I'd rather get one than not.

johnboy
03-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Tough call fer sure. I believe that most vaccinations are effective at preventing disease and would almost lean towards them being mandatory, especially for the so-called 'childhood' diseases - measles, mumps etc. and yet have never and probably will never get the flu vaccine. It just does not seem effective enough to me to be worthwhile. I'm probably wrong but that's what I think.

The wife had a bout of shingles a while back and if that vaccine is at all effective I might look at that. It is not a disease you would ever want to have! Don't know anything about the pneumonia vaccine to have a reasoned opinion but it seems to me that there must be multiple bacteria involved with 'pneumonia' and I'm not sure how one vaccine can cover all those bases. Need to look into this more.

BarryBobPosthole
03-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Yep, What I was saying was the hit or miss part of the annual shot just feeds the anti vaxers.

I plead guilty of being ornery about it myself. Inthe 70's the military was beta testing flu vaccines on military folks for the CDC. I got a very bad case of back break flu about a week after my mandatory flu shot. I've never had one since. Next year I plan to start getting them my own position on the deal was stupid.

BKB

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 04:24 PM
I had the flu, very very badly, 3 out of 4 years some time back.....when they were using the live vaccines. I wouldn't get a shot, just stubborn, and 'knew better' than my doctor.

But the last batch almost killed me. AND, being a heart patient now, I can't afford to get the flu. It is deadly. My 6 y/o grandson lost a friend to it last October. I always get the flu shot.

Oddly, last year, wife and I (and son, and his fiance, and our grandson, etc etc) got the flu. But we traveled to GA, and one in that group was around some 'foreigners'..........and it spread. Turned out, the shots we got were mostly for Type A flu (as Thump says, they have to guess in order to make enough in time), and we got Type B flu. Our doc said, however, that we shouldn't have bad symptoms because the shot should help some.

And it did. Big time. We had 5 days of bad sniffles and aches. NOTHING like the flu I'd had years before, not even close.

I'm a BIG believer in the flu shot. But I used to get them in October. They DO wear off.........so now I try and gamble and take one right before deer season.

And the pneumonia shot is just that too.........a big help. NONE of these are true vaccinations, like a polio vaccination. But the odds go way up with them. Why would I gamble on shingles or pneumonia or the flu? For what?

LJ3
03-04-2015, 04:51 PM
This clip states how I feel about vaccinations more accurately than anything I've ever heard.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QgpfNScEd3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sunshine
03-04-2015, 07:10 PM
I believe all kids should have their childhood vaccinations.

But..... I've never had a flu shot and probably won't have one.

I witness my elder neighbor get a flu shot and it had devastating effects on her.
She's still walking with a walker and wasn't prior to the shot.

And.... the docs are saying they did not pick the right strain for this years flu shot.
So I'll pass. :D

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Please reconsider. You're making the wrong choice.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 07:38 PM
You sound like my mother. If a neighbor wrecks his car, mom will say it's because he got a flu shot last week!

LJ3
03-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Call me what you will be fuck a flu shot right in the ear. They shouldn't even be compared with real disease preventing vaccines. Too many strains of flu out there. That's nuttin but big pharmacy to me.

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Poor research on your part.

Good luck with that.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 11:44 PM
These days getting an annual flu shot is a no-brainer. Come on Ticboy ... do you have auto insurance? There's too many possibilities out there ... you could drive off a cliff, get t-boned by a train, run over an IED ... why bother? You haven't had a wreck lately ... and you haven't had the flu lately ... why bother with either?

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Having had shingles myself, I would highly recommend everyone getting that vaccination. Trust me you don't want to get them. They really suck. I just wish I was old enough to get the shot for them. I really don't want them to come back.

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Our daughter had them in her eye at age 36. She had to fight for 2 years to get the shot, because she was so young. Doc told her that one more event in the eyes, and she'd be blind!!!

To not get vaccinated because of old wive's tales, and anecdotal 'evidence' that the cons MIGHT outweigh the pros, or some (il)logic about it's not 100% effective.............is beyond my ability to describe.........but there are good descriptive words out there, I know!!

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 02:19 PM
When I had them it was across my left side from my left nipple to the center of my back. Man oh man, did that really get irritated by wearing my body armor on duty. I went to the doctor who said that there wasn't anything he could do for me. My wife was pregnant at the time and she was worried about me being contagious or something, you know how pregnant women get, but her OB wrote me out a prescription for Valtrex, the same stuff they give for herpes, and it dried them up in just a couple of days.

I like to joke that I'm the only guy I know that's had a prescription filled from an OB.

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 02:19 PM
When I had them it was across my left side from my left nipple to the center of my back. Man oh man, did that really get irritated by wearing my body armor on duty. I went to the doctor who said that there wasn't anything he could do for me. My wife was pregnant at the time and she was worried about me being contagious or something, you know how pregnant women get, but her OB wrote me out a prescription for Valtrex, the same stuff they give for herpes, and it dried them up in just a couple of days.

I like to joke that I'm the only guy I know that's had a prescription filled from an OB.

Thumper
03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
What did you say Deppity? ;)

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 07:49 PM
I've said it once and apparently said it again. Shingles suck!

Thumper
03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
:biggrin

Yep, my step-dad had them and he was TOTALLY miserable. I got my shingles shot a year or two ago. After seeing him suffer, I don't want anything to do with them!

Bwana
03-06-2015, 10:06 AM
So how old do you have to be to get a shingles vaccination?

LJ3
03-06-2015, 10:27 AM
If you guys are saying the the Flu vaccination is as targeted and specifically designed, and as successful as the measles & polio and other time tested vaccines I would suggest to you that it is you'ns that needs to a little more realistic research.

Buckrub
03-06-2015, 10:27 AM