PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Hog Bill (if you're interested)

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 05:45 PM
Two years ago, Ark Legislature passed a hog bill, and we discussed it here. Some were interested. Now there is a newer, stiffer, update to that being proposed. Currently in committee.

FYI, remember, hogs are technically NOT a game animal in Arkansas. AGFC will NOT regulate them. But they are taking over, and severely hurting deer hunting. However, a growing and now huge contingent of 'hunters' in Arkansas have raised/trained dogs for hog hunting and do it year round........most without any interest in deer at all. Thus, they are fighting this as if the World was in the balance!

I want them eradicated from Earth. I WILL shoot them and eat them. But I'd prefer that they didn't exist. One guy I know at Miss State is working on a serum, poison, not sure what to call it.......that kills 'em but doesn't bother any other animal. I pray for his success.

Just fyi if you care. Go to this site and download the .pdf file..............it's named in Red.

https://legiscan.com/AR/text/HB1569/2015

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 05:49 PM
On the arkansas site, I'm getting lambasted, hammered, and threatened with moderate death for being for this legislation and stating I want hogs eradicated.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 07:23 PM
And what position would you have if you were a hog hunter?

I know many bow hunters who would like to have gun hunters eradicated.

Personally, I'd like Brussels sprouts eradicated.

Where do you draw the line?

BarryBobPosthole
03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Hogs are an introduced species and they need to be rubbed out. How would you like it if you were an avid bass fisherman and fished a public trophy bass lake and some local assholes came and dumped a bunch of stripers in it so they can sell guided trips?

You'd be pissed!

BKB

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 08:25 PM
And what position would you have if you were a hog hunter?

I know many bow hunters who would like to have gun hunters eradicated.

Personally, I'd like Brussels sprouts eradicated.

Where do you draw the line?

Hogs are devastating to the habitat. They are not a native game animal. If you like Asian Carp, I don't care, they're invasive and don't belong to the fish habitat.

All this "Every thought of every human is valid" doesn't work with me. I have standards of right and wrong, and hogs are wrong. If that bothers you, then you're entitled to that opinion. I realize you'd not draw ANY lines ANYTIME on ANYTHING. But I do draw lines.

Posthole's comments are good.

In Arkansas, hogs are NOT a game animal. You can get the law changed if you want. But that's the law now.

I don't care, I'm against hogs because they are detrimental to deer, and I care more about deer than I do about you or your opinions, or much of anything else for that matter.......and that's just me, sorry......it's just who I am.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I agree .. I hate the dang things and they can make a section of woods look like a freshly plowed field overnight. I'm simply trying to look at all sides without blinders. Some people don't see anything positive about having alligators in our lakes down here, yet they are protected. There are a ton of ways to look at things and I know some hog hunters who have a bazillion $$$ invested in dogs and special vehicles, etc.

Don't get your panties in a wad ... I'm agreeing with you .... but it's nothing more than MHO ... and yours for that matter. It may not match others opinions and they are just as entitled to them as we are. I'm sure there are some here who despise the fact wolves have been introduced to areas they hunt also. Everybody has a gripe of some sort. I say have year 'round open season, with no limits, on hogs in every state that holds a hog in the wild ... I seriously doubt they could be eradicated, but I'd think they could be controlled better than they are.

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 09:39 PM
I'm just doing the same.......giving my own, worthless, opinion. But I seriously believe my opinion on this one is right, and backed by science.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Probably so ...

Chicken Dinner
03-04-2015, 10:40 PM
It's a moot point anyway. They breed like rabbits and you'll never kill them all.

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 10:50 PM
No. But you might be able to either poison them to death or give them oral vaccine to render them sterile.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 11:40 PM
No. But you might be able to .... give them oral vaccine to render them sterile.

Ha ha ha! Isn't that the same thing the animal rights people said about deer a few years back .... when we said we hunt to prevent over-breeding? And didn't we laugh at them and mention what a ridiculous idea that was?

I guess that enforces what I said above ... it's all how you look at it and which side of the fence you're on.

HideHunter
03-05-2015, 10:54 AM
Ha ha ha! Isn't that the same thing the animal rights people said about deer a few years back .... when we said we hunt to prevent over-breeding? And didn't we laugh at them and mention what a ridiculous idea that was?

I guess that enforces what I said above ... it's all how you look at it and which side of the fence you're on.

Actually, no.. "they" wanted to trap them, spay/neuter and release... Waaaaaay different concept.

CD is right.. if you have the right (wrong) kind of habitat - you'll never get them killed. We did it here in Iowa - but, there's hardly a pick up that doesn't have a rifle behind the seat and more importantly, there's no place for them to hide. And believe me, I've seen what they do.. You don't want them.

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2015, 10:55 AM
No. Its not a moot point. If they're hopelessly infested then why do fuckers have to keep releasing them? The bill is to stop releasing them, not to eradicate them. These people are polluting the environment justthe same as if they were driving an oil tanker truck out into the woods and dumping it. I don't understand hunters' mentality and pure dee old give a shit attitude about wild hogs. 'Wild hogs' my ass.
And yes they can be eliminated. The original 'wild' hogs down in my part of the country were like most, back when there was open range, people free ranged their hogs a lot like they did their cattle. They were almost non existent when I was a kid because they got hunted out eventually. Then the trailer trash started dumping them. I know people who do this shit and I know the kind of people they are. They also use it as an excuse to carry a deer rifle year around and they don't let deer pass too very often.

BKb

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 11:33 AM
:iagree

HideHunter
03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
The hogs we had in this corner of the state came from OK. Guy released two batches. 50 shoat/piglets the first time and a dozen sows the second. Took a total of 6 years - but we got them. I can't imagine trying to eradicate the bastards in "big" habitat.

BarryBobPosthole
03-05-2015, 11:47 AM
It takes time that's for sure. They're a hell of a lot easier to trap than they are to hunt.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
I have no issue with making it illegal to release them. I'm pretty sure it is in Virginia. I think folks still do it though. However, we don't have any where I've ever hunted around here. I surely would love to go hog hunting, but not at the cost of having a bunch of feral hogs running through my deer woods.

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Google "Feral Hog Range" or "Feral Hog Problem" and see what you get.

I'm very hopeful the guy I know at MSU will be successful. As I heard it, they have a 'vaccine' that kills 'em dead and leaves everything else alone........but cannot find a suitable delivery vehicle that is effective. That's promising to me.

These are now at the Farm in SE Arkansas.......haven't been before. They will take over the US if not stopped soon. All the apathy will be gone, I promise.

DeputyDog
03-05-2015, 02:06 PM
We don't have a problem with them around here, but I've seen a few domestic hogs that have gotten loose and not rounded up for a while and it doesn't take long for them to get pretty wild.

Our biggest problem around here with non-native species is those damned mute swans. They are taking over the lakes around here and are very, very aggressive towards people. A couple of years back, a male almost drowned a 12 year old girl that was swimming in front of her cottage, then in one of the channels between two of the larger lakes, one attacked a DNR officer on a PWC and managed to punch a couple of holes in the fiberglass of it with his beak. The bad thing is, a lot of people think they are pretty and don't want anyone to hurt them, and the DNR has actually had some PR issues after one that a group of homeowner had been feeding and had named, got killed.

Captain
03-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Just pulled my SD cards yesterday, this is a big old boy at one of my stands. I had a thousand plus pictures of hogs on 3 stands. Looks like big hunting time might be here.

Thumper
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Looks like one'a your ex-girlfriends. ;)