PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever see these???....

Big Muddy
03-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Anyone ever seen these in sporting good stores or catalogs???....I was cleaning out some more of my Dad's old stuff, and ran across these....my Dad and the guy, Mr. Koll, who invented, patented, and marketed these things were very close friends....I vaguely remember when Mr. Koll was working on these things, as my Dad and I dropped by his office one day....he lived about 15 miles from us, and I think it was back in the '70s....he was a genius, and still holds several patents on various hunting, medical, and aircraft components....he was an avid and brilliant radio-control helicopter pilot, too.

Mr. Koll died several years ago, and I sort of lost track of his research and development on things of this nature....I've never seen these Leadrite wheel-charts, for sale, in any catalogs or stores.

It's a pretty cool little shooting tool.

Just wondering, if any of you guys had seen them anywhere, previously???

Buckrub
03-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Never.

Big Muddy
03-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Here's his patent info.:

http://www.google.com/patents/US4311902

I just remembered something else about Mr. Koll(his wife simply called him "Koll")....on weekends, he would invite everyone to his house, and he would show off his aerobatic skills, flying his huge R-C helicopter, in the big pasture behind his house....my Dad and I attended only once or twice, but I remember on one occasion, the tail rotor broke, and that big chopper crashed into his house.

The chopper was demolished, and tore a huge hole in the corner of his roof....his wife came running out of the house, screaming at the top of her lungs, "Koll, what have you torn up, now!!!???".

Thumper
03-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Never .... must not have been a big seller. ;)

Big Muddy
03-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Yep, evidently not....I'm gonna hang on to these, though.

Thumper
03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Who knows? They might be candidates for display in the NRA's National Firearms Museum.

Big Muddy
03-04-2015, 07:45 PM
This medical transporter is what he is really famous for....we "heard" that he sold the patent for millions.

http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US3493979.pdf

Thumper
03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Uggghh! That brings back bad memories. Back when I was in the hospital and not doing so well, they had to get a crew around me every time they needed to move me. Heck, just changing my bed sheets was a major undertaking. I couldn't move on my own and to make matters worse, I had 3000 miles of tubes and wires hooked to me at various places. I will say I learned one thing during those months, nurses do NOT get paid anything near what they are worth ... at least the GOOD ones don't.

Niner
03-05-2015, 03:53 AM
That reminds me of the rig they use at MDA to transfer patients who are "mobility challenged". They call it a Hover Mat. It is basically an air mattress that they put onto the hospital bed or gurney before you get onto it. Then they have a blower dealie that inflaltes the mattress quickly.....with you layin on it of course. Then they slide mattress, and you onto the awaiting bed/gurney.

Here's a video of the contraption in action.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNZDaVbLrg

Thumper
03-05-2015, 08:24 AM
Oh yeah Niner! I'd forgotten about those. I had one in ICU ... works just like a hover craft. They just inflate it and it floats. One nurse was able to transfer me from my bed to a gurney if they needed to take me for an Xray, CTScan ... whatever. Cool dealie. 'Course, many times they just rolled me down in my bed. Depended on what they were doing that day.