PDA

View Full Version : Techie Help II

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 12:17 PM
Not for Posthole or Thump. Or Cappy.

Sorry. Not because they are not good people, but because "It works on my computer" or "Get a MAC" or "reboot windows" is not helpful advice. :)

Firefox is going even worse crazy if www.walmart.com is tried to be accessed. Now, after trying to load that site with FF and it sitting and spinning.......I have stopped FF via Task Manager. Fine, it closes. BUT, every subsequent attempt to load FF again, to restart it, fails. It won't even load now, period.

I am at the point of reverting to Chrome for default browser, and have imported the FF bookmarks. I tried to use IE11 and import bookmarks, but FF is NOT A LISTED CHOICE TO IMPORT FROM..........somehow Bill Gates must HATE Mozilla bad enough to not even acknowledge they exist! So, one more reason to hate IE, and now I am using Chrome.

I'd rather use FF, but.......do need walmart.com on occasion. Seems they are mutually exclusive!

Googling this problem shows that many others have similar issue. It's possible the fault is in the walmart site itself, and rejecting FF. There are a lot of sites I've encountered that simply won't work with FF and IE is needed, but I've never seen one where it totally locks up FF forever!!

Ideas?

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 12:42 PM
This is crazy.

I have:
-Run entire computer scan for virus and spyware
-killed all cookies
-uninstalled FF entirely
-Reinstalled FF from download site

It will NOT LOAD period. It starts to load, then just sits and spins. It never did this prior to going to the walmart.com site!! WTFO???

Niner
03-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Give this a try. Not guaranteed to work, but you never know with this computer stuff.

1: Get a brown paper sack.
2: Get the dried bones from a frier sized chicken.
3: Place bones inside brown paper sack.
4: Get a 16oz Ball Peen Hammer.
5: Smash bones that are inside of the brown paper sack.
6: Swing brown paper sack over head while quoting ohms law.

If this does not work, you might need to get a bigger hammer.

You are welcome!!!

Thumper
03-05-2015, 09:44 PM
I think Bucky will now edit his first sentence to:

Not for Posthole or Thump. Or Cappy, or Niner.

NEXT! :D

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Smartest thing Thump ever said here. Amazing. Way to go Niner. You brought out the best in him!~

Niner
03-05-2015, 10:21 PM
All kidding aside. I have never heard of anything like that....just weirdness. I would be interested to learrn what the fix is when it is found.

Just out of curiosity, what version/rev of Windows are you using on that PC????????

Buckrub
03-05-2015, 10:46 PM
Windows 7 Home Premium.

I can't find a fix. Weirdest thing I ever saw. Not even a clue where to start.

LJ3
03-06-2015, 10:46 AM
It's actually pretty common Bucky. Backend changes in an application frequently cause unexpected browser behaviors across multiple browsers. It's frustrating as all get out but, in my humble opinion, the trick is in not spending much time in figuring out why and "fixing" it. the return on your investment of time just ain't worth it to me.

Either Mozilla or Walmart will make a change and they'll be compatible again down the road.

Buckrub
03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Well, now it ain't Walmart or anything else. FF simply will NOT load initially. I just started it again, and it's just sitting there spinning. It doesn't crash till the startup times out.........but it won't load. This is after uninstalling it and reinstalling it. That makes NO sense to me and has nothing to do with Walmart or any website at this point.

How do I even get FF to load???????????????

LJ3
03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Check here, might be something useful.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-wont-start-find-solutions

Buckrub
03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks. That's where I've been.

Update: Magic or something...........I finally got it to load. I don't know how, I swear. This, that, the other........and just waited on it to crash, instead of just hang, and then loaded it without the walmart site reappearing.........then did a REFRESH of entire application. Now it starts.........and walmart.com loads.

Don't ask me.

And I dunno how long it'll last. I bet I've spent 5 hours on this total. Hours I coulda been napping. Sucks.

But I'm back among the living, for now. THanks!!!!

Big Muddy
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Niner's post made me hungry....I just ordered a fryer-sized chicken off the WalMart website....didn't have a bit of trouble. ;)

LJ3
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
That's why I try not to spend more than 5 minutes on problems like that. They usually go away or self-heal magically.

Buckrub
03-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Niner's post made me hungry....I just ordered a fryer-sized chicken off the WalMart website....didn't have a bit of trouble. ;)

If you'd have been in Canada with Thump and us, you'd know that ALL CHICKENS are fryer sized!!!