PDA

View Full Version : OK, another "Why can't I?" question

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 10:49 AM
No more than this would be used, why couldn't I use this to cook on inside, at the farm????????

Thumper
03-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Man, you have a kitchen with a stove. It seems like it would be a piece of cake to give a neighborhood kid $5 to tie one end of a spool of wire to his belt loop and crawl under the house from one side to the other, then just hook up the ends and you have a full kitchen. It's not like it's a major project. Sure, it's patchwork in the overall picture, but you're not planning on rewiring the whole house anyway. If you can't find a kid, grab one of those day laborers who hang out around Home Depot every morning looking for work.

OR ... cook on that thing above ... heck, I'm not even sure what that thing is! ;)

HideHunter
03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
You could.. Pretty much what I had in the bar for 15 years. Going to splatter a little grease and if you cook a "bunch" on it, you'll wish you had a hood.

I like a grill.

Thumper
03-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Take the battery out of your smoke alarm. ;)

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Man, you have a kitchen with a stove. It seems like it would be a piece of cake to give a neighborhood kid $5 to tie one end of a spool of wire to his belt loop and crawl under the house from one side to the other, then just hook up the ends and you have a full kitchen. It's not like it's a major project. Sure, it's patchwork in the overall picture, but you're not planning on rewiring the whole house anyway. If you can't find a kid, grab one of those day laborers who hang out around Home Depot every morning looking for work.

OR ... cook on that thing above ... heck, I'm not even sure what that thing is! ;)

Jim, I'm not going to beat this to death again.

But, I basically agree with you. But the issue is if I pay someone to do it, it's 2 guys labor for about a day. That's the cost, not the wire. The breaker box it's tied to is older than you are, and so I'd need a good breaker into the newer breaker box. Again, a minor thing.

It can NOT be run under the house. I went over that. You don't remember I guess. There is a huge beam that was put under the house to shore up the sagging floor (MIL did this). The beam prohibits any run being made from the breaker to the oven and stovetop (which are not together), so it has to be run anew through the attic somehow. This is an OLD house with danged near zero space under the house and less in the attic. It's not as easy to do as it would be in another location.

And there is no Home Depot for 100 miles. There is nothing. For miles and miles. There is corn, and soybeans, and rice. And more rice. And some soybeans. Occasionally a few acres of trees. Then a house. Then more rice. NO Home Depot. No unemployment office. No laborers willing to work. There ARE a few ne'er do wells that like to hire out so they can case the joint and come back later and rob it, though. That's a common thread down there.

However, as a basic point, I agree with you. Makes NO sense to me why it's so hard, other than the actual route the wire might have to go. It's dang sure nothing I'd tackle myself, though. But it does tick me off that this is that hard.........it shouldn't have to be.

That thing is a flattop griddle on an LP grill.

LJ3
03-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Dude! I want one of those!!! Any reviews on how well it distributes heat?

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
Take the battery out of your smoke alarm. ;)

Even this is funny.

Before we went down there last time, I went through Walmart and just grabbed a new smoke alarm for the farm. We get down there, and it's the weirdest thing I ever saw. Simple to put together, yes. But it has NO removable battery. It says it lasts ten years and then you throw it away! It is activated when you snap the unit onto the outer ring that screws to wall. So, I did that, and it's on the wall. But NO BATTERY!!

I almost threw it away and got a better one, but it was all I had and we were there a week, and I felt safer with it.

It does have a hush button.

But, it hit me that I can't even do a danged simple smoke alarm without it being some crazy, way-different deal!

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Dude! I want one of those!!! Any reviews on how well it distributes heat?

Yes.

But...........there are two models. Blackstone is the manufacturer you want. They make a 2 burner that has bad reviews, especially by those who had the 4 burner before. The 4 burner has different type burners than the 2 burner (which is on sale at Cabela's and other places), and every review says it has bad hot spots.........can't even cook pancakes easily. But the 4 burner has good reviews.

The 4 burner has a grillbox option you can buy:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Blackstone-36-inch-Accessory-Grill-Box/8875194/product.html

Heck, I just looked and the 4 burner is on sale too....in CAMO!!
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blackstone-Camo-Cookstation/1907563.uts?productVariantId=4041692&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=44-35078395-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04051386&rid=20

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 11:59 AM
http://griddleguru.com/

Thumper
03-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I remember mention of the beam, but I'd have to think the beam runs across under the floor joists and you'd have the space between the beam/bottom of joist to the floor to snake a wire through.

It's a dang wire. It shouldn't even be a problem to snake it through the attic or even around the outside of the house at the foundation ... heck, I don't think you're worried about code violations. But, I ain't gonna beat it to death, simply trying to make suggestions. I'm just not grasping the difficulty level I guess.

As for the grill ... do you have a little porch off the kitchen? Seems like the house would get mighty smoky (and oily) when grilling.

I know what you mean about those new smoke alarms. I had a chance to purchase a case of them at a warehouse clearence. I was going to sell them on eBay. They advertised the "10-year battery" thing, but I had no clue how old they were! If I sold them, I had no idea whether the batteries were still good and if so, how many of the 10 years had already passed? I decided I didn't want to fool with them.

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2015, 12:11 PM
I woupdn't use that indoors without a vent hood over it. With a good strong vent hoodit'd prolly be okay. I'd love to have one of those but I wouldn't use it enough to justify. Be awesome for a camp though!

Also, where does the grease go? Does it have a place to put a grease can to collect it?

BKB

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Well, truth be told.........I sorta want it for camper AND for farm......... and yes, there is an inside door to a spacious garage and I COULD cook in the garage, that's where the grill is anyway, and where I cook at night for burgers, etc. SO.........worst case, I'd have to use it a few steps further and in non-temp controlled environment........

The beam........the Licensed Electricians are the ones that DID crawl under the house and said it could NOT be done, and would have to go through attic. And I may just buckle up and pay them in a year or two when I can get ahead a little. But till then, YES, it makes little sense to me why it's so blasted expensive to do. I have a friend that is good at this stuff, but he runs a resort and is busy 8 months a year, 7 days a week, and a lot of miles away.

And remember........even if I got the oven and stove rewired..........the oven works fine, but the stove top has four burners and only 2 of them work anyway, been that way for years. Two is enough, I guess, but I sorta am balking at spending big labor dollars to rewire an OLD stove and oven that isn't 100% any danged way! And even if I rewire it, both units have to be pulled out of wall and wired into the new wire. Again, not the most major of things, but one more issue. When I'm there, I don't always have a ton of time for such things, either......although that's an excuse more than a reason.

As for the smoke alarms, Lesson Learned. I had no idea. I do now!!

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 01:35 PM
I woupdn't use that indoors without a vent hood over it. With a good strong vent hoodit'd prolly be okay. I'd love to have one of those but I wouldn't use it enough to justify. Be awesome for a camp though!

Also, where does the grease go? Does it have a place to put a grease can to collect it?

BKB

Yes. A grease cup. Every review I read mentioned that the cup was way too small, and should be way bigger, but that that was their only gripe. Heck, I'll get a coffee can if I have to!

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 01:41 PM
And by the way.......as far as the vent hood................. I have a gas cooktop (LP) in my house. It's in middle of a vaulted ceiling "great room" and has no vent hood at all. Gas burns and I don't suffocate when I cook indoors.......and I've never missed the vent hood here.

What would be the difference?

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 01:53 PM
BRAIN FLASH (stand back).

Why couldn't I get one of these, and stick it on top of that double burner 'fish cooker' that Cappy rebuilt for me?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AQO12/ref=psdc_289821_t2_B000HQHBSQ

Save two hunnert buckaroos plus.

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2015, 01:55 PM
And by the way.......as far as the vent hood................. I have a gas cooktop (LP) in my house. It's in middle of a vaulted ceiling "great room" and has no vent hood at all. Gas burns and I don't suffocate when I cook indoors.......and I've never missed the vent hood here.

What would be the difference?

Then your out of code. ANY gas cooktop needsto be vented to be legal.

BKB

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Out of code.

Oh my, whatever shall I do?

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2015, 03:37 PM
Nothing, other than hope you ain't nekkid when the EMTs come to collect your corpse.

Seriously.Anything with an open flame, other candles maybe, oughta be vented in some way.

BKB

Thumper
03-07-2015, 03:50 PM
The problem with code would kick in when/if you ever sell your house. Didn't you have a contractor remodel your kitchen recently? Did he do that???

Bucky, you don't have to rewire the stove ... just change the pigtail. Take a pic of your outlet and text it .. I prolly gots a pigtail for it in the garage I'll give ya'. Three screws. Four max. And the burners are like changing a light bulb ... pick up replacements anywhere ... Lowes, Home Depot, hardware store, wherever ... unplug the burned out ones and plug in the new ones. They're cheap.

Edit: Well duh, a pigtail and new burners won't do you any good if you have no power going to it. Nevermind.

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Not this house! This is the farm. My house had kitchen remodeled....or at least new cabinets, and dropped in a new oven/stove.

Farm house will fall down and rot before it'll ever be sold. The only code out in middle of nowhere is "Code of the Old West"......don't shoot yourself while reloading!

Take a picture of what outlet? The oven is built into the wall, have to pull it. The stovetop is built into a hole in the cabinet top, with a slide out drawer beneath it. Have to pull it too. But.........not sure why to do that if I have no new wire to connect to.

Next time I'm down there I'll take pictures.

Another thought I've had is to get one of those Nuwave cooktop thingies and just plug it in and cook on that.

Thumper
03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Your house was the one I was taking about being remodeled. I was referring to the gas stove with no vent hood. Barry mentioned it but I'm not sure if he was talking about "venting" or the vent hood. They have to be vented to be up to code.

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
This is all you need:

http://itsokaytolikeit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/200903151800.jpg

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 05:26 PM
This says most places, no.

http://www.zillow.com/blog/do-i-need-a-range-hood-143676/

Nowhere to put one, the ceiling is 14 feet up above the stove. The stove has a vent in the back, though.

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 05:33 PM
Back to the original question......"Why can't I?"

Answer now obvious. Mama came home, we discussed, she said no.

EOD.

BarryBobPosthole
03-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Lol yep!
And ps.....you shouldn't hadn't oughta never be grillin' in the stinkin' garage.
BKB

Buckrub
03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
Y'all all think I'm an idiot.

Just cause I AM an idiot, don't mean you have to notice.

The grill is in the garage. I open the garage door, and wheel it outside to grill. Now, if it's raining, I grill "just inside" the door, I admit.

Thumper
03-07-2015, 06:23 PM
I don't have to worry about it ... Lynn does the grillin'! :D

Chicken Dinner
03-07-2015, 09:50 PM
I don't have to worry about it ... Lynn does the grillin'! :D

Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! Just turn in your man card now.

Captain
03-07-2015, 09:54 PM
"Males" that COOK need to turn in THEIR man card
Wimmins cook the food, men eat the food.

Thumper
03-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Thank you for setting these girls straight Cappy ... I've been out of pocket for the past few hours and didn't have time to deal with these pantywaists. ;)

Captain
03-08-2015, 08:17 AM

HideHunter
03-08-2015, 12:37 PM
lol.. Gotta steal that Cap'n.. I'm going to take *so much* abuse. :D

Niner
03-08-2015, 02:05 PM
SO....it sounds like its gonna be luncheon meat sammiches and Cool-Aide at the old Farm House.

I guess y'all will be running a "cold camp" as they used to say in those old Western Movies. :biggrin

Maybe what y'all reallllllllly need is just a good old microwave to siit on the counter top???

Buckrub
03-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Nah, we got a microwave (till IT breaks!).........ha.

We just can't fry meat, boil water, or cook biscuits..........

Niner
03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Make biscuits at home.
Put in big zip lock bag.
When ya get to the farm, put the bag into the refrigerator.
When ready to eat some...pull them our and nuc 'em in micro wave for a few secs.....

Captain
03-08-2015, 09:34 PM
lol.. Gotta steal that Cap'n.. I'm going to take *so much* abuse. :D

It's even funnier cause it's real...
http://abcnews.go.com/News/give-it-to-your-woman-pants-care-instructions-divide-twitterverse/blogEntry?id=15858102&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Niner
03-09-2015, 05:58 AM
Bacon : http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/how-to-make-bacon-in-the-microwave.html

Baking....well....maybe...needs more research. Jury's still out: http://chefinyou.com/2010/08/baking-in-microwave-mode/

Thumper
03-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Lynn will many times cook bacon in our countertop toaster oven. I remember in the military, that's the way the mess hall made their bacon ... a bazillion cookie sheets of baked bacon. I can't really tell the difference from fried.