PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I gots a question ...

Thumper
03-08-2015, 10:25 AM
At these estate sales, I run across quite a few battery powered items that are worth some money on the collectors market (games, clocks, toys, old flashlights, etc) ... or even more modern, electrical gadgets. The FIRST thing I do is open the battery door and 9 times out of 10, the batteries had been left in them, leaked, and the device is worthless except, in some cases, can be used as a display piece only. Why is it we can't seem to build a truly leak-proof battery? Heck, I've personally experienced batteries that have started leaking before they even go bad (drained of power).

What brings this up is, I remember as a kid, there was always a message on batteries that said if your device is ruined by a leaky battery, to send it in to the battery manufacturer and they'd replace it ... or compensate you for it. What happened to those promises and why? I have a modern "Energizer" battery here on my desk and see NO guarantee regarding leakage.

Why do I ask? I ran across an old battery operated toy at a sale this weekend. Something that got stuck in the back of a closet many years ago and forgotten. I dug it out and just "KNEW" I'd find a mess behind the battery door, but couldn't believe it when I found a pristine, 1955 Eveready battery inside! Heck, the toy ... an early, crude, electronic game from the 50's which doesn't bring enough money to justify shipping ... will most likely get tossed, but believe it or not, there are old battery collectors out there and this single D-cell battery might bring $20 or so!

BUT ... referring back to my original question ... why can't we make a "leak-proof" battery in this day and age? This one, as I mentioned remembering above, has the leak-proof guaranty on the case. (hmmm, side note, I just learned something and realized both words, "guaranty" and "guarantee" passed spellcheck .. I guess it'll fly either way) Anyway, here are some pics of my "new" 60 year old battery I'll be listing it on "The Bay" later today. Looks like it just came off the shelf! It still has a 20-cents price tag from McCrory's and the date on the tag is 4/55! Finding a reference for this battery (a picture) was a bitch. It may be pretty rare as I found numerous pics of most every other design made, EXCEPT this one. I finally found it in an old magazine ad, so I'm also posting the ad I found in Collier's Magazine from October 28, 1955.

4464 4465 4470 4467 4469 4468

Buckrub
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
I dunno. I know that battery technology has advanced some (Lithium Ion, rechargeable NiCad, etc) but not enough........in fact, it is widely held that the main reason there has not been another total explosion in the handheld electronic world is that batteries don't exist to power them properly. If/when battery technology jumps way ahead, we'll all be doin more with less!

Niner
03-09-2015, 05:37 AM
Maybe.....just maybe, it's got something to do with the country(s) where they are being manufactured????
Not ALL countries have the same safety standards that we do here in the US of A.

Thumper
03-09-2015, 09:02 AM
I don't know Niner ... I used to haul loads of Energizer batteries from the plant (Ohio I think?) when I was driving ... man-o-man, talk about some heavy loads! They knew PERSACTLY how many batteries they could throw on my truck to hit the 80,000 lb. mark! In fact, I have a couple sitting on my desk now that say, "Made in USA" on them. I'm sure they have some manufactured elsewhere ... no clue, but I'd think they are manufactured to the same specs, unless you're talking counterfeit stuff. My brother worked for the Duracell plant in Tennessee for many years (Cleveland, TN) and I also hauled loads out of there. I'd always try to work my down time so I could visit with him when picking up a load. Actually, he worked in the manufacturing plant and the labeling plant was a few miles down the road.

I just wish they still had that "will replace your flashlight" guarantee on their products. I have a shit-load of ruined Mini-Maglites here that are junk due to leaky batteries. I keep one in the console of Lynn's car as well as the console of my truck for emergencies. I also have one in my tool box ... they all go through long periods of non-use. Occassionally, I'll think to check those things to see if they work and replace the batteries if needed. Damned if I don't check them and sometimes find the batteries have leaked. I have the same problem with my little backpack I take hunting with me. I keep a Mini-Maglite in that also and sometimes forget to take it out when hunting season ends. Sure enough, when next season rolls around, I sometimes have a ruined flashlight.

The problem with the Maglites (the minis) is that once that forward battery swells a little bit, there's no way to get it out! There are all sorts of tricks on the net, like getting a long drill bit, drilling a hole in the bottom of the battery, then getting a long screw to screw into it and yank it out with pliers, etc, etc, etc. Everyone has their method ... but once you get the battery out (IF you can get it out), chances are the light is ruined anyway. I couldn't tell you how many I've thrown away or have stuck in "junk drawers" throughout the house. I sure wish they still had that "leak-proof" guarantee ... I have a small fortune in ruined flashlights here. In fact, I just opened my desk drawer and have three of them rtight here ... all three have a swollen battery stuck in them. Not sure of the brand, but I only use Energizer or Duracell. This is just a small sample of my junk Maglites.

HideHunter
03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
When I was researching trail cams, the guy I ended up buying from, said they recommend Duracell or Energizers. Said they have had incidents of Ray-o-Vacs bursting in extreme temperatures.

Buckrub
03-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Trailcampro.com, who I trust implicitly for game camera advice and service, recommend NEVER to use an alkaline battery in any game cam. Lithium Ion or Rechargeable NiCad only.

BarryBobPosthole
03-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Al Kaline was a Tiger wasn't he?

BKB

Buckrub
03-09-2015, 10:49 AM
But now he's old and leaks.

Thumper
03-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Update! That was fun. I listed this battery the day I posted this thread. I had no clue how to price it, so I let the market do the work for me and simply listed it as a 7-day auction. Well, this old dead-ass flashlight battery sold for $40 last night. Kinda cool for sumpin' that most people thought was trash. :D

Captain
03-16-2015, 05:19 PM
You could sell ice to Eskimos.

Thumper
03-16-2015, 05:21 PM
You could sell ice to Eskimos.

Hmmmm, how much do you think they'd pay? ;)