PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of geek speak

LJ3
03-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Finally got a new laptop on the way for my bidness processing.

ASUS ROG 17.3" monitor
2.4Ghz quad core CPU
32GB RAM
1TB hard drive
256GB SSD (solid state hard drive)
GEForce top of the line video card with blazing onboard CPU and 4GB video RAM

As you were... I realize this won't interest anyone but I'm REALLY EXCITED and had to tell someone!!!

Buckrub
03-12-2015, 12:50 PM
I got one of those (on your suggestion) years ago. Yawnn......you're SO yesterday.

Seriously, congrats. Nice machine.

Egghead
03-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Like! Should help with upcoming LJFS, amirite?

BarryBobPosthole
03-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Terrabytes. Fucking amazing. I worked on 75 baud teletype orderwire circuits in 1975. And we had a 'state ofthe art' 9600 bps Codex modem at our tech control in '77.
Fricken amazing.

BKB

Thumper
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Barry, the "state-of-the-art" computer we worked with in the early 70's was housed in it's own air-conditioned building and the building was bigger than any house I've ever lived in! That's ALL that was in there, JUST the computer!. I was told it was the same exact computer that NASA used for their space missions ... just different programming. I wouldn't doubt a top of the line laptop these days could prolly do what that old clunker did.

Here's an ariel view of our ops area where I worked (on the right) and the outside circular rings, to the left, are our antenaes (the FLR-9, which we called the Elephant Cage) and the round building in the center of the antenaes (we called it the Roundhouse) is where the computer was. (it's MUCH bigger than it looks as the antennas dwarf anything near them.) We could hear a walkie-talkie in Hanoi!

Man-o-man, times have changed!

LJ3
03-12-2015, 03:20 PM
Like! Should help with upcoming LJFS, amirite?

Correct Sir!

My current machine is just about dead now. When I load images up for processing the CPU temp spikes and the fan cranks up and I just pray that it holds on. I can't complain about ASUS machines, though. I've used about every brand of laptop out there and ASUS is the only one that's never shit the bed and had to be rebuilt for one reason or another.

The only downside is now I have to learn Winders 8. Not looking forward to that.

BarryBobPosthole
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Thump, some day archaeoligists will dig that site up and ink its some kind of Stonehenge.

BKB

Thumper
03-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I went back a few years ago ... you can barely see it as the jungle has completely taken it over. In the pic, it's cleared out all around for security, but it looks like something from an Indiana Jones movie nowadays. The ops bldg was leveled when we pulled out. The Roundhouse is still there, but is gutted and nothing but an empty shell with an underground tunnel to where the ops building was (for running cable). The antennae itself is basically gone, but the dipoles are still standing. Weird to see it now ... Agent Orange kept the area clear when we were there. Now you'd be hard-pressed to see it from the air.

Egghead
03-12-2015, 08:13 PM
The only downside is now I have to learn Winders 8. Not looking forward to that.

http://www.classicshell.net/ - you're welcome!

Buckrub
03-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Terrabytes. Fucking amazing. I worked on 75 baud teletype orderwire circuits in 1975. And we had a 'state ofthe art' 9600 bps Codex modem at our tech control in '77.
Fricken amazing.

BKB

I carried a card deck back and forth when I started programming. And 9600 baud? Heck, you forget.........that was the rate all right, but most circuits were Multi Drop! The party lines of terminal processing. IBM 360 and 370 mainframes, 3330 disk drives, tape drives, card readers.........

oh my.........and I can't remember where I parked my truck.

LJ3
03-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Those multi-drop SLDC/SNA links were a nightmare to troubleshoot!

Big Muddy
03-13-2015, 03:04 PM
No idea what you guys are talking about, but I like my new iphone 5 S(free) and hearing aids(NOT free)!!! ;)