PDA

View Full Version : any shade tree mechancs on here

quercus alba
03-18-2015, 06:40 PM
I have a 2005 Honda civic and my wipers stopped working. I ordered a new $100 motor but I could go pick it up, they started working again. The next time I tried to use them, bam nothing happened. two or three days later, they start back working. I dunno what is the matter. Any ideers before I buy the motor. Somebdy said something about a possible loose connection in the pulse module, not real sure what he was talking about, apparently it's a mini mother board for the wiper motor. any advice would be greatly depreciated

Chicken Dinner
03-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Beats me. I just spent $400 having a new "motherboard" in my refrigerator today. Heck, I could have bought a new laptop for that.

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2015, 08:14 PM
If you have a multimeter, you could wait until they fail and then see if there voltage getting to the wiper motor. Should be fairly easy to find the power and ground leads. Well. It SHOULD be. Might not be. Ayway,that'd be my first test. And them stopping intermittently leads me away from a circuit board failure as I'dthink they'd fail hard if they failed. Be sure to check connectors. That's a common intermittent cause.
Or hit it with a 12 oz ball peen hammer.

BKB

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
03-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Could be a moisture issue. Do they work/don't work when raining or dry? Any correlation there?

BarryBobPosthole
03-18-2015, 09:08 PM
He probably doesn't turn them on too often when its dry.

I noticed that me being a Senior Noticer III.

BKB

quercus alba
03-18-2015, 10:01 PM
I have noticed they work when it warms up later in the day but not early

Bwana
03-18-2015, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a loose electrical connection.

Thumper
03-18-2015, 11:21 PM
No clue where it might be on a Honda Civic, but the first thing I'd look at is the w/s wiper relay. It could be sticking and causing the intermittant problem. That would be the quickest, easiest and cheapest thing to try first. If you find out where it is and your wipers quit, try to give the relay a hard "tap" with a screwdriver handle or a heavy coin, etc. They're usually in the fuse block under the dash or many times in a seperate fuse block under the hood ... usually on top of one of the fender wells. Just an educated guess.

(your owner's manual should show where it's located)

Sunshine
03-18-2015, 11:35 PM
From my son whose had a civic:

Loose wire some were or i think its the armature to coil may have a bad spot, it would cause that. Seriously the best idea is to replace motor.

DeputyDog
03-19-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm surprised that Thump didn't tell you that you should have bought a Toyota and you wouldn't have had any problem at all. ;)

Niner
03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Have you checked the oil?

Thumper
03-19-2015, 08:24 AM
I'm surprised that Thump didn't tell you that you should have bought a Toyota and you wouldn't have had any problem at all.

I would .... but I hate to kick a man while he's down. ;)

Actually, I hung up my wrenches long ago ... for all I know, they don't even use relays anymore ... could be all circuit board type stuff these days. With my "old school" knowledge, a relay or loose wire/poor or corroded connection is the first thing I'd check for an intermittent problem like that. (Barry's test would indicate a problem here IF you can catch it when it's not working) Worst case, a bad spot on the armature ... which would mean a motor replacement.

BarryBobPosthole
03-19-2015, 09:34 AM
Damn, 12 posts and nobody has suggested SeaFoam! Gotta be a record.

BKB

Thumper
03-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Damn, 12 posts and nobody has suggested SeaFoam! Gotta be a record. BKB

Ha ha! You dumb ol' Okie! I'm SURE that was the first thing he tried and it goes without mention. Right Q/A? Ummm ... Q/A? :D

quercus alba
03-19-2015, 11:11 AM
only use seafoam for some of my, um more "exotic" interests. My usual cure all is 150 grains of Nosler Partition at about 2800 fps. My wife said I really needed to use a more conventional method this time.

All this time I thought that was conventional methodology

Buckrub
03-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Googled it and found a lot of info.

http://repairpal.com/wipers-wont-park-due-to-windshield-wiper-motor-failure-531

quercus alba
03-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Danke

Thumper
03-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Not parking is a far cry from "occassionally inop". Different bird.