PDA

View Full Version : Glad I don't limit myself to estate sales only!

Thumper
03-19-2015, 07:10 PM
Lynn and I went shopping at the local Salvation Army yesterday, after she got off work, as we wanted to pick up a few things for the cruise. (Yes, that's ONE way we cut expenses) Wednesday is 1/2-price day BTW (for clothing and accessories like shoes, purses, etc) and we really scored some nice clothes. (don't knock it 'til you've tried it) ;)

Of course, I always scour the "junk" side of the store for odds & ends I can re-sell on The Bay. Dang, there wasn't much that caught my eye, but I did score a few cool items!

I found an old Penn Peerless No. 9 baitcaster reel that looks brand-spankin' new ... NO sign it's ever been used ... and picked it up for $6.99. I listed it this afternoon and the bidding was up to $31.00 within the first two hours! Heck, there's still a week to go.

4530 4531

4532 4533

I also found a set of three Gerber, full tang, walnut handled, kitchen knives ... an 8" slicer, a 5 1/2" utility and a 4" paring knife. An identical set just sold last week for $101.00! I'll be listing these tonight. As an added bonus, they were in a Wusthof (Solingen) box and I can sell the box itself for an easy $10. ;)

4534 4535 4536

I have a few other goodies I stumbled upon, but I think these are the things that would most interest this crowd. Heck, I gots a cruise to pay for, ya' know? :D

jb
03-19-2015, 07:19 PM
That Penn was a standard Great Lakes Salmon reel back when I started in the 70's.
Excellent reels, that one is in nice shape.

Thumper
03-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Yeah Bubba, as far as I can tell, it's never been used. I assume it was sitting around as someone's spare for a bazillion years then finally got donated somehow. I couldn't pass it up for $7. I'm not sure when this one was made, but I think the very early #9's had plastic spools.

Thumper
03-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Well cool! The auction closed on the reel this afternoon. Went for $50.00! (Well, $49.74 actually) A tidy little profit I might add. ;)