PDA

View Full Version : Love it .. Hate it.. Boots..

HideHunter
03-23-2015, 12:45 PM
"Love it.. Hate It.. (mostly, hate it)" is a perfect description of my on-going quest to find a decent rubber boot. There are a few qualifications. I need a boot to be truly *water proof* for crying out loud. Needs to be comfortable to walk in. Next, and this is a big one - I need a sole with *traction*. Needs to be at least 16" tall. Durability.. real problem

1. You wouldn't think "water proof" would be a factor with rubber boots. but, keeping them that way. Went through a pair of Mucks in two months - holes in the foot and Neoprene tops within days. Easily the worst $109 (on sale) I have spent in years.

2. Comfort.. Friend gave me a pair of Cabela's knee boots. So stiff, you can't wear them across the yard without rubbing blisters.

3. Soles.. Single biggest problem. I have a "bad leg" and I need something that *bites*. Most (especially that ridiculous "chain tread" crap offered by Bean and Cabela's - and worse, whatever that little "stippled" thing is, offered by Muck) are at best useless and at worst - dangerous. Cabela's and Bean have both offered more aggressive soles on their "rubber/leather" boots in the past.. owned several pair - loved them. They've both been discontinued... naturally.

4. Durability.. and goes hand in hand with #1. I admit, I put *a lot* of miles on a pair of boots; but, it would be really nice if I could get a boot that will last more than one season.

and this brings me to the reason for my rant. I have found a boot that comes very close to fitting my needs. The 18" Lacrosse Burly with the "Air Trac" sole is a superb boot. I do wish they offered that sole in the Grange - available un-insulated.

But the "durability" thing comes back to bite me. I'm on my third pair in approximately 5 years and at around $100 a pop.. I'm a little frustrated. These boots have all cracked in exactly the same place (where they flex) first on the outside - followed soon by the inside. To add insult to injury - *nothing* I've found will repair them.. including their own Lacrosse Boot and Wader Seal. Most products won't stick to them and those that do, crack in exactly the same place within days.

I have an email into them being "reviewed". I don't expect anything from them - I don't much do "receipts and warranties". I vented to them - now I've vented to you.. Now I'll continue to look for boots. ;) Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Buckrub
03-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Muck

HideHunter
03-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Didn't read my post did you?

"Went through a pair of Mucks in two months - holes in the foot and Neoprene tops within days. Easily the worst $109 (on sale) I have spent in years."

Buckrub
03-23-2015, 01:26 PM
Missed that. Then why not send them back? I've had a pair for 12 years, not one crack or leak.

How about Baffin?

HideHunter
03-23-2015, 01:37 PM
12 years? on a pair of Mucks? Uh... I don't think we travel in the same circles. I can tear them up (I mean literally rip holes in them - top and bottom ) faster than you can buy them.

Don't see anything in the Baffin line that would serve my purpose. They make some decent looking boots. Couple there caught my eye for cold-weather wear. I'm afraid I'm chasing ghosts. ;)

Big Muddy
03-23-2015, 01:38 PM
hide, i am tough on boots and absolutely loathe boots that fit tight around my calves and difficult to remove, i.e. Lacrosse.
I wear a size 14, and these are flared at the top for easy removal....they are prolly too cheap for your taste, but they are the best ones ive ever owned.
BassPro order #2015631

Big Skyz
03-23-2015, 01:39 PM
http://www.xtratufboots.com/

Thumper
03-23-2015, 01:41 PM
During my last trip to Canada for a bear hunt/walleye fishing trip, I asked my outfitter friend up there the same question. I just had to go dig out my old "bear hunting" backpack to see if the note was still in there ... it was! (Note: I never tried them, simply asked for his advice for the next time I needed boots)

I have two listed, but will admit, I really know nothing about either brand except for what that ol' Canuckian told me. Dang, I wish the memory of writing this note was fresh in my mind because reading it now leaves questions ... but there should be enough info to research it a bit.

1) I have Zappos/Bogs written down, but I'll be darned if I remember what that means ... I "THINK" Zappos is where he buys them (he's in the outback, so prolly mail order?) and I believe "Bogs" is the name of the boot (or manufacturer?)

2) I also have Extra Tough ... then a line drawn through it and written in is, "Xtratuf" ... I assume he corrected my spelling for me.

Sorry ... that's all I gots.

Thumper
03-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Well dang! Looks like B/S was posting while I was two-finger pecking. Make that two votes for Xtratuf's! ;)

HideHunter
03-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Can't "find" your boots with the info given eddie. I did look at their boots (redhead) but according to the reviews they have trouble with "cracking" too.

Looks like we have a "sole" problem with the xtratuff - but that Boggs Diamondback might be worth another look. (twice the price if I could get at least twice the service)... "World Slam" looks like another possibility. Thanks guys.. I'm still looking.

Thumper
03-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Well, that explains what Zappos is ... I looked up the Bogs Diamondback and found it on Zappos.com. I hate when I write myself notes, then when I read 'em later I'm not sure what I wrote or why. ;)

BTW ... it's "Bogs" ... with one "G".

Big Muddy
03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Hide, I found the basspro updated link for the boots....the reviews were 5 positive comments and 1 neg. comment from some idiot guy that received a busted box in shipment, and wore them, anyway, rather than returning them....made in the USA, too.

http://www.basspro.com/Ranger-Hunting-Boots-for-Men-or-Youth/product/130327064637112/

HideHunter
03-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Ah, that got me there. Those do look pretty good for the money. I may be at Bass Pro in the next couple weeks. I'll check them out. thnx

Captain
03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
Missed that. Then why not send them back? I've had a pair for 12 years, not one crack or leak. How about Baffin?

They will last 12 more years no further than you walk to your stand.

Buckrub
03-23-2015, 06:56 PM
I sure do hope so.

Arty
03-23-2015, 11:21 PM
They will last 12 more years no further than you walk to your stand.

Hahahaha...

When we (me and the boy, and hank and his boy, and niner) were at the farm this last fall.... Cappy walked to his stand, forgot the key to unlock it, walked back to the truck And got the key, then walked back to the stand, then remembered he forgot his phone (I think, or maybe it was something else) then walked BACK to the truck again.
Mind you he was a good 500 yards from his stand ....

So I wouldn't expect ANY boots larke has to last all that long. Especially as short as he is, he takes two steps for my one. :)

Big Muddy
03-24-2015, 01:28 AM
here ya go, Hide.....i gots my $35 dollar rubber boots on, with a nice slab on the bottom of my boat....all the while, fighting off those day'um cottonmossakins, that kept trying to fall into the back of my boat. ;)

Thumper
03-24-2015, 08:53 AM
I had a pair of those Muddy ... in fact I wore one out and bought another. I used 'em for work boots (pressure washing) but I did a LOT of walking as well as climbing ladders and wore them most of every day. They lasted a fair amount of time (no major complaints) but they'd have been much better for short walks to a stand, or fishing, etc. That said, with the tons of walking I did, they weren't very comfortable and were borderline blister makers. Let's just say I wouldn't want to run trap lines with 'em.

Big Muddy
03-24-2015, 09:39 AM
I rabbit and squirrel hunt in them for hours at a time, and have no complaints....however, I do use an additional thin padded sole insert in each boot.

Their durability is due to them being PVC, not rubber.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2015, 10:12 AM
Now what do you think makes a copperheaded rattlemoccasin climb out on a limb like that! To catch birds? I've always wondered that. Was fishing once on Lake Oolagah with a friend and we pulled into a cove where I swear every tree had snakes in them like that. Figured it must be a swarming or breding deal. Must've been fifty snakes.

Anyway, that picture gave me a pee shiver!

BKB

Buckrub
03-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Sun I guess.

I know my 70lb thrust Maxxum can barely outrun one of 'em when he's mad...................

Big Muddy
03-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Yep, they were all over the pond like that, Phole....it's warmed up into the '70s here....they are coming outta hibernation, and just getting warmed up, fixing to breed.

A few years ago, my Dad and I got into our old pond boat, and noticed a nice-sized mossakin, scurry under one of the seats....couldn't get him out, so we just hopped into the boat, and went on fishing....you really can't concentrate on fishing, with a day'um snake under your seat!!! ;)

Buckrub
03-24-2015, 10:26 AM
And P.S.

Sorry that y'all all have worse luck than I do on boots. My Mucks are ancient and going strong. Friend of mine has some that got a leak, he put Gorilla Glue on 'em and they're fine for years.

I also have a pair of boots for about every 10 degree change in temp! My feet freeze to absolute death.........and over the years, I've accumulated a lot of 'em. Only ones I ever had tear up too soon were Rocky's. Best slip ons (wellingtons) are Georgia Boot. I have Lacrosse Ice Kings for super cold, but can't walk far in 'em. Mostly I wear the Mucks, they let me walk plus are generally warm.

Sunshine
03-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Only good snake is a dead snake.
You all can keep those things.
Hate snakes. I see one, its a dead snake.
P/s I'm not afraid of them, just hate them.
Being from panama, they were all deadly.

Poor garden snakes even get chopped up.

HideHunter
03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Strange how the human mind works. I went to bed last night fully convinced I'd never buy another pair of "those worthless bastards". Woke up this morning thinking "boots" (obviously has been on my mind) and for some unknown reason I had an epiphany. Maybe a hundred dollars a year isn't that bad for a boot I *really* like. Heaven knows I spend more on less. Problem solved..

Thanks for the input. I may still try on a pair of the Redheads eddie. If I can get along with them they'd still be good to knock around in. Besides - I still get a 30% VIP discount on all Bass Pro products. :D

Big Muddy
03-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Yep, Hide, I keep mine right beside the door on the back porch....I don't even have to pull 'em on....I just stick my foot in 'em, and they slip right in.

HideHunter
03-24-2015, 01:53 PM
lol.. Just received an email back from Lacrosse. They can "understand my frustration and my hesitancy to stay with the same boot". Offered me 20% on any other boot in their line from their website. Of course they are getting $119 for the same boot I can buy for 85 on another site. About what I expected. ;)

Bwana
03-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear the company treated you that way HH. The companies I have dealt with in the past have treated me much better. For example, Rocky Boots would always replace any of their boots that leaked, no questions asked. That being said, I quickly tired of wearing out their boots after only 1.5 years of using them so switched to Danner. To date the only pair of those that leaked did so after 13 years of use so I never did check to see how good their warranty was. ;)

Anyway, good luck on your search for the perfect boot.

DeputyDog
03-24-2015, 05:16 PM
I only wear Danners. I can several years out of them wearing them every day at work, in all seasons and weather. I had one pair start to come apart from the sole, but that was when they were about 8 years old. The only thing I need to do have them resolved every couple of years.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
DD, I have a pair of Elk Hunters that refuse to wear out. They'll likely outlast me. I think I've had them 10 years easily. Broke in well, they're waterproof, and tough as nails. Only thing is I don't need an insulated boot but probably one month out of the year. The rest of the year I use Cabelas Outfitter boots that are uninsulated. They're waterproof and leather (mytwo requirements) and light weight. They just cover the ankle though so prolly not High enough for what you need.

BKB

HideHunter
03-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Yeah - I've got a pair of Danners and a pair of Irish Setters that do me a great job. I live next to the river and hunt a lot close around here. Where you have rivers - you have creeks and our "creeks" here are what many states call "rivers". Many times, especially in the spring, I have to hunt for a place that I can cross with knee boots and sometimes I have to carry hip boots if I *know* I'm going to cross. Amazon had them on sale for 76 and change - free shipping. Order placed.

BarryBobPosthole
03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
We use boats for that here in Oklahoma.

BKB

Captain
03-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Best pair of boots I've ever had that lasted forever was a pair of green Kangaroo Browning boots.
They were SO light and completely waterproof.