PDA

View Full Version : Awww CRAP!

Thumper
03-28-2015, 12:54 AM
Getting all packed up for the trip. Got our HUGE suitcase packed and ready to start on the next one. Went to zip up the suitcase and the frigging zipper busted! Split apart and ain't repairable. Now I have to run out and grab a new suitcase tomorrow and repack this stuff. Oh well, it could'a been worse, it could have broken when packing to LEAVE the ship. If it had to happen, I guess I'm glad it happened here at home. This isn't a good omen! :(

It looks like we're packing for an Army. It's an 11-day cruise so we have "day clothes" for shore excursions, etc. as well as evening clothes ... clothes for "dress casual" dinners and two formal dinners, etc. etc, etc. So, I have to take 3 pair of shoes (of course I'll always be wearing one pair) ... decent casual shoes for shipboard, crap shoes for shore excursions and dress shoes for dinners. Trust me, a couple pairs of size 15 shoes will practically fill a suitcase all by themselves! Then add Lynn's shoes ... arrrggghhh! The old days of "steamer trunks" don't sound so bad right now! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
03-28-2015, 01:22 AM
You on a cruise ship excursion is a situation comedy right there, bud. We took an 11 day cruise once and part of it was the Panama Canal. Hope yours is good.

Thump story here. We were coming into Costa Rica overnight and i had a dream about Dad calling my name and woke up at 3:00AM out of a deep sleep because of it. Five seconds later the phone rang in our suite and it was my son Dan telling me Dad had just fell at home and had broke his hip. A year and five months later, I had the exact same and the phone rang and it was the retirement center calling to tell me Dad had died. Tell me people aren't connected in ways we don't really understand.

BKB

Thumper
03-28-2015, 01:47 AM
My (then) wife and I were living in Los Angeles and moved to Florida to take care of my grandmother's house in Orlando (1977). She had entered a nursing home in North Carolina (she had a summer house there) and the house down here was falling apart, so I moved in to do some repairs and watch over the contents, etc. My uncle in Tennessee eventually removed her from the nursing home and took her in at his house. (My grandfather passed away in 1964)

My wife and I slept in my grandparents old bedroom and one night around 3:00 am, my wife suddenly sat straight up in the bed. She sat up so quickly, it woke me up. I asked WTF was going on and she told me she had just seen and talked with my grandmother ... but it wasn't really her ... it was her ghost. My wife dreamed she was in the kitchen washing dishes and my grandmother's ghost appeared and taked to her. She said my grandmother told her this is her kitchen now and to please take care of it. I told my wife it was just a dream and to go back to sleep. The next morning I was getting dressed for work and the phone rang. It was my uncle calling to let me know my grandmother had died in her sleep that night. I think I know exactly what time she passed away!

To this day it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up anytime I tell that story.

Big Muddy
03-28-2015, 09:18 AM
When are ya'll boarding, Thump???

Oops, never mind, you might not want to divulge that info. on the net....someone might wanna break in, and steal your cats. ;)

Buckrub
03-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Enjoy.

We use Walmart Sacks for suitcases.

Big Muddy
03-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Enjoy.

We use Walmart Sacks for suitcases.

Paper or plastic??? ;)

HideHunter
03-28-2015, 01:32 PM
lol.. That's the one thing you can buy cheap at "sales" here. Luggage - even good luggage - brings zilch.

Buckrub
03-28-2015, 02:04 PM
Paper or plastic??? ;)

Silly.

Plastic. In case it rains.

Niner
03-29-2015, 06:07 AM
I wasn't gonna tell this but...........

My Dad was a heavy ceegar smoker until he had to quit a few years before he passed.
My wife's aunt over in Tuscaloosa was a chain cigarette smoker even through her cancer treatments.

Lately I have been catching whiffs, and strong smells, of ceegar and/or cigarette smoke. Inside the house, out in the yard, in the truck....just about anywhere...and neither Di nor I smoke!!!

Thumper
03-29-2015, 09:57 AM
Niner, ya' need to kick Di's butt and tell her to at least stick with non-smoking boyfriends! Ha! Just kidding .... you KNOW I love bof'a youse dufes! ;)

Hidey-Ho, that's my plan persactly. I opted to borrow a large suitcase from a friend and upon examining all of our other luggage, it's obvious it seen it's better days. Man-o-man, airlines are TOUGH on luggage ... and ours has been through quite a bit of traveling over the years. You're right ... estate sales are the place to buy luggage ... EVERYBODY has it, but some seldom use it. The good part is, people don't seem to buy the stuff and it's usually marked dirt cheap so they can get rid of it. What pisses me off is I was at a sale on Thursday and there was a set of American Tourister luggage. I remember actually taking a close look at it as it appeared to be brand new and never used. It had a large suitcase, a carry-on size suitcase and two carry-on type shoulder bags ... all still in it's factory plastic bags. It looked as if it may have been a gift that never got used ... or they simply bought a set in case they needed it. (?) The set was marked at $15.00!!! Dang! I sure wish I'd have inspected ours a bit more closely before going to that sale. I have "set of luggage" marked on my "to buy at estate sale list" right now and our current luggage is headed for the trash heap as soon as I find replacements.

Muddy, leaving tonight and will spend the night in Ft. Lauderdale ... cruise sails tomorrow. Oh, and the cats are heavily armed and have the safe combination in case they need more ammo! ;)