PDA

View Full Version : A hail of a day....

Big Muddy
04-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Pic of our super-cell hail storm, yesterday....weather went from sunny and clear, to this, in about 15 minutes....lots of damaged vehicles and roof tops.

Captain
04-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Damn.
How would you like to have been in a crappie boat when that blew up?

Chicken Dinner
04-01-2015, 09:56 AM
Behold the awesome power of nature.

LJ3
04-01-2015, 10:13 AM
I remember back in the late 90's one of those came thru our neighborhood. I wound up getting a new roof, new siding and the exterior of my truck pretty much replaced.

Big Skyz
04-01-2015, 10:19 AM
I hate that crap. Just year before last, new roof, new gutters, new windows, new garage door, plus my pick up received $5000.00 worth of body damage. Not a fan of hail at all. Hope you and yours came through it all okay.

No-till Boss
04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
It hailed at my house from 10:20pm till 11:20pm last night almost non-stop . No damage that I can find tho.

Big Muddy
04-01-2015, 10:20 AM
ya'll got that right!!!....Cap, you don't know how close I was to going crappie fishing after lunch yesterday....we had tried doing some field work, but it's still just too wet....there were some isolated cells over in Ark., near No-till's area, but not around here....that storm wasn't even on the radar....it just popped up outta no-where....weather sirens were going off all over the county....I woulda got the sheeit beat outta my azz, if I had gotten caught out in my boat. ;)

Bwana
04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
That looks plain NASTY!

BarryBobPosthole
04-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Birddog and I were in my big boat fishing on Lake Spavinaw near here one average overcast day when out of the blue a bolt of lightning hit close enough that we could feel it and the bolt and cannon shot were simultaneous. Without one drop of rain hitting, it started an immediate deluge of hail about the size of nickels. We tried to get to the ramp but couldn't stand the pain to go fast enough to get on plane. Along with that lightning was flashing everywhere. It lasted about five minutes and there was probably an inch of hail on my decks. The scariest shit that's ever happened to me on the water. Lightning just scares the bejeebers out of me on the water.

BKB

Thumper
04-11-2015, 08:49 PM
We had a huge hail storm a few years back and I saw more damage than most any hurricane I've been through. EVERYONE owns a pool here and 99.9% of them are screened in. A good screen guy could have made enough to retire on! Vinyl siding and of course automobiles took a real beating. I was working at the Cadillac dealer in Memphis years ago when we had a big hail storm and every Cadillac (new and used) on the lot was severely damaged. Some of the cars went to the GM training centers to be used in the body shop classes, etc. Many went to the crusher as they could never be sold as new and Cadillac didn't want a bazillion "repaired" cars out there. What a mess!

No-till Boss
04-11-2015, 09:28 PM
We had a huge hail storm a few years back and I saw more damage than most any hurricane I've been through. EVERYONE owns a pool here and 99.9% of them are screened in. A good screen guy could have made enough to retire on! Vinyl siding and of course automobiles took a real beating. I was working at the Cadillac dealer in Memphis years ago when we had a big hail storm and every Cadillac (new and used) on the lot was severely damaged. Some of the cars went to the GM training centers to be used in the body shop classes, etc. Many went to the crusher as they could never be sold as new and Cadillac didn't want a bazillion "repaired" cars out there. What a mess!
Which dealership, I'm not to far from there ?

Thumper
04-11-2015, 09:51 PM
At the time it was Madison Cadillac and was the only Caddie dealer in town. It was a block away from Sun Records (Union Ave) and ALL the stars were regular customers as those were the days when anybody who was anybody, drove a Cadillac. Before the days of Mercedes, BMW's, etc. Elvis would come in quite often and many times around Christmas and bought 10 cars or so as gifts for his friends or business associates. It was a cool time to work there as a h/s kid. I used to make regular trips to Graceland to pick up/deliver his cars if he or Col. Parker didn't bring them in personally. The last time I was in Memphis, the building was vacant and boarded up.

Here he is with his entourage coming up the ramp from the lower lot to the Union Ave. level.

http://www.scottymoore.net/images/55caddy/Cadillac.jpg

And here's what the place looks like nowadays. This is just to the left of where Elvis is standing in the above pic. :(

http://www.scottymoore.net/images/55caddy/Img_9213.jpg

Notice that overhead door to the right side of the above pic. Bert Madison (the owner) would alternate taking hunting trips every year. One year he'd go to Alaska and the next he'd go to Africa. He even built an addition on to his house to make room for more of his trophies. One evening around quitting time he called me to his office and asked me to stick around as he had something he wanted me to see. A bit later a simi-truck backed up to that door and they started unloading his trophies from his last African hunt. Everything from an elephant, to Zebra, and ...... well heck, I had no clue what most of 'em were. He made bar stools out of the 4 elephant legs!