PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Tax Question

Buckrub
04-11-2015, 09:42 AM
If the staggered rate income tax is more far, more progressive, because it taxes higher rates at higher levels, and vice versa............then why is the Social Security 'tax' not done the same way?

I can only assume it's because the result of lower taxes for lower income........would be lower benefits. But....if the flat rate is fair for one, it should be for the other, right?

Just a passing thought.

Thumper
04-11-2015, 03:30 PM
I may not be completely understanding your question ... but I'm not so sure it's not "apples and oranges". The tax "rate" may be the same, but the benefits vary. What you receive from SSI is based on your income from the 35 years you were paid the most. Lower pay, lower returns and vicey-versy.

I'm not sure that's what you wanted to hear, but it seems it would all come out in the wash as far as SSI is concerned. Basically, the more you pay in, the more you receive. (to a point) Lower what the lower income folks contribute and you'd lower their SSI pay-out even more (which you kinda-sorta touched on).

Or, I'm sure I prolly missed your point altogether.

BarryBobPosthole
04-11-2015, 03:39 PM
My answer to most everything since retirement is : "Beats the fuck out of me."

Now, I need to go raise a toast to my dog.
BKB

Buckrub
04-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I didn't have a point. I just had a question that came to me.

My point is pretty much what Posthole said.......but I did wonder why it's that way.

Thumper
04-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Well, I guess all three of us retired folks have the same answer then. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
04-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Given that so many of us are retired now, maybe we need to change the name of the site to......Goodbowelmovement.

BKB

Buckrub
04-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Ooohhh. Now you finally understand, Grasshopper.

My work is almost done.

Thumper
04-11-2015, 05:32 PM
We just need to get Bucky to share some of his Mucilax!

Buckrub
04-11-2015, 05:33 PM
There is a line...............that I cannot cross even for those in dire need.