PDA

View Full Version : A (another) new start

Hombre
04-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Two and a half years ago the family and I made a big move. We moved away from Oklahoma and my job at Verizon, and went to Microsoft in Washington. Together we had lived in Oklahoma for 17 years, and I'd spent the roughly the same amount of time at Verizon. At the time it was a super tough decision. We had family, and friends, and work-friends...a strong life foundation had been built. But, we came to the decision that a move was needed for two reasons:

- One the job market and opportunity just wasn't in Tulsa. I was lucky in my early career to work for some great people in the industry (Telecom) at a time when big data, and technology was still growing. I took a lot of lessons during that time and always felt like I was learning, our own BBP played a major role in that growth. But something changed along the way and I no longer felt like I was growing in the last 5 years. The combination of no longer growing my skills and limited upward mobility really pushed me over the change edge.

- Two my wife and the kids had never lived anywhere else. Washington gave us an opportunity as a family to have new experiences, take in different scenery and activities, and live among people who live life in a different way or have different view points.

All in all the move was a fantastic one. As a family we have done a lot more camping in Washington (summer months are great). We also just came back from Oregon, where Cade (Son) and I learned to surf where they filmed Point Break. Both kids are fully integrated in school, and Kenzi (daughter) will be a full time college student next year as a 16 year old.

Microsoft gave me something I hadn't had in a long time and that was the opportunity to learn. The first year was stressful, I was definitley behind, but really that made it more exciting. I spent the last two years in some really cool places (Singapore, Japan, Korea, Istanbul,Prague,Paris,Amsterdam,Macau,Hong Kong) and learned more about fiber, IP network, and finance than I wanted to at times. The whole experience has been awesome. I have zero complaints!

With that said its again time to take a chance. Tomorrow I start with Facebook. Although I'm siting in Silicon Valley today my home base will still be in Washington, and I'm happy about that. I'm looking forward to this new challenge, and couldn't do it without the support of my family.

Thumper
04-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Cool beans! I seriously doubt you'll have a problem due to your positive attitude.

I agree with the trying new things. While I was building my career, I started moving wherever a better opportunity opened up and lived in half a dozen states along the way. I experienced a few bumps during that process, but I was realistic in my expectations and a snag here and there was not a huge suprise.

I hope all goes well with the new endeavor. Good luck!

BarryBobPosthole
04-12-2015, 10:37 PM
You've done well Grasshopper.

No shit, really really well. Sure do miss you and Kathryn and our .friday night steak nights!

BKB

Hombre
04-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks Thump. I've always liked change but also think its all in attitude. I expect things not to go my way once in a while, those are the learning opportunities. I also expect that they'll go right in the long term more than they go wrong. Short story even when they go wrong there is value in the experience.

BBP, thanks you know how I feel about your role in my professional development! Now come visit me you retired hippy!

Hombre
04-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks Thump. I've always liked change but also think its all in attitude. I expect things not to go my way once in a while, those are the learning opportunities. I also expect that they'll go right in the long term more than they go wrong. Short story even when they go wrong there is value in the experience.

BBP, thanks you know how I feel about your role in my professional development! Now come visit me you retired hippy!

Captain
04-13-2015, 06:59 AM
Man that is cool.. Way to go and congrats. I can only see that as a good move. A fulltime 16 year old college student. WOW! Sounds like you all are movers and shakers.
Tell Mark I said howdy. ;-)

Buckrub
04-13-2015, 07:12 AM
Best of luck, bro. Sounds like you turned out ok in spite of Posthole's influence. You must be a strong man!

:)

Don't let CA ruin you, though..............

(I was hoping for the release of a decent Windows from you, but sigh.......guess not! :))

Chicken Dinner
04-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Good luck!

LJ3
04-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Go on with your badself! Sounds like a cool place to go. I have a friend working for Facebook and it's the best job she's ever had. She never stops talking about how much she loves it and how awesome her opportunities are.

Nandy
04-13-2015, 07:02 PM
I still work for Ma Bell, dang, you done good!!!

Hombre
04-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Thanks to all! It was an interesting first day, and I think I'm really going to like it.

Bucky - Wait until windows 10 comes out. Honestly I really didn't mind window 8.1 but I do think that Satya is taking Microsoft in the right direction. I don't necessarily believe that the direction he is taking MSFT is for the 30 and up generations but definitely the 5-25 yrs groups. All kids these days are big on a cloud environment, with the right applications that can work ubiquitously across their tablet, laptop, and phone. That's the direction.....I think Satya has realized he isn't going to win a mobile hardware race with apple so its now available across IOS and Android. Good move in my opinion and will strengthen the windows ecosystem. Finally I won't be in CA I'm staying in Seattle just here for a while.

LJ3 - I think its going to be a great place. They have a great culture of learning and making bold moves. Is she in CA? and in networking?

Captain - I won't be a true mover and shaker until I get to go on one of those Carolina turkey hunts...then I've truly made it! :D

BarryBobPosthole
04-13-2015, 10:22 PM
I still work for Ma Bell, dang, you done good!!!

Nandy, did you ever work for PRTC?

BKB

Nandy
04-13-2015, 10:45 PM
No, I was about to become a vendor/installer for them when I decided to move to continental USA.

BarryBobPosthole
04-13-2015, 11:02 PM
One of my most unforgetable characters at Verizon was a guy that was the prez at PRTC named Aldo Figeuroa. hombre may remember him. I nicknamed him the 'international Man of Mystery'.

Since you work in telecom, you know what I mean by characters.

BKB

Bwana
04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Congrats to you Hombre! I'm sure you will be running the company in no time.