PDA

View Full Version : Comment and Compare...

Big Skyz
04-22-2015, 05:12 PM
A couple years ago I drew a coyote. I thought I had it finished a couple of times, but I was never 100% satisfied with it. Anyway, I finally broke out the original and spent the better part of this week re-working it. Mostly I thinned it out and spent more time on the hair detail/texture. Plus a few other subtle changes like the expression on the face. Anyway boys, let me know if I'm at least getting warmer? I will post what it looked like first and what it looks like now below it, so you can compare.

First version:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/CoyoteT5_zpsxo8nbewh.jpg

Re-worked version:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/CoyoteThinner%204-22-15_zpse9sbooi1.jpg

Buckrub
04-22-2015, 05:15 PM
OK, I JUST got back from Optometrist. "Is 1 or 2 better?".............haha.

Now I gotta do it again?

To me, 2..................jmho.

Thumper
04-22-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm FAR from an artist and my artistic abilities wouldn't fill the fingernail on my pinky. If you hadn't told me the pics are different, I doubt I'd have even noticed. The biggest thing I noticed is a more natural looking drop behind the shoulders on pic 2 since the head is kind of quartered toward the front, twisting the back slightly and raising the shoulders. It gives him a leaner look .. more natural for a wild 'yote I'd think. The first pic looks "softer" ... like a morning fog. The second is "harder" and more detailed. (I don't know the correct terms) Also the shadowing to the rear of the front legs (pic 2) coincides better with the shadowing of the rear legs. Frankly, I don't see a problem with either piece and only a pro would be able to pick anything apart on either one.

Big Skyz
04-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Well Thump for being an amateur you spotted most of the things I was shooting for. :D

LJ3
04-22-2015, 09:09 PM
I prefer the contrast of the first but the detail of the second. More depth detail in the seconds makes the 'yote pop better to me. Why I love shooting portraits with a 200mm lens. You get a natural 3d pop that wide angles won't give you.

Good stuff buddy!

No-till Boss
04-22-2015, 09:26 PM
To me the face looks more like a fox, and I'm sure it's a northern thing the our coyotes are not nearly that wooly looking . You never see a tail like that down here. Sorry if that is too hash, but I primarily hunt coyotes all winter .

No-till Boss
04-22-2015, 09:32 PM
This was a huge one, little over 50lbs

Different view

Arty
04-22-2015, 09:32 PM
To me the face looks more like a fox, and I'm sure it's a northern thing the our coyotes are not nearly that wooly looking . You never see a tail like that down here. Sorry if that is too hash, but I primarily hunt coyotes all winter .

That's a northwest yote no-till. They got more fur than fleas.

Bigsky.... All I can say is.... Well ... "Damn!".

Both look like something out of a magazine or art gallery or something.