PDA

View Full Version : Something new and different ...

Thumper
04-24-2015, 06:24 PM
... but I coundn't pass it up!

Question. Should I feel guilty? I went to an estate sale this morning, but it was handled by an individual family member ... not an official estate sale company. I was actually there to look at some cast iron cookware, but it was all "no-name" stuff, so I wasn't interested. I also wanted to check out some kitchen knives they had ... but, same thing ... just junk. Nothing else in the house really interested me. Actually, there wasn't much left as the family had already taken whatever they wanted. Anyway, there was a closet with a sign on the door that said, "Not For Sale" ... but while I was standing there, the lady opened the closet to put something in there. There was a large coffee table in the way and I offered to give her a hand moving it.

That's when she told me she was saving it because there were actually two of them, but her aunt took the other one and said it was a very expensive table. The lady wasn't sure what she was going to do with it, but due to the fact it was so "expensive", she thought she'd keep it. Well, it didn't look like anything special to me to begin with, but when I moved it for her, I noticed it was VERY heavy for it's size. I took a closer look and discovered it was particle board junk. I didn't want to offend her, but asked her if she was sure that was a match to the table her aunt took and she said the two were a matching set and exactly alike. I then gave her the bad news, showed her what I was talking about and she thanked me, then asked if I could get it out of the closet for her as she may as well sell it.

Ok, so I take it out of the closet and she asked if I could place it next to another table she had in the same room. I looked at the other table and it looked like a nice, quality piece. I then asked if she was sure the table her aunt took wasn't a match for THAT table and she was positive it was not. I took a closer look at the other table and she had a $5 price tag on it. I then told her THAT table was a much nicer table than the one she was originally saving and she said she just needs to get rid of the "junk". Heck, ok, it's not what I'm in to, but I bought this nice, triangle end table for $5 and headed to my next sale. Once I got home, I researched it. It's a mid-century design, solid walnut/oak and they're bringing an easy $300+ all day long! Dang, I may go into the used furniture business!

Buckrub
04-24-2015, 06:39 PM
Shipping???????????

Thumper
04-24-2015, 06:51 PM
I'd use a freight company or possibly FedEx. The one's I checked are selling for $250-$300 plus shipping. I'll try a local eBay sale first and specify local pick-up. Then there's always Craig's List where I could also try to sell it locally. If that's a problem, I'll open it up to open bidding and specify buyer pays shipping. I'm not too worried about it at a $5 procurement price.

As you know, I usually avoid shipping hassles ... but for $5, I'da been crazy not to pick it up!

HideHunter
04-24-2015, 08:32 PM
lol.. forgot to tell you guys about my latest experience with "shipping".

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how Fed Ex stays in business. I had a small box shipped from Ohio on the 15th.. Over 7 days, Went to two places in Ohio - then to Overland Park, KS - then to Kansas City, where it was (get this) *mailed* through the USPS.. But not to me.. - to Fed Ex in Chicago.. where it was then trucked to Moline, IL.Yesterday morning the tracking said it was on the truck enroute to me. Didn't come.. so I checked the tracking again. At 2:29 it was *taken off the truck* and (get this) *mailed* through the USPS.. It was now in Wapello at the PO.. Got it next day..

Now - buddy shipped me a scope from Elk River Falls, KS on Tuesday. USPS "priority". Got it today.. Virtually the same cost..