PDA

View Full Version : I'd be willing to bet .....

Thumper
04-25-2015, 08:54 AM
... I finally found a gun that Captain does NOT have in his safe! ;)

I was reading an article on "punt guns" last night and figured I'd post a couple'a pics here with a short explanation. Talk about kickin' like a mule! I'll bet one'a these puppies would leave a mark! They kicked so hard, the hunters would usually mount them on their duck boats (punts).

Here's an excerpt:

Called the “Punt Gun,” this firearm of unusual size could discharge over a pound of shot at a time, and dispatch upwards of fifty waterfowl in a single go. A punt gun is a type of extremely large shotgun used in the 19th and early 20th centuries for shooting large numbers of waterfowl for commercial harvesting operations and private sport. “Used for duck hunting” isn’t the right expression for aiming this piece of artillery in the general direction of a flock of ducks, firing, and spending the rest of the day picking up the carcasses.

My gun's bigger'n your gun! ;)

HideHunter
04-25-2015, 09:11 AM
My great grand father did some market gunning on the Mississippi. He used one for awhile, though he preferred decoys (live), had some good "fliers" and was very proud of his line of "English callers". These things of course, weren't shot from the shoulder. They were mounted on a skiff. I guess they were a terror to behold. My Grandpa tells of packing ducks into barrels to be sent to Chicago. He also remembers picking ducks "by the spring-box wagon full".

Thumper
04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
Yep, they were shoulder killers fer sure! They called their duck boats "punts" ... hence the name "punt gun".

punt; pənt/

noun
a long, narrow, flat-bottomed boat, square at both ends and propelled with a long pole, used on inland waters chiefly for recreation.

verb
verb: punt;
travel or convey in a punt.

Thumper
04-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Now THIS is duck hunting! Ha! ;)

Buckrub
04-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Heard of 'em. Never saw a picture. I'm skeered of 10 gauge!

No-till Boss
04-25-2015, 11:18 AM
Two threads running, air rifles and punt guns, can we say all over the board ? LOL

Arty
04-25-2015, 01:05 PM
I saw one of those at the NRA museum up in nova. They are BIG suckers!