PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Memories

quercus alba
04-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Thru the years I've owned a variety of shotguns and shot at a variety of varmints with a variety of results. Each has their special moments. I remember my initial experience with a shotgun was a double barrel 410 with 28 inch barrels. You could take a three inch Super X #6 shot and the post oak didn't grow high enough for a squirrel to be safe in. I was just a kid of about ten and thought I was armed with the ultimate weapon until I borrowed a single shot 20 gauge from my cousin. Oh brother, those big yellow high brass shells, I would just dump them out of the box on the bed and put them back in the box over and over.

I remember one September day after school I got home and discovered I only had seven shells left. Plenty for hunting if you were a 13 year old. I walked across the road about half a mile or so and suddenly a quail ran out and I blasted him. another ran out and I blasted him too. Then a third. I picked them up and started back to the woods. Before I got in the woods a big fox squirrel ran up into a pine.....took two shots to bring him down. only two shells left. Before I could make up my mind what to do next, a young foolish cat squirrel came out and started barking at me. One shell left. I turned around and went home. Before I went a hundred yds I jumped up a big cane cutter rabbit. Seven shells, 3 quail, 2 squirrels and a rabbit. One of my best hunting trips ever and I remember it as vividly as if it were yesterday even tho it was over 40 years ago

Big Skyz
04-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a perfect day to me.

Buckrub
04-25-2015, 02:50 PM
See why I love this place so much????????