PDA

View Full Version : Finally planting rice !

No-till Boss
04-27-2015, 11:56 PM
Finally getting to plant some rice in Arkansas, even tho we're a month late. We're on 24 hour days now.

Thumper
04-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Ha ha! Wow! Not what I'm used to. :D

I used to have a little bungalo in a village in N. Thailand right on the edge of the family rice paddy.

Papason would do the prep work.

Mamason would plant.

And babyson would wash the tractor! ;)

Buckrub
04-28-2015, 11:42 AM
Just don't till!

Bwana
04-28-2015, 12:00 PM
That looks like a pretty firm seedbed there ntB, either that or it has been worked a number of time, does the field eventually get flooded?

Thumper
04-28-2015, 12:07 PM
Ummm, for rice, it would DEFINITELY have to be flooded. Not sure if the pic is a planting area or a staging area though.

No-till Boss
04-28-2015, 09:09 PM
That looks like a pretty firm seedbed there ntB, either that or it has been worked a number of time, does the field eventually get flooded?

Excellent question ! All my fields were supposed to be no-till this year, but this being the wettest year I've ever experienced, we've had to work every acre dry. We've had very little sunshine and no heat, so the only way to get the moisture out was the bust it open and hope it helps. I was on a tractor 18 straight hours and worked open 550 acres . It a cost I wasn't planning on, but we're almost to the cut off for planting too, which is May 15th here. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do EVEN if you don't like it.

No-till Boss
04-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Ummm, for rice, it would DEFINITELY have to be flooded. Not sure if the pic is a planting area or a staging area though.

We plant on a dry seedbed and got to flood when the rice is about 10" tall. The flood is actually just for grass control .

BarryBobPosthole
04-28-2015, 09:33 PM
What do you use for deer control? The giy I knew in SE Ark used some sort of concentrated pepper spray that he said you had to use gloves to handle the cardboard boxes the jugs of it came in it was so potent. He said those deer ate that rice it was sprayed on like it was candy.

BKB

No-till Boss
04-29-2015, 06:10 AM
What do you use for deer control? The giy I knew in SE Ark used some sort of concentrated pepper spray that he said you had to use gloves to handle the cardboard boxes the jugs of it came in it was so potent. He said those deer ate that rice it was sprayed on like it was candy.

BKB

We really have no trouble with the deer in rice other than some nighttime bedding during the hot and buggy months. They do however eat our soybeans sometimes tho, IF they're bad enough, which is rare, and you can kill one where the other deer can see it die, they won't come back for awhile. I haven't had to do that in the last twenty years .

Captain
04-29-2015, 07:00 AM
I know some shit about farming but being from an area where "cotton is king" and never seen a rice plant or know the first thing about it I found your comment on using the water to flood rice fields mostly for weed control enlightening.
I would have never known that if it were not for that comment. That's cool... Out on the coast of NC we flood mature stands of corn and for some unknown reason that's where we have our bestious duck hunts. :D
But like Forest Gump that's all I know about that. (flooding fields)

Thumper
04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
We plant on a dry seedbed and got to flood when the rice is about 10" tall. The flood is actually just for grass control .

Learn sumpin' new every day. I had no clue. My only experience with rice farming is from beautiful S.E. Asia and they do it during the rainy season and the paddies are always flooded. I do have a friend in N. California (friend of a friend actually) and he floods his fields with huge pumps ... basically diverting the Sacramento River into his fields! He grows the extremely high quality (and EXPENSIVE) rice and I believe it all goes to Japan.

No-till Boss
04-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Learn sumpin' new every day. I had no clue. My only experience with rice farming is from beautiful S.E. Asia and they do it during the rainy season and the paddies are always flooded. I do have a friend in N. California (friend of a friend actually) and he floods his fields with huge pumps ... basically diverting the Sacramento River into his fields! He grows the extremely high quality (and EXPENSIVE) rice and I believe it all goes to Japan.
Yes, the rice they grow there is called Calrose, it's a extremely white rice.