PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Where'd He GO?!

Big Skyz
04-28-2015, 04:44 PM
So I go for a hike with my new mountain cur puppy nearly every afternoon. I roam a lot of country with him looking for shed antlers. However, pretty much everywhere around here is coyote country so I'm always on the look out for them, both in terms of scouting and making sure they don't get my pup. So yesterday we were working our way up a draw. I'm watching him bouncing along ahead of me when all of the sudden "boomp" (technical word)he's gone. I'm like; "Hey,where'd he go?" I mean he was only 50 feet or so in front of me. So I quicken my step and run up to where I last saw him. The little bugger is a couple feet down the entrance to a coyote den that I did not know was there. It's a fresh active den judging by all the fresh dirt and footprints around the mouth of the den. Fortunately he came right out when I called his name. The last thing I needed was him getting killed a couple feet underground by a PO'ed pair of adult coyotes. As it turned out I was really pleased he found the den. I marked it down for later reference, and I will lay odds right now that I end up killing one or both coyotes off that den. So it's all good. I didn't get a photo of him around the den. I didn't want to let fart around it too much. I sure did praise him for finding the den though. I was proud of him and I think he was pretty proud of hisownself. :) He's a typical pain in the butt puppy around the house, but out in the field/hills he's a ton of fun.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/Puppy%20Bear1_zpsgzum5z8b.jpg

Thumper
04-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Cool story! Of course, we now expect a future follow-up story ... with pics! :thumbsup

Bwana
04-28-2015, 05:39 PM
That is a fine looking pup you got yourself there Big Sky.

Nandy
05-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Im glad it turned out good for you and the puppy, I would had hate it so much to read otherwise... Now, get the jack rabbit call out and shoot them 'yotes!