PDA

View Full Version : Wood friggen peckers!

johnboy
04-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I've got a pair of flickers who are absolutely determined to drill a nest hole into the front of my cedar plank sided house, just under the eaves. I've had a running battle with the little bastards since yesterday and they started again at 6am this morning and managed to drill a pretty good sized hole that I just patched. Now the little bastards are back and working on another hole. Driving me crazy!

I live in town so shotguns are out which is too bad because that's what I'd like to use but I have to figure out some way to get rid of them for good. If I had my old .177 air rifle and less observant neighbours that might work but I can see the cops pulling into my driveway looking for a sniper.

I've got my wrist rocket slingshot sitting by the door and the last resort might be to ambush the little shits with my .22 air pistol if I can find a place to stay hidden.

Fake owls? Does that work?

BarryBobPosthole
04-30-2015, 05:47 PM
TTIWWOP

BKB

johnboy
04-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I may be a little dense right now but what?

Thumper
04-30-2015, 07:35 PM
Sheesh ... old farts!

TTIWWOP = This Thread Is Worthless Without Pictures

HideHunter
04-30-2015, 08:45 PM
Fake owl thing works for about a day.. Shoot 'em.

LW
04-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Go to the local airsoft gun store (the battery powered guns that shoot plastic pellets at a gazillion fps) and go to town on them. They wont hurt your siding but will break a window. I am in your same situation minus being in town and that is exactly what I do. I usually get several weeks of peace when I harass them.

Thumper
05-01-2015, 07:32 AM
This place is really slipping. With a post titled Wood friggen peckers, I can't believe you bozos haven't started with the "perpetual woody" jokes ... or the "wouldn't she be afraid of splinters?" questions/comments. I expected better and I'm ashamed of youse dufes for passing up such an opportunity. We need some new blood around this joint. ;)

johnboy
05-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Pics of what? Woody Woodpecker or the hole in the wall? Anyhoo, I bought an owl decoy and stuck it up on the front of the house and it worked - kinda. The little bastards moved to the side of the house! I can see my place looking like an owl rookery with plastic horned owls all over the place. If this wasn't such a friggen pain it would be hilarious! My neighbour called laughing his head off at me out there this morning running around the lawn waving my arms and shouting at a stupid bird.

Plus my delightfull little puppy ate my reading glasses! I hate all animals.

LJ3
05-01-2015, 01:42 PM
I got yer plastic owl, right here!

Captain
05-01-2015, 04:14 PM

BarryBobPosthole
05-01-2015, 04:38 PM
One of my most lasting memories of Yellowknife was all of the owl statuary on the buildings 'downtown' and those gigantic friggin ravens they have up there standing on them and crapping all over them.

BKB

Buckrub
05-01-2015, 07:48 PM
If it's an Ivory Bill woodpecker, you're rich.

DeputyDog
05-02-2015, 06:57 AM
A lot of people on the lake I grew up on would put the owl decoys out on the swim rafts and boat lifts to keep the gulls off of them. I didn't work long. Like Barry said, they would soon be sitting right next to each other and the decoys would be covered with crap.

Buckrub
05-02-2015, 08:58 AM
A lot of people on the lake I grew up on would put the owl decoys out on the swim rafts and boat lifts to keep the gulls off of them. I didn't work long. Like Barry said, they would soon be sitting right next to each other and the decoys would be covered with crap.

Which just goes to prove that when folks try to get together and get along that the mean ones will crap on the wise ones in time.