PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Querstchun

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2015, 08:49 PM
We used to discuss stuff.

I built my house in '98 so my roof is 17 years old this month. And, as roofs go (its a 30 year roof) its in good shape. Has a bit of mildew on the north side (that some idiot tried to tell me was hail damage) and a small leak around my fireplace that is on my honeydo list (flashing issue). The latest deal in my neighborhood is the roofing companies knocking on the door and saying they can get a new roof on my house and I won't even have to pay my deductible.

My insurance agent is an old friend of 20 plus years and i'd never do anything to jeopardize that. Bit I keep wondering if I try to sell my house, I'd imagine there'll be some discussion of the age of the roof. That, and some day I could get a call from my insurance guy saying I need to replace it for them to fully cover it.

So I'm in a quandary. Is it dishonest to claim 'hail damage' like these guys will for sure claim? I don't see how its not. But when I see all my neighbors getting new roofs it makes me wonder if I'm not screwing myself.

What say the GH panel of experts?

BKB

quercus alba
05-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Sometimes something is legal but not ethical. I don't know the ins and outs of the insurance business to comment on it. If your conscience is trying to tell you something then you might want to listen

Buckrub
05-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes it's dishonest to claim nonexistent damage for profit. It's also illegal.

My two cents.

I paid 8 grand for a roof about 10 years ago. Liked to have put me under. I think I had like 27 squares or rounds or bales or something. Lot of money. I did it because State Farm said they were going to cancel me if I didn't replace it. Wasn't damage, just normal wear and tear.

Life sucks sometimes.

No-till Boss
05-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Sometimes something is legal but not ethical. n

I like this answer !

BarryBobPosthole
05-07-2015, 09:26 PM
If your conscience is trying to tell you something then you might want to listen

Pretty much my policy too.

It kinda pisses me off to be honest. EVERY house around me with the exception of my closest next door neighbor has got a new roof from the 'hail storm' we had last October. It was pea sized max. Are adjusters that crooked?
BKB

Nandy
05-07-2015, 09:55 PM
I paid 8 grand for a roof about 10 years ago. Liked to have put me under. I think I had like 27 squares or rounds or bales or something. Lot of money. I did it because State Farm said they were going to cancel me if I didn't replace it. Wasn't damage, just normal wear and tear.

Reason why I would screw them over before they screw me....

Thumper
05-07-2015, 11:10 PM
I HATE insurance companies. They love takin' your money as long as you never try to take any of it back. Do it, and they simply show you've filed a claim against them and they'll use that against you to raise their rates to recover the money they "gave" to you! It's a vicious circle.

We had a hail storm here about 20 years ago. Everyone in my mom's neighborhood got a new roof. The insurance company came out, checked her roof and paid to have it replaced, but my step-dad (who died years ago) put it in the bank. Mom STILL has that same roof and has had no issues. That was the adjuster the insurance company hired! Me, I had just replaced my roof about 6 months before the storm. Had mine checked, zero damage. Just my luck. That was $7500 I could'a saved if I'd just waited a few months. :(

Problem is, that was 20 years ago and I'd installed a 15 year roof because at the time, I was thinking of selling. Guess what I'm looking forward to now? Question is ... I wonder how long I'll have to wait for a good hail storm? ;)

P.S. I've never known anybody with a fireplace who hasn't had leakage issues.