PDA

View Full Version : Ha! And I thought exploding dye packs were a modern invention.

Thumper
05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
One of the great bonuses from my new estate sale/ebay hobby is the education I get while researching stuff I've found. I purchased a piece of labratory equipment and have been researching it's history and trying to figure a price. It comes from a company formed in the 1800's and while reading the history, I read where the individual's nephew joined the company in 1873. (sorry for being vague, but I have to be careful about buyers Googling items I sell and stumbling on this place ... it sucks to be trying to sell something for $100 and get an email from some dufe saying he read on Good Hunting I paid 25-cents for the item!)

Anyway, while reading up on this individual, I just stumbled on the fact he patented a “Bandit Proof Bag.” Dang! The ol' exploding dye pack the bank teller slips in the sack when the bad guys pull a heist, is OLD technology. Who'da thunk it?

This is an interesting read if you're at all interested. If not, at least scan down to the section I highlighted in paragraph 3.

The partnership of Eimer and Amend grew out of the friendship between two Germans from Darmstadt, Germany who emigrated to the United States. Bernhard Amend was born in 1821 and studied chemistry. While serving as an assistant to the famous German professor, Baron Leibig, Amend met the American chemist Eben Norton Horsford who suggested that Amend work for him in the United States. Leibig and Horsford, leading personalities in 19th Century science, whose stories intersect this series from time to time, are likely to appear again in other columns, but for now, it is enough that Horsford propelled Amend to journey to the United States. Amend came in 1847, but the position with Horsford did not materialize, so he found employment as a chemist in the pharmacy of William Milner at the corner of 18th Street and 3rd Avenue in New York. When Milner retired in 1851, Amend purchased the business from him.

Carl Eimer was born in 1823, met Amend while he was at college and became a naturalized American citizen in 1860. Within a few years, he had renewed his acquaintanceship with Amend and joined his business. They quickly established themselves as the leading U. S. importer of European chemical and drugs. In 1873, Eimer’s nephew August joined the business and soon cemented his position in the firm by marrying Amend’s daughter, Mary. The enterprise kept expanding, and in 1874, Eimer and Amend also began to import laboratory equipment as well as adding their own glassblowing works. Carl Eimer retired in 1882 and died in 1888. Amend built a building for the burgeoning business in 1886 at the same location in New York City where the pharmacy had stood and in 1897 the partnership incorporated. Among Eimer & Amend’s notable customers were Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and E. R. Squibb. Amend, who retired in favor of his sons about 1900, lived on until 1911. He served as a Vice-President of the German Exchange Bank, was among the founders of the American Chemical Society, and was also a member of various social and charitable organizations including the American Museum of Natural History.

In the second generation, August Eimer emerged as a notable chemist and inventor. He remained with the company and eventually became its president from 1915 to 1926. August also was involved with the organization of the Willson Aluminum Works, which developed a ferro-chrome compound that was utilized in producing new, lighter and stronger armor plating for Teddy Roosevelt’s Great White Fleet. August Eimer also held the patent for a “Bandit Proof Bag.” When jarred, this bag released a chemical spray that blanketed the attacker and turned to smoke upon contact with air, making the bandit conspicuously easy to follow since he was, literally, smoking.

By 1917, Eimer & Amend had branch offices in Pittsburgh and Ottawa. It continued in business as a separate entity until it was purchased in 1940 by the Fisher Scientific Company. Fisher, whose products were used in the Manhattan Project, in turn, became a division of Allied Corporation between 1981 and 1991 before re-emerging as a separate company in 1998. Today Fisher Scientific operates independently, and mentions Eimer & Amend on its website as its “predecessor.”

No-till Boss
05-11-2015, 08:33 PM
You're definitely a interesting dude thump ! I enjoy your posts much !

Thumper
05-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Thanks much NTB. Doing the research on stuff I find is half the fun. Of course, the money made is the MOST fun, but learning new things rounds out the package. ;)

Nandy
05-11-2015, 09:27 PM
That ebay is out of control Jim. Im in the market for a upholstery/canvas sewing machine with a walking foot, hopefully a compound walking foot. I look at my local craigslist and the other markets around it daily and in ebay also in case something shows up that I can nab quick. So I see this Sailrite machine, I like those but they are quite a bit over what I want to pay. The machine, new, with all the accessories, cd's and warranty sells for $630. This person puts one for auction and when it is all said and done the machine sells for $580+... Really, whoohoo, you just bought an used machine, with no warranty, God knows in what condition the parts and timing are, not all the accessories and saved a whooping $50.00..., that is not even a 9% under retail price for an USED machine.... worst is, not the first time I see that happen.... Some of these people are just idiots. I have 2 machines I will put up for sales....screw that, Im getting in this bandwagon!

Thumper
05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Nandy, things sell for what the market will bear. It's like anything else, you can go into Joe's Hardware store and find a widget for $29.95, go to ACE Hardware and find that same widget for $24.95, go to Home Depot and find it for $21.50 ... then find it at Wally World for $19.95. If ol' Joe sells his widgets all day long for $29.95, who's fault is that?

I wish I'd known you were looking. I went to a sale a couple of weeks ago at the home of some biker dude (had Harley stuff EVERYWHERE) and he evidently ran an upholstery shop out of his garage. I remember 3-4 industrial type sewing machines and one newer one was even computerized! It looked like you could program it to do different things and let 'er rip. I don't know squat about that stuff and had no interest, so I really didn't pay much attention to it.

I did buy a Handy Junion Button Machine for $3.00 though. The lady thought it was a "can crusher"! :D

They sell for about $150.00 used.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ajwr6.k5xkw/v/vspfiles/photos/Machine_Jr_1-2.jpg?1364388006

Nandy
05-11-2015, 10:20 PM
Is the consumers fault... which is fine with me except when I am buying and some idiot inflates the price.... But what can I do? Free market.... Those real industrial machines weight a ton. I wouldnt turn one away but since what I am doing is just a hobby I dont see myself owning one unless is such that whoever is selling it does not know what the heck is selling. I will probably stick with the portables clones, unless I were to find one of those dirt cheap and then some....

Thumper
05-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Nandy, you could have picked those machines up for pennies! The gal was blowing stuff out of there like crazy and all she wanted to do was get rid of the stuff. She didn't know what any of it was, or what it was worth, and she didn't care. It was a private sale ... not a professional estate sale company and all she wanted to do was empty the place out so she could sell it. I don't know if she was a sister, wife or girlfriend ... but she was taking any offers anyone made on just about everything.

BarryBobPosthole
05-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Caveat emptor.

BKB