PDA

View Full Version : Wax

jb
05-19-2015, 09:11 AM
How many of you still take the time to do a good wax job on your vehicle?
Growing up in the early 60's I couldn't get enough coats of wax on my car, seemed I waxed it about once a month from spring till fall.
With todays finishes I don't know if it's that important anymore.
My new Ford Expedition was treated with Polysteel and two years and two winters the water still beads like a new wax job.
Just got the little car out of the barn and as usual I'll start out the summer with a good wash job followed by a cleaning with Mothers California Gold Clay Bar then a coat of a good Carnauba paste wax, then after every wash job I use Turtle Wax & Dry. Finish on that 11 years old car looks like new.
I'm old school, but there is still enjoyment with a good looking wax job.

BarryBobPosthole
05-19-2015, 09:23 AM
I don't know what the new paint jobs really require. I wash my truck once a week and just use the spray on wax at the car wash.

I prolly won't be buying a white truck again though. Every sumbitch in Oklahoma has a white club cab these days. And it collects bugs like they were going out of style.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
I have literally not waxed a car in the last 20 years. With today's finishes, I just don't think it's necessary. (My 2004 pickup still beads up when it rains.)

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 09:56 AM
Disappointed in this thread's discussion direction.

LJ3
05-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Me too bucky!

Thumper
05-19-2015, 10:18 AM
I used to be a fanatic, but always had my cars professionally done at the dealership from when I was a snotty-nosed h/s kid, to when I was the Service Manager of the dealership itself. I "grew up" in Cadillac dealerships and back in the day, the number one wax was Blue Coral ... but it was a bear to apply and needed to be done by a pro ... NOT a Saturday morning in the driveway affair. It was actually a two-step process (polish and wax) that really needed a skilled buffer operator. (try it by hand and your arms would fall off!). In fact, it was the only wax recommended by Cadillac and was sold as a General Motors accessory through the parts department. A Blue Coral detail job through the dealer was an EXPENSIVE proposition, but I had some pull with my detail guys. ;) I have no clue about their quality these days as I see Blue Coral products at drive-thru carwashes as well as Wally World ... so I imagine their marketing strategy as well as their product quality must have changed over the years.

That said, for the past 26 years (since leaving the car business) ... one of my best friends (the FIRST friend I met after moving here in '89) just happened to own a detail shop! The good part? He's an absolute perfectionist and when he finishes with a car, it looks better than new! I used to trade off details on my cars for pressure washing work on his house or business. He eventually got out of the detail business and became the Service Manager of the local BMW dealership in town. BUT .. his life-long buddy and head employee in his old detail business, took over the business and he now handles any of my detail work. It helps that he's also a great friend and (ex) drinking partner. I know the family, attend occassional family functions with him and have been to his kid's weddings, etc.

If it were up to ME to wax a car ... it would never ... EVER get done. That is one job I absolutely despise and refuse to do. I'd rather go to the dentist and have my teeth drilled. So, I've been lucky as I've ALWAYS had a "connection" to handle my detail jobs.

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 10:22 AM
$200.00.
Every five years.
"Touch of Perfection" Car Detail Shop.

The End.

No-till Boss
05-19-2015, 10:54 AM
. Every sumbitch in Oklahoma has a white club cab these days. And it collects bugs like they were going out of style.

BKB
Same here in Arkansas, I think I'm gonna buy a black one .

Thumper
05-19-2015, 11:13 AM
NTB ... TRUST ME ... that will be the biggest mistake of your life! (unless you're joking) To keep a black car looking nice, you may as well hire a full-time detail guy to live in your garage. Been there, done that ... never again. That said, there is nothing on earth that looks better than a black car polished to perfection.

DeputyDog
05-19-2015, 12:29 PM
"I'm old school, but there is still enjoyment with a good looking wax job."

I can't believe that no one here asked if you were still talking about cars or had changed the topic to female body parts. ;)

Thumper
05-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Ha ha! I have to admit ... the first time I spotted the title to this post ... the first word that came to mind was "Brazilian"! :D

Bwana
05-19-2015, 02:36 PM
Here you are Jim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKRKo113xwA