PDA

View Full Version : Sad news

Captain
05-19-2015, 10:31 AM
This morning at 3:00 AM we lost Niner. He's hunting and fishing with the Lord now. Di called me this morning. With her permission I'm passing it along. She is as sweet a woman as there has ever been. I wished her peace from us all. The Lord has a new "fisherman" I just hope he scouts out some really good spots for us all when we join him again.

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 10:36 AM
Oh my.

Praying for peace for Di.........

Bill was one of the biggest inspirations to me that have ever existed. He is just about everything I am not. I think a toenail pain is a big thing, and he braved true pain with dignity and humor and he respected me, and us, and everyone. There have been very few like him that I've known.

I........just wow.

Loved ya, Bill. RIP!

Tony, and Bob, and Terry, and Bill are hopefully catching some big 'uns and laughing at all of us. That's my prayer too!

Thumper
05-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Dang. Tough news, but not unexpected. I was lucky enough to talk with him last week but he was going downhill fast. I've sat across the table from him many times and the last time was a real effort for him, but he had one of his favorite forms of junk food ... a big ol' sloppy Varsity Dog! He and Di gave me a little momento at that time and I've had it hanging right next to my desk ever since. It'll always be a reminder of a great guy that I was lucky enough to know personally and have shared some good times with.

Di is an outstanding lady and I feel for her immensely. RIP Mr. Niner. :(

Arty
05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Just damn.

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Various%20Pics/LakeConine_zpsbpph8fqe.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Various%20Pics/LakeConine_zpsbpph8fqe.jpg.html)

Arty
05-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Needs to be the banner of the site.... If anyone knows how to change it. That was bills area of expertise

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Yes, it does. Two guys, among a bunch of others, that I respect deeply, and that picture somehow, some sort of way, captures a WHOLE lot of what this site means.........at least to me. There's a LOT in that picture.

Thumper
05-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Yep, Archer is history and Foo is MIA ... I'm sure Len can handle it.

Lenster?

Captain
05-19-2015, 10:55 AM
I woke up at 3 this morning and could not go back to sleep for some reason. I remember it being 3 because I had to move something on the night stand to see the clock.
I'll post arrangements as soon as I know.

Thumper
05-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Odd Cappy. I fell asleep early last night and was awakend by an email coming in on my phone. I usually have it on the charger at night, but fell asleep with it right next to my pillow. After sleeping and being awakened, I couldn't get back to sleep. I just checked the time stamp on that message ... it came in at 2:52 AM. What was the message? ... I'd just sold a FISHING REEL on eBay. Kinda weird in a long-shot sorta way, but messages come in odd packages sometimes.

Big Skyz
05-19-2015, 11:07 AM
I am just grateful I got to know him in person. If I someday turn out at least half as good as him, I will be better than most men. Man, I'm going to miss that white bearded smile.

Chicken Dinner
05-19-2015, 11:15 AM
He'll live on in many of our memories. My favorite was him having a couple of sips of untaxed liquor and magically finding the strength to climb up in a tower stand the next day. I'll miss you my friend.

Bwana
05-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Though we never met in person, he will be missed as a friend. Rest in peace.

Sunshine
05-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Rest in Peace my friend.
God took home a good man, last night, and he now joins several of our other friends.

May they watch over us, from the heavens above, and guide us until we meet again.

Lots of prayers for Di and her family.

A Fisherman's Prayer

GOD grant that I may fish
Until my dying day
And when it comes to my last cast
I then most humbly pray
When in the Lords safe landing net
I'm peacefully asleep
That in his mercy I be judged
As good enough to keep

Author unknown

Thumper
05-19-2015, 11:32 AM
One night Lynn and I were in Atlanta and met up with Bill and Di at a local steakhouse. I had recently had another surgery and was in pretty sad shape and couldn't sit very well (my back didn't bend). Bill had recently returned from treatments in Houston and was in his wheelchair. We were a sorry pair and had a heck of a time finding a table we could both maneuver ourselves into. Finally the waitresses had us wait at the front of the restaurant and they arranged a table off away from the main stream of traffic so that we had all the room we needed to get settled in. We joked a bit about what sorry old farts we were and it was really good to see him actually laughing a few times during that meal. I had taken a gun vice up to him that I had and he wanted, so we got it loaded in the back of his Tundra before Di drove him back home. Our next (and final) get-together was at the Varsity and I couldn't tell you how much he enjoyed that Varsity Dog! I'll miss him.

Thumper
05-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Tony, and Bob, and Terry, and Bill are hopefully catching some big 'uns and laughing at all of us. That's my prayer too!

There's another Bill on that list ... ummm ... Bill.

You're forgetting Bill "Mauserman" Rummel.

We really need to build a memorial page here.

quercus alba
05-19-2015, 12:10 PM
<i>"I don't like that man. I must get to know him better". Abraham Lincoln.</i>

I don't mean to imply that I didn't like Bill Conine but rather that I wish i had known him better. There are a lot of super people in this mean old world if we just give our self the chance to get to know them. Including some of you guys.

We definitely need a memorial page as well as a contact page for when some of us go MIA

LJ3
05-19-2015, 12:19 PM
Man... Godspeed Bill. A soul like that leaves a big hole on earth.

I'll see what I can do for the site banner. Niner was WAY more adept at all that stuff than I am. Arty can you send me the original image file of that shot?

DeputyDog
05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
That is sad news. My prayers go out to Di and their family.

BarryBobPosthole
05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
There might be the right words, but right now I can't seem to find them. Just damn. I wish I'd gotten the chance to meet him and get to know know him better.
BKB

Arty
05-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Man... Godspeed Bill. A soul like that leaves a big hole on earth. I'll see what I can do for the site banner. Niner was WAY more adept at all that stuff than I am. Arty can you send me the original image file of that shot? inbox me your email addy I'll send it to you

jb
05-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear this, from all good things posted we lost another fine member.

Nandy
05-19-2015, 04:04 PM
My condolences and prayers to Di and all his loved ones... It is hard to find the words to go with the thread. Maybe a little bit of a story will go better. When I killed my first 1 deer ever (shot two, but I though it was only one) I had problem locating one. I called Larke and he and Bill were there in the field, with nice shoes, in the mud helping me trying to locate deer #2. My first deer picture was with Bill next to me. It was 2002... That picture now becomes even more special, I need to dig it out of my backup hard drive....

Bill, I will spill some rum for you next time I sip some....

Captain
05-19-2015, 04:45 PM
Yep Nandy, I remember it well. Niner was here hunting with me in SC and we were out for Supper. I remember tracking that deer in my "good" shoes in that field full of mud.
Hard to believe that has almost 13 years.
I think Niner hunted with me every year from that time till this past October.
There may have been one year in there he missed. Good man and he will be missed.

Big Skyz
05-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Friends helping friends live a dream together. I have to say it's one of the best feelings in the whole world.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/Huntzz/bill38_zpssjpzghjq.jpg

No-till Boss
05-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Great picture Big Sky ........

Trav
05-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Ok, my first post was out of line but it seems we have lost so many loved ones lately and it sucks. I will keep this about Bill, I never got to meet him but he was a role model. The class and dignity he handled this whole thing was an inspiration and if I could handle it half as well as he did I would be proud. My heart goes out to his family R.I.P. Bill.

Captain
05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Niner and I are the same age. I "think" I'm 4 months older that he was. Maybe the other way around but I remember we were the same years....
I sure am sad he is gone and at the same time relived he is not suffering any longer. When he was here at the SC farm last October with me, Arty, CD and the boys you could tell he was in pain but still hopeful. When Arty and I went down to spend the weekend with him and Di and see his farm you could tell a big difference. I think if Arty and I had waited another week or so he would not have gotten to see his farm and fish lake Conine that last time.
The last time he and Di went to Huston he was only suppose to be gone 3 or 4 days. He would never say anything at the site about they were going. But he would always call or text me before he left. I noticed many more days went by and he was not checking in or texting me. I smelled a rat then. I was at the farm and returning from Chesterfield where I had ate supper. My phone rang and it was Di. She said Bill wanted to talk to me. He got on the line and said I need to tell you something. I stopped him and said I had already "felt" what he need to say and the words were not needed. He broke down. After total quiet for a few minutes he said thanks for being my friend. I told him we would talk more when he could and I'd try to get down to see him. That was one short but very difficult conversation.
I will try to email or text Di and find out arrangements. I've not bothered her today as I'm sure she has more on her than she can deal with right now, and hopefully she can rest some.

Thumper
05-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Yep, I texted Di the other night to see if Bill was able to talk, but didn't hear back from her until 2:00 am. Bill was heavily sedated and she said if he did try to talk, it would be unintelligible. She said she'd have him call the next morning after he'd had some rest. It was late the next day when Di called and put him on the phone. He sounded great (well, as good as could be expected). We talked on a serious and personal basis ... mostly about a friendship that started the first time I rolled up in his driveway ... heck, I'm not sure ... 15-16 years ago? It was a wonderful conversation with a great friend, but he went downhill VERY rapidly. Once I realized his voice was becoming extremely labored (and slurred), I ended the conversation with him, spoke with Di for a few minutes, and that was the last I talked to him. This just so sucks. We're losing too many people from this place. :(

Buckrub
05-19-2015, 10:08 PM
Niner and I are the same age. I "think" I'm 4 months older that he was. Maybe the other way around but I remember we were the same years....
I sure am sad he is gone and at the same time relived he is not suffering any longer. When he was here at the SC farm last October with me, Arty, CD and the boys you could tell he was in pain but still hopeful. When Arty and I went down to spend the weekend with him and Di and see his farm you could tell a big difference. I think if Arty and I had waited another week or so he would not have gotten to see his farm and fish lake Conine that last time.
The last time he and Di went to Huston he was only suppose to be gone 3 or 4 days. He would never say anything at the site about they were going. But he would always call or text me before he left. I noticed many more days went by and he was not checking in or texting me. I smelled a rat then. I was at the farm and returning from Chesterfield where I had ate supper. My phone rang and it was Di. She said Bill wanted to talk to me. He got on the line and said I need to tell you something. I stopped him and said I had already "felt" what he need to say and the words were not needed. He broke down. After total quiet for a few minutes he said thanks for being my friend. I told him we would talk more when he could and I'd try to get down to see him. That was one short but very difficult conversation.
I will try to email or text Di and find out arrangements. I've not bothered her today as I'm sure she has more on her than she can deal with right now, and hopefully she can rest some.

Wow.

Swing low, sweet chariot.....

LJ3
05-20-2015, 11:08 AM
Been weighing on me pretty heavily. Still no dang words for it, though. It's not about me though.

I wish I were at a place in my life where I could drop what I'm doing and just go help Di.

Fido
05-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Just got back from my annual trip up north for the retiree party. This is devastating news. Gone but never forgotton, you left a void that can't ever be filled Bill!

Gunther
05-23-2015, 01:32 PM
The process sucks for damn near everybody but I believe, really I do, that for those who accept Christ the afterwards is way better than anything on this earth. I've come to think there are a lot of things worse than dying and my hope for my friends, family and self is to die healthy. If that can't happen I wish for them, and me especially since I'm a selfish coward, is strength of character and a loving family to ease the journey. It sucks for those left behind to carry on though. Requiescat in Pace Sir William of Conine.

johnboy
05-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Just got back from a week in the rv. Sad news. I never met him or knew him but strangely enough I still feel a loss.