PDA

View Full Version : Dang! Question for youse guitar freaks ...

Thumper
05-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Here's an item that's at one of the estate sales coming up this weekend. Of course I have no clue how it will be priced, but there's always the SLIM chance they won't know what it's worth. I know SQUAT about guitars, but I see one persactly like this just sold on The Bay last week for $2200.00! Here are a coupl'a pics of the one at an estate sale this weekend and it's description. What should I look for? Does the case itself make a difference? (one maker over another?). Or do the guitar makers also make the cases? Does it matter? Or is it ALL about the guitar? (like I said, I'm clueless) BUT ... ya' never know with these things .. I could get there and it'll be listed at $25.00 .... OR it could be listed at $2500.00! Who knows?

The description reads: Martin Guitar 1973 D35 with case

4796 4797

Big Skyz
05-20-2015, 10:13 AM
I can about guarantee you won't get it for $25.00.

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 10:18 AM
I don't understand what's going on with that pick guard. Has it been broken? A D35 in good shape from that era is prolly $2k-3k depending on the shape its it. If you can, get the serial number off of it and check it here to verify when it was made. http://www.martinguitar.com/about-martin/the-martin-story/serial-numbers.html The type of rosewood is often a big consideration in price. If its brazilian rosewood it'll make it more expensive.
But get details on that pick guard and find out what it'd cost to replace it with a genuine Martin one. Then you can decise f you want to sell as is or fix it and sell it. You can get an idea of worth by looking at sites like elderly instruments
Another tip. A guitar, if left out on a stand like mine has been, will over time darken and get more 'orange' look. That one appears to have been kept in the case for most of its like.
But that pick guard makes me nervous unless its something I'm just not seeing in that really awesome picture you posted.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 10:19 AM
Let me know what its listed for. I might be interested!

BKB

Thumper
05-20-2015, 10:25 AM
Dang, I didn't even notice that. Yeah, it does look like it's broken, huh? What you see here is all I know so far. They post pics but don't post an address until the day before the sale to prevent 10,000 early-bird looky-loos from showing up on their doorstep 5 days before the sale. I don't know the people running this sale so I can't get any inside info. I will say, from the looks of the other stuff pictured, these people weren't hurting for money. The way I understand it, the family in New York has cleaned out everything they wanted and the stuff for sale this weekend is all the left-overs. That "could" be a good thing pricewise. Problem is, I "might" be at Conine's funeral and miss this sale.

Thumper
05-20-2015, 10:33 AM
I can about guarantee you won't get it for $25.00.

Ha! Prolly true B/S. But that's what makes these sales so much fun ... you never have a clue what to expect until you walk in the door. I've seen stranger things. I know most all of the estate sale companies and know how they price. Some practically GIVE the stuff away as their main goal is to empty the house. Others are reasonable, but if you're a re-seller like me, you have to pay close attention to make sure there's still room for a profit ... others sell for close to (but still under) "used" retail which is usually still a good deal as long as you're keeping the item for your own use. It's a game. I don't know these people and have no clue how they price. Also, most of these sales mark everything down to half price on the final day to blow out the left-overs.

LJ3
05-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Damn... I wish I had some disposable cash! Been on my wish list for about 35 years. The pick guard is concerning as to "how" it got that way but it doesn't appear to be from some impact damage.

Thumper
05-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it kinda looks like something slipped under the edge and snapped it off, huh? I have no clue. Those are the only pics available. :(

LJ3
05-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Those guitars are built like a battleship so I think it would show obvious damage to the top if it were serious damage. If you get it for $35, I'll give you $400 for it. Cap'n'll send the funds on my behalf.

Thumper
05-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Ha! I've known Cappy for MANY years ... his money ain't no good!

Knowin' him, he prolly slipped all the counterfeit bills out'ta the evidence locker when he left the department! ;)

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I've never had one do it, but I guess from what I read about them, the old celluloid pick guards shrink and sometimes crack the wood underneath. This one moght have started curling and someone removed what they coupd of it to prevent any damage to the wood top. Easy repair but it depends on the damage that's there. I'll make my bid $400.01.

BKB

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I have a comparable Gibson model...........hard for me to get my alligator arms around it to play it, it's such a big hollow body.

That pick guard is broken. I'd make sure the wood is not cracked INSIDE!! Take a flashlight.

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 04:25 PM
I figured you for a Gibson guy. I've always wanted a Hummingbird. Actually, just send me Emmy Lou and her Hummingbird and I'd be happiest.

BKB

Nandy
05-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Make sure it is a real martin guitar. I had a bad experience with that. Father in law took one for payment for a debt many, many, many moons ago. A couple of years back he was on vacation at my place and was low in cash (he is retired) so he asked me to help him sell one of his guitars, we listed the Martin and a Seagul, We got so many hits in the martin and it sold in hours. This was craigslist so the person came, saw it, tried it and payed for it. Then a couple of days the guy contacted me that the guitar was counterfeit and listed what was wrong with it together with a letter from some expert at the Martin company. I have no idea what end up to it, I pretty much told him he came in person, saw the guitar, played it, liked it and bought it, buyers beware.
I think my father in law ended up giving him some money back.... Research it.

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Thats one reason I told him to look up the serial number.

BKB