PDA

View Full Version : Not a biggie!!! But if you have time and are bored........

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I have a stupid question. I know it's stupid, because it seems impossible that I can't figure something simple out.

Yes, that's a common post for me. Deal with it.

I want to buy a Battery Tender for the new SxS. I like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-G750-UltraSafe-Battery-Charger/dp/B004LX3AS6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432157294&sr=8-3&keywords=noco+genius
better than the normal Battery Tender Jr.

Not a problem. However..........I want to permanently mount/install the spade lug ended 'cable' to the battery post and put the other end, where the unit plugs into that cable, 'somewhere' easy to get to. This thing has a hood, like a car...and the battery is way under everything. So, I MIGHT need one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-GC004-Extension-Cable/dp/B004LWV0GQ/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_y

OK, that will work, no problems. I'll just dangle the loose end somewhere between the hood and body, I see a place to stick it. Should work. The extension is needed because the space between where it will stick out of the body and the battery is longer than the cord that comes with the unit.

THEN-------------- I see this thing:
http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-GCP1-Black-125V/dp/B009ANV81S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432157589&sr=8-7&keywords=noco+genius

It's made by the same company (they have all kinds of sizes of battery chargers, etc)........so I thought if I could install this in the dash (a 2" hole would have to be cut), it would sure be neater to plug in instead of dangling that little cord out of the hood somewhere. BUT.............that's where I'm lost. This is a MALE plug. The unit is a MALE plug!! No way to plug 'em together. So.......I thought I'd go to Lowe's and look for a female to female SHORT extension cord, and that'd fix it for the times I needed to plug in the charger. The don't make 'em!! Nowhere online either. Now, I can make one easy enough, with two female plugs (Lowe's was out, believe it or not!), but geez......you'd think that would be an item easy to find.

SO........am I looking at this wrong? If not, why can't I find a F-F adapter?

Thank you for your continued patience and assistance with one who is so needy!

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Uh.

What?

BKB

Bwana
05-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Ask the folks if the rainbow coalition or whatever, they might know.

No-till Boss
05-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Y'all don't have a radio shack in Conway ?

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 06:11 PM
not any more

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Did I miss the IQ purge that apparently happened around here?

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 06:16 PM
What do they do with the factory installed ones? I'd do that.
BKB

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 06:18 PM
uh

what?

BarryBobPosthole
05-20-2015, 06:33 PM
You want an on board battery charger/tender right? When you order one from the factory with that option, how do they wire it in and mpunt it? That's what I'd do.

BKB

Thumper
05-20-2015, 06:36 PM
Do you have a West Marine in town? I'd hang out in their electrical outlet isle for a while. You're bound to find something in the "dock charging receptacle" isles that you could adapt. You may have to go to Little Rock.

With the low wattage of a trickle charger, it seems you could simply use cigarrette lighter plug/receptacle arrangement. Just add whatever connectors you want for the battery and charger connections.

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 06:36 PM
No, it's not onboard. It's one you plug in and then connect via spade lugs OR clips to the battery. I simply want to leave the spade lug ends permanently installed. I did that on the four wheeler. Then I just plug in the charger (which I keep in storage on the wheely) into 110 and plug other end into the dangling end of the spade lugs.

None of that is an issue. I can do all that.

It's the extra thing, which I wish I'd never have seen, that allows you to permanently mount a 3-prong plug receptacle on the dash. THAT is what I can't figure out.

But I'm ready to abandon that, at least for now.........so, never mind. The grief:benefit ratio is way too high.

Buckrub
05-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Do you have a West Marine in town? I'd hang out in their electrical outlet isle for a while. You're bound to find something in the "dock charging receptacle" isles that you could adapt. You may have to go to Little Rock.

With the low wattage of a trickle charger, it seems you could simply use cigarrette lighter plug/receptacle arrangement. Just add whatever connectors you want for the battery and charger connections.

hahaha.

no. We have 2 McDonald's.

Thumper
05-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Then go to your buddy with the trailer place. Use those plug-in trailer wire connectors. They have all sorts of various connector assortments. The ones you normally mount to your hitch or under your bumper, could be mounted on the dash. They even have little flip down cover thingies to make it pretty when not in use. Hook the female trailer plug to the charger and the male end on your dash to the battery. He'd have all the connectors to make it a neat installation.

Captain
05-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Just go to Walmart and buy a trolling motor plug that mounts to the boat (female connector) it already has the little wings for mounting screws. Wire that plug to the battery and mount the sexy little plug anywhere your heart desires. Then Buy a male trolling motor plug and wire that to your charger/tender....
Done it a thousand times

Nandy
05-20-2015, 07:50 PM
^^^ What he said ^^^^
I was going to chime in with my electrical/electronic background once I got back to the office from supper but that is a good answer.
however, the last link you sent, that adapter is pretty much a drop cord (that is how you should look at it) that attaches permanently to your dash, the other end got to the charger 120vac connector. That will mean that the charger should be water proof or at least water resistant which seems that charger you want is.
What you want to do is what I have in my boat, my charger is on board, I plug a regular 14/3 drop cord to the house and the other end plugs to the adapter in the boat.

Captain
05-21-2015, 07:23 AM