PDA

View Full Version : Niners arrangements and a self serving post (on my part)

Captain
05-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Di has sent this information to me this morning...
Bill's memorial service is scheduled for Wednesday, 5/27 at 6:30 pm in the chapel at McKoon Funeral Home (38 Jackson Street, Newnan, GA 30263).
She also asked if any member has any pictures of Bill she is putting together a spread for the service. She has asked to email them to me and I will forward them to her.
I think after the service she may send me a copy of what she uses and perhaps we can use some of them here I"m going to email her this one.
It was Bil's first SC farm buck back in 2006 and I think his biggest buck until this past season when he took the two monsters in his back yard.

Now for the self serving part of this thread.
I’m feeling about as low as I can get about not being able to be at Bill’s service. He was a wonderful friend with a big heart!
My situation is, I have a life long friend that is in about the same situation that Bill was in several months ago. Just about 8 weeks ago he had cancer surgery and lost his Bladder, Prostate and part of one kidney. He has ALWAYS wanted to go Trophy fishing for Tarpon in the Keys. When I visited him in the hospital many weeks ago I promised him I would arrange a Trip to the Keys and we would Tarpon fish.
I have another friend that owns a condo in Islamorada and has two nice Hell’s Bay boats there. The only time I could get the condo was from the 26th to the 30th. So I booked a guide for Wednesday through Saturday.
To further complicate things I wanted Cheryl to make the trip with us. She has never been to the Keys and it is a very special place that I would like to share with her. However this was at the end of the month and that is “months end” for them at her work and supposedly no one can have time off in her department during that time. Her Boss is a good friend of mine and I went behind Cheryl’s back with out her knowing (even before she knew i was planning the trip) and talked to her boss and he agreed to make an exception for her and even brought in temp help to cover those days so Cheryl could go. Then we surprised her with the trip. She is really looking forward to the trip. My loyalty to my family AND friends is very important to me. I've spent weeks making sure every detail at the SC farm was handled, Fences all repaired, hay cut, baled and in the barn, Calfs weened and sent to the sale, etc. so there would be no detail or work my farther would try to attempt while I was gone those few day...
Everyone is Flying down on Wednesday except for Cheryl and I we are driving as we wanted to check on our St. Augustine house on the way down and Cheryl wanted to have her car so while we were out fishing she could scoot around to the beaches and shops etc.
Di had asked for me to speak at the service and was willing to move it to Tuesday for me to attend. I had hoped Arty would say he could come to the service on Tuesday (if that was the day) and I could get him to come here pick me up and we attend the service and then Arty and I could come back to my NC house and spend the night. Cheryl and I would leave in the next morning for Islamorada and Jamie could leave to head back to Va. However I talked to Arty yesterday and he cannot make that time either. I’m afraid there just are not enough hours for me to run down to Atlanta and back around Midnight here and then to Islamorada the next day.
If I cancel the fishing trip I've let a friend down that perhaps will have not other opportunity to ever go again...
I feel like in this situation I will be letting down friends either way I go…. and its tearing my guts out.
Not even sure how I will feel on the fishing trip now...

BarryBobPosthole
05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Larke, I'm pretty sure I know what Niner would say, and you do too. So stop beating yourself up about it.

Thanks for the info. You're a good friend, chief!

BKB

Thumper
05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Things went to crap here also. Lynn is out of vacation time at work, but the General Manager told her he'd give her the time off to go. She called a contact in Atlanta and had about a 98% chance of getting 1 or 2 comped rooms ... we were just waiting on a date and needed a little time to plan because it's a 1000 mile round trip for us (we'd be driving). Yesterday, there was a major shake-up at the hotel. The new consortium that bought them out a few months back, sent in a GM from another hotel of theirs ... basically to clean house. She fired the General Manager (the one who promised Lynn the time off) as well as the Assistant Manager. Heads are rolling! I've texted Lynn a couple times today but have had no reply (very rare), so I don't have a clue what kind of excitement is going on there today. Needless to say, it's not a good time to hit the (new? temporary?) boss up for time off. I understand yesterday she (the GM) went through all the time cards to see who clocked in after the 8:00 am start time. There may be more heads rolling today.

Anyway, we've also had plans to be in Daytona all next weekend and were going to meet up with Larke and Cheryl on their bonsai run back from the Keys (rushing to make sure Cheryl gets back in time for work on Monday).

Needless to say, the delay of the service from (expected) this week, to next week put us in a bind. Now is NOT a good time for Lynn to be asking for time off with no vacation time left. This sucks, but we're not near in the tug of war Cappy is in. Sometimes things just don't work out.

There will be a nice flower arrangement, from everyone here, sent to the funeral home in time for the service. I will get that handled. One thing that sucks, I've been to Bill and Di's house and I've met up with them probably 6-7 times over the years ... but I can't think of one time I ever took pictures. I've always been bad about that. :(

HideHunter
05-21-2015, 11:43 AM
What Barry said.. You take those folks tarpon fishing.. and you have fun.

Arty
05-21-2015, 01:48 PM
What Barry said.. You take those folks tarpon fishing.. and you have fun.

^ that's what niner would say

Sunshine
05-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Capt and Thump!!

Niner would understand completely the situation you both are in.

He would say: BIGSKYZ gave him a trip of his life and they made wonderful memories.
He would never want you to take a trip, of a lifetime, away from someone else.
He'd be hurt if you did.

I know he'd rather you give your friend the best trip ever, and you might be surprised he will be there with you Capt.

Please don't eat yourself up about this decision.

Niner was a kind caring man and he'd never want you to take such a trip from someone else.

You can head up there and pay your respects when things calm down.

Capt, Niner knows what you are going through and he'd tell you to give that friend a trip he will NEVER forget. :)

Thumper
05-21-2015, 02:24 PM
I agree with all'o youse. I think a good part of what's tearing Cappy up, is letting Di down. She's had a LOT on her plate lately and Bill doesn't really have a whole lot of family to be there. It's sad, but what're ya' gonna do? You can't let it get to you and life goes on.

Buckrub
05-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Niner'd beat your ass if you didn't go help another friend. That's what he was about, and sir, that's what you're about. You've sure helped me. And him. And now another guy. SO........wear the hat you wore with Niner and go fishing.

I have a doctor issue I cannot avoid. I have worried over this for some time. I would give a finger to go to Bill's service. I just can't go then. The next week, yes.

Will someone text me Di's mailing address, please?????

Chicken Dinner
05-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Pics sent. I know how bad you want to be there for Di. But, Bill would want you to go Tarpon fishing and check it off your buddy's bucket list.

Nandy
05-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Larke, I am sure Di would understand and would not want to get in the way of you giving to someone else as you did to Bill. I think buckaroo idea of a second memorial service on a date that y'all can go will be a heck of better option.

Bwana
05-22-2015, 04:13 PM
I too would like Di's mailing address if someone has it.

Captain
05-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Sent in text

Thumper
05-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I emailed it to you John

Bwana
05-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Larke, I have to agree with what Posthole said and I think you know it too.