PDA

View Full Version : Power gone soon

Buckrub
05-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Here she comes. First big one of the year.......way late this year.

Power gone soon. Bye, guys!

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx

Chicken Dinner
05-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Stay safe.

Thumper
05-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Dang! My sisters and BIL in Houston are shopping for an ark right now. That Tejas/Okieland area has been getting HAMMERED! Looks like you need to hang onto your hat. Good luck.

Buckrub
05-26-2015, 08:43 AM
Just rain. Didn't have problems.

But the Ark River here at Toad Suck Dam is rising and will be above flood stage soon. The COE camping park is closed and under water already. Some homes on banks (these are HIGH banks) will have water in them soon. This rivals 1990 flood. Every time we have one of these, they say "this is a 500 year flood". I think we're now working on the year 3204.

Bwana
05-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Hope the flood doesn't turn out as bad as predicted as those floodwater can really cause devastation.

As for the "500-year flood," I truly wish people would quit using that term. What it really should be called is the 0.2% chance flood just like the "100 year flood" is a 1% chance event. Doesn't mean just because you lived through one that there won't be another in two days. Hell back in July of 1993 we had a "100 year" rainfall every Thursday of the month except for one and that one was a "200 year" rain. In other words, it is a mathematical probability based on past hydrologic records and in the grand scheme of things the historic record we have for meteorological events in pretty darn small.

Buckrub
05-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Good points!

Thumper
05-26-2015, 09:43 AM
I think the only thing written in concrete is that the insurance companies use that determination to decide whether flood insurance is a requirement when they insure your house.

Here, if your address falls within a 100-year flood plain, you're required to carry flood insurance to finance a house.

Bwana
05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
You are correct Thumper. Any home purchase financed with a federally-backed loan has the mandatory purchase requirement if it is located within the limits of the 1%-chance floodplain.

No-till Boss
05-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Just rain. Didn't have problems.

But the Ark River here at Toad Suck Dam is rising and will be above flood stage soon. The COE camping park is closed and under water already. Some homes on banks (these are HIGH banks) will have water in them soon. This rivals 1990 flood. Every time we have one of these, they say "this is a 500 year flood". I think we're now working on the year 3204.

You do know you have the same chance EVERY year for a 500 year flood don't you. Just because it's called a 500 year flood doesn't mean it happens ONCE ever 500 years.

No-till Boss
05-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Hope the flood doesn't turn out as bad as predicted as those floodwater can really cause devastation.

As for the "500-year flood," I truly wish people would quit using that term. What it really should be called is the 0.2% chance flood just like the "100 year flood" is a 1% chance event. Doesn't mean just because you lived through one that there won't be another in two days. Hell back in July of 1993 we had a "100 year" rainfall every Thursday of the month except for one and that one was a "200 year" rain. In other words, it is a mathematical probability based on past hydrologic records and in the grand scheme of things the historic record we have for meteorological events in pretty darn small.

Sorry I should have read you post before replying . You're correct sir !

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Lots of bad flooding in Oklahoma. Lots of trees down and roofs damaged from the storms yesterday in my hometown in SE Oklahoma. We've had abput 8.5 inches of rain im the past 14 days here, and in SE Oklahome tyey' e had abput 14 in the same period. All of that, plus the water that fell on Arkansas yesterday goes in the Arkansas River. Enjoy.

This is gonna be a banner year for skeeters!

BKB

No-till Boss
05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
In 2009 on my south farm, I got 69" of rain between April the 27th and November the 1st. Shit happens ....

Captain
05-26-2015, 06:25 PM
We are dry as a popcorn fart in these parts. It's been over 31 days since we've had any rainfall. The record is 40days. I pray we don't match or exceed that. I planted Hammerheads dove field a week and a half ago and it appears I'm coming to have to replant?
It is perfect hay weather but way too hot and dry. We need water BAD...
If it keeps this up I'm going to have to start feeding hay instead of stockpiling for winter....

Buckrub
05-26-2015, 06:27 PM
So is the West. This is ONE big country!!!

The Flood Warning continues for
The Arkansas River At Toad Suck Lock And Dam Tailwater.
* from this afternoon until further notice...Or until the warning is
cancelled.
* At 9:00 AM Tuesday the stage was 273.3 feet.
* Moderate flooding is forecast.
* Flood stage is 275.0 feet.
* Forecast...Rise above flood stage by late this afternoon and
continue to rise to near 278.4 feet by Thursday early afternoon.
* Impacts at 278.0 feet...Lollie Community affected. Additional farmlands
in Faulkner County flooded by backwater up Palarm Creek and Tupelo Bayou

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Our weather forecast for the next couple of weeks is another 3-4 inches of rain. They're dumping water out of the dams in the system here upstream from you as fast as they can. So hitch your wadders up another notch.

BKB