PDA

View Full Version : Reel Question

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Anybody have a Shimano Saros? How does it compare to a Stradic?

I'm about to get me a new outfit. Been a while! Sheeeeeeit (like Eddie says) its lile buyong a deer rifle these days.

BKB

Captain
05-26-2015, 09:06 PM
Barry a lot of the folks at our local Bass Pro shop have not had good things to say about the reel. It is an expensive reel and I am the biggest Shinamo fan but you may want to read up on the reviews.

http://m.basspro.com/Shimano-Saros-FA-Series-Spinning-Reel/product/12052509153746/?mw_product_review=true

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2015, 09:16 PM
I have two Symetre reels and matching rods I've fished hard with for four years. I was gonna put out the bucks for a Stradic but saw this in the catalogue online and thought I'd chrck it out since its 34-40 bucks cheaper.
BKB

Captain
05-26-2015, 09:25 PM
I know it's beneath your high standards but I LOVE the Spirex series with the rear drag and the fighting drag feature. They run about 60 bucks and are rock solid.
I know you are use to spending a lot more than that for a reel so if it will help any you can send me 200 bucks and I'll send you a Spirex reel so you will feel better about it.
If you were catching big fish like me and ever had the occasion to use the fighting drag to turn a fish you would see how great that real is. When a large fish is running and you can easily use the leaver to tighten up on the fish and turn him and then flip it back to the preset position. It is wonderful.
They make the Spirex in standard and rear/fighting drag models.
You should give one of them a go. At 60 bucks you can just chunk it (or mail it to me) if you don't like it. :D
http://m.basspro.com/Shimano-Spirex-RG-Rear-Drag-Spinning-Reel/product/104123/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&kpid=104123&kpid=104123

BarryBobPosthole
05-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I love Spirex reels and I have one I use for cranking ever once in a while. Its currently got a rough spot in it I can't figure it out. Almost like the shaft is bent or something.

Its about six years old and needs to be retired.

BKB

Captain
05-27-2015, 03:48 AM
Is the Spirex model you have a front or rear drag model? My reels see a LOT of cranking every year and I'm still fishing the same reels I had when we all got together years ago. I've added a few new ones but still using those also. The only thing I've noticed is one of them has a weak bail (on closing). I should replace the bail trip spring, but I've gotten use to tripping it manually and don't even think about it any longer. It will still trip but only part way so I just shut it instead of closing it on the crank.

LJ3
05-27-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm very hard on my gear and since I committed to the Stradics, I could not be happier. It's a hard pill to swallow when you buy them, but after that first cast I forget all about it. I got two of the C4i models and they're even a little bit better. You can tell a difference after carrying them wading for 6 hours. They've all been under water several times, banged against rocks when I bust my ass, thrown in the back of a truck, etc. Take the big screw on the side body out (great for older eyes), squirt a couple drops-o-oil in and it's good for another season.

I think my oldest one has about 7 seasons on it and it still winds as easy as my newest one.

I have to admit the Saros got my attention but if it didn't do as well as the Stradic I'd be kicking myself for the $40.

BarryBobPosthole
05-27-2015, 07:13 PM
I think I'll go ahead and get the stradic. I've been trying to pull the trigger on this for a couple years. I got a dividend check this past week that's burning a hole in my pocket. It'll buy the reel but not the rod I want.

BKB

LJ3
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
I'll put even more evil in your head :)

I've had a Fenwick HMX rod that I actually prefer slightly more than my Loomis bronzeback. It's 1/4 the price, has almost equal sensitivty, and fits my hand a little better. They're both awesome but that Fenwick holds it's own against the competition in my opinion.

I have the full handle, don't like the split handles.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Fenwick%C2%AE-HMX%C2%AE-Spinning/1363883,default,pd.html#start=1

BarryBobPosthole
05-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Thanks! I've used some Fenwick rods before. They were baitcaster cranking sticks. Damn good product.

And I don't care for split handles either. The two new falcon lowriders I'm using now have split handles. I thought I'd get used to it. Not yet.
BKB