PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin???....

Big Muddy
05-28-2015, 12:37 PM
First, let me say I will sincerely miss Niner....he was a first-class individual!!!

I've peeked in here, occasionally, but just haven't had much time to add anything....Cap and Bucky have texted with me, and I appreciate that.

That being said, my wife and I have been busy making some life-changing decisions.... nothing is set in stone, yet, but we are both looking at retiring...it will be a tremendous change for me, especially...she, however, is looking forward to it.

I've farmed all my life, and it will hit me hard, to rent out my land, and see strange equipment, working the land....2015 is my 47th crop....that's a lot of dirt trod under my boots....it will be hard to give up, but I'm just tired, both mentally and physically, of the yearly grind.

God has blessed us in so many awesome ways, all these years, and I just pray for HIS continued guidance on this next journey in our lives.

LJ3
05-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Wow, Edwardo, that's big news. You strike me as the type of man that will need to stay busy with work. Pick something that suits you! Or you can do it like Larke and just keeping working till you fall off your damn tractor even though he's technically retired.

Big Muddy
05-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Len, I might just buy one of these, and hit the road!!! ;)

quercus alba
05-28-2015, 01:07 PM
just give me all your money and you can do my job and I'll retire. Both of us will be happy then

Arty
05-28-2015, 01:14 PM
That's big news BM! Congrats. From what little I know and have heard, You'll adjust to it pretty quickly

No-till Boss
05-28-2015, 01:21 PM
First, let me say I will sincerely miss Niner....he was a first-class individual!!!

I've peeked in here, occasionally, but just haven't had much time to add anything....Cap and Bucky have texted with me, and I appreciate that.

That being said, my wife and I have been busy making some life-changing decisions.... nothing is set in stone, yet, but we are both looking at retiring...it will be a tremendous change for me, especially...she, however, is looking forward to it.

I've farmed all my life, and it will hit me hard, to rent out my land, and see strange equipment, working the land....2015 is my 47th crop....that's a lot of dirt trod under my boots....it will be hard to give up, but I'm just tired, both mentally and physically, of the yearly grind.

God has blessed us in so many awesome ways, all these years, and I just pray for HIS continued guidance on this next journey in our lives.

I'm starting my 27th crop, I'm very jealous of your retirement ! Congratulations !

Chicken Dinner
05-28-2015, 01:29 PM
That's huge - congratulations! Just be careful with that retirement stuff. If Larke is any indication, you'll end up working way harder in retirement than you ever did before...

Buckrub
05-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Wow, congrats. I recommend it heartily.

Last guy that retired around here has spurned my every offer to fish with me. I hope you are different!!! :fishing

BarryBobPosthole
05-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Congrats on a job well done, Eddie! You earned it, enjoy it!

You planning to stay in your home or move up to the lake?

I imagine you will find plenty of work to do. It comes from that lifelong habit of looking around and seeing stuff that needs to be done. I can kinda relate!

BKB

jb
05-28-2015, 03:05 PM
I will begin year 13 come the end of June, can't say I've regretted day one.
Believe me, you'll find plenty of things to keep you occupied, even to a point you'll ask yourself "How'd I ever fine time to work"
You have earned it, now enjoy it. If and when you need something to do, you'll be surprised how many little opportunities arise to make this work.

Buckrub
05-28-2015, 03:36 PM
Doc asked me this morning how long ago I retired.

I had to stop and think. And think. And think. And then I got it wrong.

It took a while to flush all the old crapola. But trust me, it's flushed. And the stress with it. New stress replaced it, yes........but not like that crap. And my entire left arm is tanned, no white bands!

Big Muddy
05-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Phole, to be honest, we don't know yet, whether we want to move to the lake house or not....we will prolly just play that part by ear, until the time comes....if it weren't for the grands, we'd sell out, and move tomorrow.

A few weeks ago, we even visited the Lake Caroline area, where my son and grands live nearby, now....WOW, very exclusive area, and it's got a nearly 900 acre lake, with all the trimmings, but a ton of covenants, too!!!....problem is, I'd hafta sell a bunch of sheeit, to purchase a house on the water....I wouldn't even consider a house there, unless it was on the water....least expensive house we liked, for sale that we saw on the water was $450K....another factor is, my son may find a better job in his medical field and move, leaving us high and dry, AGAIN!!!

http://carolinems.com/index.html

No-till Boss
05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Big Muddy, can I ask how old you're ?

Thumper
05-28-2015, 08:51 PM
Rumor has it, he's Methuselah's twin brother. :D

Good luck with it Eddie. And don't just think about it, DO it while you still have your health. Trust me, I know, that can change over night.

HideHunter
05-28-2015, 09:08 PM
You'll wonder when you ever had time to work. ;)

Big Muddy
05-29-2015, 12:07 AM
NoTill, 67 y o, and I've already outlived a bunch of my friends....this life is SOOOO day'um short....just in the past couple of weeks, our community has been rocked with the deaths of six of our local teenagers, in vehicle accidents....these things seem to happen, nearly every year, during school graduation time....it breaks my heart, every time I see the parents....I can't even fathom their sense of loss of a child.

(BTW, I almost said "bite me, Thump", but, I forgot, you so old you ain't got no toofies!!! ;););)

Captain
05-29-2015, 05:20 AM
Retirement for Cuz-Eddie means come to SC farm with Sandy and kill more squirrels than yo' truck can haul home.
Congrats I don't know if you ever "retire" from farming, at the least I bet you will keep a few green tractors around and plant a dove field... :-)

DeputyDog
05-29-2015, 08:40 AM
That is a hard decision, but you'll know when the time is right. Like everyone who is already retired here already said, you'll wonder how you ever had time to work with all the stuff you will find to do. I'm a ways away from that time yet, but do it while you're still healthy enough to enjoy it and be able to go all those places you've always wanted to but couldn't because it was planting time, or harvest time, or time to cut hay, etc...and if you get that urge, maybe the guy you rent your ground to will let you help out some if you really feel the need to get back in the fields.

Bwana
05-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Tough decision for sure and growing up around it I know that it is pretty tough to quit farming cold turkey. As Cappy mentioned I'm guessing you'll still need to play in the dirt a bit, but it is a lot less stressful when you don't have to rely on it for your income.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, just don't forget to take your computer with you if you go.

BarryBobPosthole
05-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Move to Colorado and put that farm experience into a new cash crop!

BKB

LJ3
05-29-2015, 10:57 AM
BBP wins best idea so far!

Big Muddy
05-29-2015, 02:37 PM
I've said many times that the solution to the marijahootchie problem is, to legalize it, and allow the American farmers to grow and sell it on the open market.

Within 2 growing seasons, we would have produced so much of the sheeit, that a semi-load of it would only be worth about $100 bucks. :)

quercus alba
05-29-2015, 06:27 PM
even better, let the Feds regulate it. it'd be so tied up in red tape you couldn't sell it then the govt would subsidize you.

No-till Boss
05-29-2015, 08:16 PM
NoTill, 67 ;)

That's great, I'm proud for you. Here farmers don't retire.....never.....there is NO telling how many farmers we have over 75 and up to 90 STILL farming everyday. I don't wanna be like that, but after this year I might retire prematurity. LOL