PDA

View Full Version : Well, ole B.B. King is being laid to rest, today....

Big Muddy
05-30-2015, 12:37 PM
He was a real icon, down this way....burial site in Indianola, MS is only about 10 miles from my home....funeral is currently, being broadcast live on Public Broadcasting TV....approx. 10,000 folks showed up from all over the world.

Folks down here say he's got "street chirren" scattered all over the MS Delta....he was quite the Don Juan, in his glory days....one of his "supposed" son-in-laws worked for me over 20 years....he told me some real doozy stories about B.B., and I have no reason to doubt him.

If any of ya'll are ever down this way, visit the B.B. King Blues Museum, built for him in his birthplace of Indianola, MS....it is a first-class museum, and a real tribute to his legacy....he really supported the community and surrounding towns....and, don't forget to have a meal, across the street, at the Blue Biscuit Café, or next door at Sookie's BBQ....both owners are friends of mine....I've accused Gary of spiking his bbq'd pork butt with cocaine....it's just THAT addictive. ;)

No-till Boss
05-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Don't stop now, let's hear the stories !

Buckrub
05-30-2015, 02:15 PM
No wonder some of the folks here ignore me. Man...........there are a couple of people here that seem to know half the world, and it's the danged UPPER half, for sure.

Me, I can't even keep one friend. Lost one not long ago.........no, not that way. I just got tired of knowing all my faults, all the time. Life's too short.....and lately it is, for sure.

Ed, I think one of these days I'm gonna just show up at your door, and sit and spit with you till you ask me to leave. It'd be my honor.

Headed out to buy Mama a cow part.........she loves cow parts. 'specially the ones that end in mignon...........

Big Muddy
05-30-2015, 04:48 PM
Bucky, you know day'um well that you're welcome at my house, anytime.....just call first, so I have time to hang some garlic and bloody chicken feathers over the door. ;););)

Thumper
05-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Dang Edward, when I got out of truck driving school, I was an old fart surrounded by a bunch of young whipper-snapper students. The company rented a big passenger van, made me the designated driver and packed that thing full of recently graduated students. I dropped half the guys off at the Werner Terminal in Indianola, then hauled the rest of us on over to Dallas where I was assigned my truck. As an OTR driver, I was sent to the Indianola terminal many times. I think I even have the address memorized ... I believe it was 33 (or maybe 22?) Beaverdam Road. How come you never came to see me when I was in town? ;)

Buckrub
05-30-2015, 06:52 PM
Bucky, you know day'um well that you're welcome at my house, anytime.....just call first, so I have time to hang some garlic and bloody chicken feathers over the door. ;););)

Yeah, but I could only come at night that way.

Mama just gave me an option of going camping or going to the farm, or both. I MUST get work done at farm, probably going mid week next week. After that, might go camping. What's Chicot looking like?

Big Muddy
05-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Thump, I think we talked about your coming thru here, previously, when you first started driving....we just were never able to connect.
Yep, Beaverdam Rd. is out by the big Dollar General terminal.

Big Muddy
05-30-2015, 11:38 PM
Don't stop now, let's hear the stories !

Well, one unsubstantiated story is when B.B. was a young teenager, and started working for an old local farmer....he was learning to be a tractor driver, and accidentally wrecked the old farmer's tractor....the old fella got mad, and ran B.B. off his farm....B.B. was scared of the old farmer, so he went to Memphis to live with relatives....he was already a pretty good blues guitar player, so that's how he got his start....he didn't return to his hometown, until he heard that the old farmer had died.

No-till Boss
05-31-2015, 09:09 AM
That's good stuff, and a course that could have changed history !

Big Muddy
05-31-2015, 10:01 AM
Almost forget to mention it, but B.B.'s museum is in downtown Indianola, and, of course, the downtown area is commercially zoned....when the city fathers found out that B.B. wanted to be laid to rest in Indianola, they voted unanimously to allow him to be buried in the beautiful lawn area, right in front of his museum's front door.

Thumper
05-31-2015, 10:52 AM
B.B. wanted to be laid to rest in Indianola, they voted unanimously to allow him to be buried in the beautiful lawn area, right in front of his museum's front door.

Now that's pretty cool. :thumbsup

LJ3
06-01-2015, 09:56 AM
That's a nice thing to do... Call me pessimistic or a curmudgeon but I imagine that was about revenue as much as it was doing a good thing.