PDA

View Full Version : Who knows Savannah???....

Big Muddy
06-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Wifey had some girl friends and their hubbys, who just returned from Savannah....they raved on and on about how they loved the place....now, I'm getting an ear-full about going there for our anniversary trip....any of you dufes know the place well enough to give some info. about the do's and don'ts there???....(Thump and/or Cap-I don't need addresses of the titty bars.;))

Buckrub
06-16-2015, 06:33 PM
My son lives there. Is a Paramedic there. Been there often.

Captain
06-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Been there many times. Fish there a bit too. Love the historic river front area and all the bars and eat joins on the water. Good redfishing out there. I fish Tybee island and Little Tybee Island.
I would recommend staying on the river front if history and local flavor is what you are after. If y'all are wanting a "beach" vacation stay at Tybee Island

Nandy
06-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Our last trip there was 2 years ago. Lots of good eating (seafood). They have haunted houses tours and more. Lots stuff to do, you just need to figure what your wife want and I am sure it is there...

No-till Boss
06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Beautiful trees there ....

Buckrub
06-16-2015, 07:42 PM
It's where the Forrest Gump movie filmed that scene where he ran 'home' or away from home, or whichever........down the lane with the big trees on both sides with Spanish Moss. Spanish Moss is everywhere. The house is not there, it was in Alabama. But the trees and lane are there. You can pay to drive down it. Sort of anticlimatic, but at least you can say you saw it.

Downtown is artsy fartsy. Place halfway to Jacksonville, if it's still there, on the coast (what they call a coast.........the intercoastal waterway), with a seafood buffet. When I was there years ago, it was about $60 a pop. And worth it.

Captain
06-16-2015, 07:55 PM
The park bench where Forest Gump told his story it right in the center of the river front area. Not sure where the house is in that area with the big trees...

Buckrub
06-16-2015, 08:49 PM
The house is in Alabama. The trees and lane are in Savannah. Movie put 'em together.

Thumper
06-17-2015, 11:05 AM
We've spent many weekends in Savannah and absolutely love it! We always stay at the Hyatt Regency right on the river and can walk along all the shops on the riverfront without having to drive. As far as stuff to do, the town is saturated with history and we try to hit different sites and areas whenever we're there. We could spend 100 weekends and never see everything we'd like to see.

NOTE: Parking will eat you alive and is a major hassle if you run around town much. Even though we have our room comped at the Hyatt, they charge a bazillion $$$/day for parking there (parking is owned by a separate company). Go to the Savannah Visitors Center (they're close to the river) and buy a parking pass. It's cheap and allows you to park all over town with no limit on how many times you use it! It includes city parking garages (they're everywhere) plus parking meters (just leave the pass on your dash). In fact, there's a City Garage right across the street from the Hyatt, so we don't even have to pay the hotel parking fees when we stay there. Do it, you'll thank me later.

http://www.savannah.com/parking-in-savannah/

We're "foodies" and our absolute favorite place to eat is The Wilkes House (it's actually an old house). Even though we may spend an hour or two in line, it's worth the wait! The crowd is friendly and the time passes swiftly with great conversation and chances to meet people. (you even sit at group tables, like family) Yes, it's crazy, but WELL worth the wait. They're only open 3 hours per day 11:00 - 2:00, Mon. - Fri, so get there early for a place in line (no reservations). They keep the platters filled on the table and you eat all you can handle. Trust me ... it belongs on your "must do" list. Oh, and it's cash only!

http://mrswilkes.com/

A short blurb from their website:

A line gathers each morning at 107 West Jones Street. At 11 o'clock, the doors of 107 open and the lunch crowd finds seats at one of the large tables-for-ten shared by strangers. Tabletops are crowded with platters of fried chicken and cornbread dressing, sweet potato souffle, black-eyed peas, okra gumbo, corn muffins and biscuits. The menu changes daily so regulars can have something different every day. Stop by and enjoy the special pleasure of a meal shared with neighbors and strangers.

Here's a pic of Lynn in front of the restaurant and the line as it was when we arrived! (the house is down the street in the middle of the block!) The line is like that every day of the week, so you KNOW it's good!

4925 4926

LJ3
06-17-2015, 01:24 PM
spoiler alert! Thump story!

Buckrub
06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Ed, you can listen to these guys, who do know the area........or you can shed the wife, call my son, and I promise y'all can get into deep trouble at places these guys never heard of.

Wait.........I thought you wuz Thump.

Never mind.

Thumper
06-21-2015, 01:37 AM
Surrounded by smart-asses! Sheeesh, try to answer the guy's question and youse dufes gots ta' mess with me. Heck, the above was the SHORT version ... Savannah has a bazillion things to do and we're only about .02% through our bucket list! Heck, I didn't even mention the ghost tour we took one night! ;)