PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Airbud, you find any inet service, yet???....

Big Muddy
06-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Just wondering, because living out in the boondocks, I had been looking to dump my sorry-azzed Dish inet service, but couldn't find any other suitable options....just by a stroke of luck, I happened to be talking to a buddy, who told me about a small local inet provider....I found out later that there are some small local inet providers, popping up in other areas, and giving the big boys some competition.

Dish was charging me $80 bucks a month, and only allowed me 15 gigs of usage each month, and they would promptly cut my azz off, the instant I exceeded my usage allowance....and, my reception was always getting interrupted, if two raindrops hit the satellite dish on the roof.

Long story-short....I called the local guys, and they came out, and installed a small antenna, only about the size of a sweet tater on my roof....reception is perfect and fast, and the best part is I get "unlimited usage" for only $38 bucks a month.

Ask around, and you might find some small local inet providers in your area.

Captain
06-17-2015, 04:51 AM
I need that at my SC farm. How do I go about finding such a company????

Thumper
06-17-2015, 08:26 AM
My buddy in W. Texas lives out in the sticks ... waaay out some dirt road, in a trailer in the middle of an old hay field. He had no service, so got satellite (which had constant outages) until Verizon put a cell tower within range of his house, so he switched over a few years ago. He has no home phone and only uses his cell, which he also uses as a hotspot for his I-net connection. A couple months ago, he found a small, local provider and switched over ... they also threw in free home phone service and his bill is less than half what he was paying previously. I forgot the name of the new service, but could find out. No clue where they're located. BTW, he still uses his cell phone as a hotspot and says he watches movies and videos (he's hooked on Hulu) with no problem.

Big Muddy
06-17-2015, 08:51 AM
I need that at my SC farm. How do I go about finding such a company????

Cap, I don't really know, unless you do a web search of inet providers in your area....I stumbled onto these guys, during the course of complaining about Dish, to my buddy.

Their name is Mobile Communications, LLC.

Thumper
06-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Just texted my buddy. He uses Ptel and isn't paying squat compared to what he was paying previously. He kept his Verizon plan going for the first couple of months just in case it didn't work out, but ended up dropping their service.

https://www.ptel.com/

Buckrub
06-17-2015, 09:30 AM
The size of a sweet tater.

I love being southern!

http://www.mobilecommllc.us/services/services.pl?action=category2&title=Wireless%20Internet%20Service

They have a tower in Itta Bena.......and collect and distribute signals from there. I suspect Ed is purty danged close to that, so he qualifies.

I have a friend in town whose brother owns such a company. He operates a similar deal......he's put small towers all around town where he could. IF you can get his signal at your place..........depending on a lot of factors.........he sells internet connections much cheaper than local ISP's or Telco, or for sure Satellite providers. At my house, there are way too many trees (they came out and did a signal test), so I can't use him. But if you can get his signal, it's pretty good.

These companies are not everywhere......and if you don't have one, you're sorta stuck with satellite like Ed was.

Oh, and the 'home phone' that these guys provide is VoIP. Used to suck, but it's gotten very reliable lately.

Big Muddy
06-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Yep, Bucky, that's them....and, as the crow flies, I'm 3.86 miles from their main service antenna.

airbud7
06-18-2015, 06:40 PM
At this moment I'm using somebody's wifi ???.......is that illegal?.......Lol...

Arty
06-19-2015, 07:10 AM
At this moment I'm using somebody's wifi ???.......is that illegal?.......Lol...

Only if the connection was labeled "FBI Surveillance Van"

Nandy
06-19-2015, 07:57 PM

I as an ex "wifi warrior driver" I can tell you it is only illegal if you get caught.... I think the law change to the point that even if it is unlocked the illegal user is prosecutable.... Not sure if that is federal or state driven...

Larke, dont you have enough digital signal on your phone? If you can browse the net, play movies and such in your phone you can use your phone as a hot spot. Phone calls and texts comes in a gsm signal so getting those are not an indicator that you can get to the net.