PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of asshole cops!

LJ3
06-17-2015, 12:46 PM
I ran across one that was NOT an asshole this morning! Turns out if you're honest and nice to a cop, he'll usually respond in kind. He could have EASILY busted my ass for reckless driving which is serious bidness in Va these days and usually requires a lawyer.

Turns out that if you're honest about speeding, don't argue about it, speak to the officer respectfully and have a squeaky clean record that not only will he sometimes let you off with a warning, you don't get shot, either.

I wonder if this approach would work for anyone or it's just another example of my white privilege?

Oh, and I DID like the personal touch of "Just for your information I wanted to inform you this traffic stop is being recorded." to which I responded "I don't blame you, I would too these days!"

Thumper
06-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Those local cops should all know you on a first name basis by now Mr. Leadfoot. ;)

I've ALWAYS been totally respectful anytime I've been stopped. It many times leads to nothing more than a written warning (worst case scenario) or simply a "verbal" warning (best case scenario).

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uj0mtxXEGE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buckrub
06-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Common sense. Imagine that.

LJ3
06-17-2015, 01:04 PM
He was about 3 feet tall, kinda pissed off, with a drill Sgt demeanor. I thought for sure he'd throw the book at me but he didn't. I thanked him profusely!

Thumper
06-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Those types usually have a "short man's attitude" ... which can be VERY dangerous behind that badge. :hair

jb
06-17-2015, 01:48 PM
According to #3, Attitude is the No. 1 reason you get a ticket or not, or if you're a women how much cleavage is showing. :biggrin
LJ, by now I'd thought you've have your license revoked.

LJ3
06-17-2015, 02:51 PM
According to #3, Attitude is the No. 1 reason you get a ticket or not, or if you're a women how much cleavage is showing. :biggrin
LJ, by now I'd thought you've have your license revoked.

I have a squeaky clean driving record!

I admit I am a leadfoot and I do drive fast and almost always exceed the posted speed limit. What makes me different is a few things (1) I am HYPER aware at all times of everything around me, I look far ahead and am always alert to any potential situation. I see 95% of them before they even occur. (b) I never speed in residential areas, school zones or places where there's pedestrians. (iii) I am an excellent driver. I'll put my skills up against anyone. I pay attention!

Thumper
06-17-2015, 04:04 PM
I'll take you on LJ. I'm a professional. My license says so! ;)

LJ3
06-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Bring a stool, you'll need it afterwards.

Nandy
06-17-2015, 04:14 PM
Didnt work for me in VA. Clean record too, If I recall right I got stop 5 mph over the speed limit off I85 trying to pass an 18 wheeler that the wind draft had been driving me crazy for the last 30 min. He ask me if I knew I was speeding and I say yes, there is no way I could pass that semi that is going at the speed limit if I dont go faster than him but it was just 5 mph.... He say, well, i will have to write you a citation. I went to court to see if the judge will drop it, he did not care.

I have no idea if it was a racial thing or not, neither I questioned now.

LJ3
06-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I was doing 82 :)

Thumper
06-17-2015, 04:31 PM
I was doing 82 :)

He must have clocked you after you spotted him and slowed down. :)

LJ3
06-17-2015, 04:38 PM
Under advice of counsel I would like to invoke my 5th Amendment rights.