PDA

View Full Version : Big Day

Buckrub
06-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Other than the fact that I feel old today for some reason, I'm gonna be nervous for a few days.

Middle granddaughter of middle daughter........are both on a plane headed to Las Vegas. She turned 15 last week, and she is headed to the Grand Poo Bah of Whatever Karate (Kung Po???) she is in, to test before his exalted self and others, for her adult black belt. She, and her younger brother (now 13) have progressed as far as they allow in Jr. Black Belt. They have black belts with dingles and dangles and this color and that one, and the next step is to jump into full adult black belt.

I would have thought they would start her over at white belt and progress her along again...........even if on an accelerated rate.....but no. They just step over and test for the adult. Many don't make it. She weighs about eleven pounds soaking wet, and is not the physical specimen you'd expect. But boy......she can do 100 setups before you can blink, can run 10 miles better and without breathing hard, than any adult in that class. I'm not sure what all she has to do, but I think she's ready for all except maybe the brick breaking part. She has worked on that for weeks and just recently got proficient at it. So that is worrying her.

We wanted to go see this, but couldn't afford it. Plus, my older daughter and grandson (and 2 of his friends) are here from S. Carolina till next week. Can't see 'em all I guess. And the karate clan is supposed to come here to visit next month. Then we maybe get the little guy for a week. By end of July I'll be worn out!

Anyway, just concerned for my Zoe. I am confident she'll do fine, but still............ and even if she doesn't make it this time, I'm sure she will before long. She's very good at this stuff.

Brag over.

:bj

Chicken Dinner
06-25-2015, 10:53 AM
That's very cool. Kids today have an awful lot of distractions and it takes a real commitment to make it as far as your grand kids.

My youngest son does Tae Kwan Do (Korean) and just earned his red belt. So, he's got 1st Brown, 2nd Brown left before he tests for Black. Interestingly enough, TKD does not differentiate between adults and juniors in their rank advancement. While the martial arts and physical conditioning stuff is great, I've also been very impressed by other components of the program like respect and self discipline.

Buckrub
06-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Very loud and emphatic second to that!!!

Bwana
06-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Best of luck to the young lady and you have every right to be proud Grandpa.

LJ3
06-25-2015, 04:53 PM
I hope she with some serious butt!