PDA

View Full Version : GPS and Farm update

Buckrub
06-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Thanks to all who tried to help me find the corners of the 80 acre woods at the farm.

You know when everyone you know says A and you don't, maybe it's you that's wrong. SO, I probably did something wrong with the Coordinates that y'all (and another friend I have) gave me for the NE corner I was searching for. It turns out it doesn't matter, but more on that in a sec.

I took the coordinates and converted them to the format my Garmin and my Phone had, DD SS.SSS, and I guess I did that wrong. Because what I wrote down didn't work.

My daughter and I walked to the NE corner of the FIRST 40 acres, which I had marked manually. It's easy to find, there's an old fence to follow. But it goes no further. I expected to get here, enter the far NE corner into GPS and say "GO TO", and it'd show me an arrow for direction. But when I did that, it pointed South another 873 yards!! So, I messed that up.

It didn't matter. What I did was just simply walk by looking back along the northern boundary that I'd marked with a zillion red flags, and try to walk due east along the same line. Well........I didn't make it 60 yards and to go further I'd have been waist deep in a slough!!!!

SO, the whole point of finding that corner................to locate an additional 40 acres of woods I'm not hunting.......is sorta out of the question. I can't hunt it anyway..........well, maybe for ducks!!!

However, I did manually go and mark the exact NW and SW corners.........they are both easy, they're right on a county road. SO I marked them again, and made sure I have them. I sent them to a friend and he did the following map for me. The map is looking north. The county road runs north/south on the western boundary of the 80.

As he shows on the map, about 1/2 of the back 40 is swamp! This map was made in 2000, but that's about accurate still. Thus, I can probably over time find a spot, maybe two, in the back 20 acres that isn't flooded, but it'd take napalm and a D9 cat. I can get close, and that's what I'll do over time.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk131/Buck7088/Farm%20Pics/80%20from%20Dick_zpsunhwcla7.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/Buck7088/media/Farm%20Pics/80%20from%20Dick_zpsunhwcla7.jpg.html)

another interesting thing.........I've told my wife (raised in this country) and my daughter how badly mosquitoes flock to me. They don't bother them, or the guy we lease to, or others.......nearly as badly. They eat me up. I'm not sure they really believed me.

SO, my daughter and I pull up to the gate in my side by side, and I'm within 3 feet of the exact corner, so I'm sitting in the driver's seat fiddling with the GPS and my phone. She starts laughing. I can't even get it done because billions of mosquitoes are all over me. She has not one circling her anywhere!! Seriously. I can't breathe for them. She said "Dad, I guess I see now what you mean". The whole time we were in the woods, and we walked quite a bit of it..........she had the same reaction.

THEN, when we got home, my grandson and his two buddies had chiggers. And so did I. Grandson had 3 bites. Daughter had 16. I had 300,000. His buddy (from South Carolina) had Forty Elebben Bazillion. We're just now recovering.

Lastly, the kitchen electricity issues continued. Several receptacles went out, and other things. I gave in, and called the electrician and said "ENOUGH! Fix it". He said he could only do it piecemeal over time, so not sure how long it'll take, but maybe by deer season we can actually cook in this place!

Bwana
06-26-2015, 04:56 PM
'Rub - get yourself to one of those bottlenecks along the slough during deer season and you will shoot a deer if there are any in the country, especially once the pressure commences on the surrounding properties. I'm thinking somewhere along the northern border where there is water on either side.

Buckrub
06-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Have already marked a high(er) grassy knoll in that area, and have found and printed plans for a wood shoothouse that I want about a foot off the ground.

One thing I failed to mention.............

I had four game cameras out for 2 weeks. I had pics of about 5 deer.......mostly far off in the brush, but one close up...one small buck in velvet and rest does. HOWEVER, I had pic after pic after pic, ALL at night, of humongous hogs. Saddens me. This delta area was one where hogs had not made it yet...........but clearly they have now. Found a lot of sign too.

Bwana
06-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Choot'm Bucky, Choot all dem hogs!