PDA

View Full Version : Well, she didn't make it

Buckrub
06-28-2015, 03:25 PM
Granddaughter didn't make adult black belt. It turns out almost no one did! Not sure yet how many made it, they finished late last night in testing.......but it was a 'weeding out' test, and failure meant being told to leave the room. She was one of the last 10 or so left, and only one other Jr. was in that group.

My 13 y/o grandson is also actually the same rank, highest Jr. Black Belt, but he couldn't test because you have to be 15 at least. Granddaughter is 15 years, and 2 weeks!!! She was by far the youngest there. Most were adults.

For some reason, daughter says, they seem to have failed everyone..........for some really small reasons (your arm in that procedure was chin height, and should have been eye level, so you can leave). She's not sure the deal........but she says this is far different than what it has been in years past. In every year previous, if the applicant knew what to do, but didn't do it quite perfectly, they were told and given a 2nd chance. This year, it was 'do wrong even slightly and you're gone'.

Granddaughter was major upset last night. But today she seems to have it better in perspective, and seemingly is motivated to overcome failure. If that was the goal, looks like it succeeded with her. I'm hoping she doesn't get discouraged and that she stays with it. She's unreal good at this stuff.

Meanwhile her older sister just took the ACT and SAT. She made within a few points of getting a completely full college ride, and will be a senior next year........so she has hopes she can increase it. You also have to be in top 5% of your class, and she is barely inside that........so again, she hopes to get there yet.

Fine group of grandkids those. They'll be here in about 2-3 weeks to visit. Can't wait.

Anyway, fyi.

LJ3
06-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Sounds like lots of reasons to be proud of them little ones! Something tells me the skinny bad ass girl WILL get her belt!

Thumper
06-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Luckily (for them), they seem to be lacking in grandpa's genes! :D

Congrats Gramps ... and to the little ones!

Buckrub
06-28-2015, 08:15 PM
They're all far better than I. So is the #1 grandson here visiting. Cappy can attest to that.

Nothing pleases me more than that.

DeputyDog
06-29-2015, 08:55 AM
A lot of times, they will fail people on the first attempt just to see what their attitude is, if they give up or take it as a challenge and try again.

It's still amazing to be in that position at her age.

Bwana
06-29-2015, 04:52 PM
No reason to hang your head on a deal like that, chin up and get it done next time!