PDA

View Full Version : Need LEO help on this one I guess

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 01:48 PM
and boy, am I gonna get hammered for this one!

This is a serious question. I'm not being facetious. OK?

I read yet another case today of a man in NJ being charged with "supporting ISIS".

Can someone tell me what laws these folks are breaking? I don't mean if they are caught with bombs, or conspiracy to commit murder. They aren't charged with that, seems to me. Their charge, the law they are breaking, is support of ISIS.

How can that be?????:huh

LJ3
06-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Good question! I would assume the people would have a burden of proof to conspire with a terrorist organization?

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Well.......yeah maybe. I'm just going on the fact that that isn't what they say...........they simply say "Charged with helping ISIS" or some such language.

Is this just a headline wording issue? What are they really charged with? There's been several lately.............

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 02:03 PM
U.S. authorities on Thursday charged a New Jersey man with conspiring to support the militant group Islamic State, the fourth person arrested in recent days in and around New York City as part of a broader investigation.

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Appears he didn't actually support them, he just wanted to..............

?????????????

Thumper
06-29-2015, 02:06 PM
That IS a good question. There must be more than meets the eye or I don't see any way the charges would stand up in court. But, this begs another question. Like that kid who just shot up the church in Charleston, they said they wish they'd caught him before he did anything as there were warning signs that friends and family never took seriously. How could HE be arrested or "stopped" if he'd never done anything but talk about it? Where is the line drawn? Arrest him for "terrorist threats"? What is the penalty?

Thumper
06-29-2015, 02:11 PM
This seems like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation for law enforcement. I have no clue what the answer is.

But, I guess it's like Chris Hanson and that show "To Catch a Preditor". Some dude wants to have sex with an underaged girl, yet they arrest him when he shows up ... but really hasn't broken the law IMHO. Or, how can they get you for soliciting a prostitute if she never had time to give you a knob-job. "Heck officer, I was just offering her a ride." Is that against the law?

They must have them on record for promising support of some sort. Heck, I can fantasize about boinking Penelope Cruz ... does that mean they can arrest me for rape?

LJ3
06-29-2015, 02:59 PM
[SD on] It'd be way easier to give the CIA authority to just snuff those fuckers using information gleaned from exploiting the patriot act. [SD off]

Captain
06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
It's pretty clear there Bucky?
"Authorities on Monday charged 23-year-old Alaa Saadeh, of West New York, of conspiring to provide material support to ISIS and witness tampering. They say he tried to persuade a witness to lie to the FBI."
Guess I don't understand what it is that you don't understand. Seems clear to me.
Are you looking for the statue number? Or the language in the law he broke?

Thumper
06-29-2015, 03:17 PM
[SD on] It'd be way easier to give the CIA authority to just snuff those fuckers using information gleaned from exploiting the patriot act. [SD off]

It wouldn't be the first time. :biggrin

Thumper
06-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Well that makes more sense Cappy. As I said above .... "There must be more than meets the eye ...". I never saw the article.

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Thanks Cappy. I guess I didn't read far enough, my bad. As I said, I was going on the headline and the first paragraph.

Been taking care of getting daughter and grandson on road........they leave tomorrow for home. Guilty of not spending enough time here to have the full story! My bad.

And thanks.

No-till Boss
06-29-2015, 03:46 PM
This seems like a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation for law enforcement. I have no clue what the answer is.

But, I guess it's like Chris Hanson and that show "To Catch a Preditor". Some dude wants to have sex with an underaged girl, yet they arrest him when he shows up ... but really hasn't broken the law IMHO. Or, how can they get you for soliciting a prostitute if she never had time to give you a knob-job. "Heck officer, I was just offering her a ride." Is that against the law?

They must have them on record for promising support of some sort. Heck, I can fantasize about boinking Penelope Cruz ... does that mean they can arrest me for rape?

Honestly, in todays times, is there a bigger discrimination against women than prostitution ? A women can give her stuff away all day long, and no-one cares, BUT if she puts a price on it, then it becomes illegal !

Captain
06-29-2015, 04:59 PM
A women can give her stuff away all day long, and no-one cares, BUT if she puts a price on it, then it becomes illegal !

Not in my mind! :D

Thumper
06-29-2015, 05:28 PM
Honestly, in todays times, is there a bigger discrimination against women than prostitution ? A women can give her stuff away all day long, and no-one cares, BUT if she puts a price on it, then it becomes illegal !

Once they put a price on it ... they need to pay income taxes. ;)

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 06:22 PM
Not if they are incorporated!

Captain
06-29-2015, 06:49 PM
If her favors make you call out to deity perhaps she could qualify for the religious tax exempt status. ;)

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 06:52 PM
You're on a roll lately. Flying right over the top of stuff, and making me laugh.