PDA

View Full Version : Butch Richenback passed away

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Pass by RNT all the time. Went right by it last week.

RIP.........

No-till Boss
06-29-2015, 09:15 PM
He was one of the original duck dynasty guys......not the TV kind either .

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Yep. Me and you prolly onliest ones that know that, though. At least here. Here, at this place that used to be a hunting site. :)

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Remember, I once went to school with Eddie Holt, and Dixie Major.

No-till Boss
06-29-2015, 09:38 PM
You and Butch were about the same age too ? Right ?

Buckrub
06-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Yep.

Thumper
06-30-2015, 08:46 AM
No clue ... had to Google him. RIP

BarryBobPosthole
06-30-2015, 09:00 AM
If you have never been to a duck calling contest, its a pretty amazing thing to watch. For about ten seconds it is anyway.

This guy's company made dandy calls.

BKB

Thumper
06-30-2015, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure I've ever even owned a duck call. That may have sumpin' to do with why I'm clueless.

No-till Boss
06-30-2015, 09:46 AM
His feeding call was legendary ....

BarryBobPosthole
06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
My bestest buddy and duck hunting partner for almost all of my duck hunting years is one of those look down his nose snobby assed old time duck calling authorities who would about have a conniption fit if I even ever raised a call to my lips whilst in the blind. In the truck on the way to or from was fine although he'd look like he swallowed a persimmon the whole time.
So naturally I think duck calling is highly overrated. I've killed many by just simply quacking at them once or twice with my call instead of using all the various pick up lines people always claim to have.

BKB

HideHunter
06-30-2015, 09:54 AM
Listening to Butch on tape is how I learned to blow a "flute" goose call. I met him at the DU convention - in New Orleans. For 10 years I chaired the largest Greenwing event in the state. I knew I was going to "retire" after 10 and wanted to do something special. I called Butch and asked him what my cost would be on 200 duck calls. I "guessed" I was going to have a thousand bucks to raise. He sold me 200 duck calls - complete with Greenwing emblem for $2.15 each. Calls would have retailed for around $15.

Godspeed Butch.

You must have got the 'scoop" Buck - can't find anything anywhere. Do you have link? thnx.

Chicken Dinner
06-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Man, I miss waterfowl hunting.

Buckrub
06-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Listening to Butch on tape is how I learned to blow a "flute" goose call. I met him at the DU convention - in New Orleans. For 10 years I chaired the largest Greenwing event in the state. I knew I was going to "retire" after 10 and wanted to do something special. I called Butch and asked him what my cost would be on 200 duck calls. I "guessed" I was going to have a thousand bucks to raise. He sold me 200 duck calls - complete with Greenwing emblem for $2.15 each. Calls would have retailed for around $15.

Godspeed Butch.

You must have got the 'scoop" Buck - can't find anything anywhere. Do you have link? thnx.

I saw it first here:
http://www.arkansashunting.net/showthread.php?t=195241
I do think you have to be registered, but not sure.

And all of you know I don't like egos or bragging. But I will be happy to work a flock of ducks into your decoys for you if you want. I have three Yentzen Sure Shot double reeds. If more than that is needed to be good, then I'm a failure. But Posty is right.......you won't hear MUCH from me...unless they have decided to leave and are in the next county. Then the term "Blowhard" fits me fairly well.

HideHunter
06-30-2015, 11:26 AM
I got to hunt with several "old-timers" a few years. I blow a single reed call made by one of my buddies. It's a very "quiet" call - and based on my calling - I think that's why he gave it to me. ;) One of them blew a Yentzen. He had a "crying" ( I called it whining) "comeback" call - that on certain days would make those ducks react like noting I've seen before or since.

Buckrub
06-30-2015, 05:43 PM
http://www.outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=31524&articletype=article&key=rnt-duckcalling-legend-butch-richenback-passes-away