PDA

View Full Version : You probably won't believe a word of this ...

Thumper
07-03-2015, 02:40 PM
... and I wouldn't blame you one bit if you don't.

There was a thread going the other day where I mentioned some sort of math stupidity. I have no clue which thread it was, or even what it was about, but something to do with math came up (I think). The only thing I remember from that thread is Bucky said, "That's why I quit teaching math" (or something like that).

Anyway, today I helped a friend with her estate sale. Her partner was tied up and it was just her and her young (mid-20-something) niece running the sale, so I was asked if I could hang with them as a bit of security because they would be alone with a lot of cash on them. It was a large 2-story house, the niece stayed upstairs, my friend set up a desk at the door and played cashier, while I circulated through the rest of the house helping where I could and generally keeping an eye on everyone. Plus I was available if there was any sort of trouble and either of the gals needed help.

Ok, today was the second day of the sale and everything was 1/2 price. The regulars all know it's half-price day, but many who just drift in, may not always realize it even though there are plenty of signs posted. Many people were surprised when they went to check out and their tab was a lot lower than they'd expected, so it was explained again, the price is half off the tagged amount. Many were saying things like, "Well, I wanted that (fill in the blank) upstairs, but the girl up there told me it's the price marked. The stupid thing is, I had heard of this earlier and went up to remind her of the 1/2 price thing, but evidently it didn't sink in.

Once we hit a slow period, there was just one lady there buying a lamp marked $40. When she was told $20 ... she said if she'd known that, she'd have bought the pair (so I went upstairs to get the other lamp for her and told the niece to come downstairs as she needed to get the pricing straight). The lady paid $40 for her PAIR of lamps and left. Then my friend asked her niece why she was quoting the full price for everything because everything is supposed to be half price.

Ok, are you ready for this? (she IS blonde by the way) Her answer was, "I don't know how to do halves!!" I swear I about fell out of my chair laughing as I just KNEW she was joking. As I watched her, I realized she was dead serious. I told her that lady had a $40 lamp ... she doesn't know what half of $40 is? She answered with, "I don't know how to do halves of ANYTHING!" I swear she was as serious as a heart attack! I asked if she graduated high school and she gave me a dumb look like I was from Mars and said, "Of COURSE I graduated, but I don't think we learned halves!"

UN-FRIGGING BELIEVABLE!! I swear on a stack of Betty Crocker Cookbooks, I am dead-assed serious!

Thumper
07-03-2015, 02:51 PM
On a kind of related note, I saw a little segment on FOX News where they went out and asked people questions about the 4th of July. I only remember a couple of them, but one was, "Name ONE person who signed the Declaration of Independence." The person answered Abraham Lincoln!

Another question was, "On the 4th of July, we're celebrating our independence from what country?" The guy said he wasn't too good at that stuff and to ask his wife because she is the smart one. Her answer? California!

This country scares me sometimes. :(

Buckrub
07-03-2015, 02:55 PM
No hateful comment.

Buckrub
07-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Didn't mean you. I meant "I will forego any hateful comment here".

Thumper
07-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Ha ha ha! I've been surrounded by blondes all day today! :D

Buckrub
07-03-2015, 03:22 PM
And I, above everyone else here, believe every word of this. I won't repeat my Burger King story. But this is prevalent. I don't know if it's a majority or not. But it's sad stuff. Can you imagine this response in Japan? Switzerland? Germany? I don't know the answer.

Thumper
07-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah! You just reminded me of that other thread ... I think I'd given a gal $5.03 at a thrift store, for something that cost $4.28, so I'd get 3 quarters back and she was totally bum-fuddled.

I also remember your Burger King story and at the time you told it, I had a very similar McDonald's story. It's rteally, REALLY scary!

Thumper
07-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Didn't see you sneak back in Sunny ... yep, that's what we were talking about the other day. The stupid thing is, if they'd just put it in the register, it tells them what change to give ... but they get so confused, they don't even ring it up. I will say, the gal at the thrift store (a small, church charity store) didn't have a register, she just uses an adding machine and hands you the tape as a receipt, but still ...

BarryBobPosthole
07-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Its not that I don't believe she is that stupid as much as it is I think she is dog ass lazy.

Don't know halves my foot.

I wonder if that lne works when she's at lunch with somebody?

BKB

Thumper
07-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Separate tickets.

Thumper
07-03-2015, 03:51 PM
I wonder if anyone ever told her, "Don't worry baby, I'll just stick it in HALF way!" ;)