PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with at least SOME effort?

Thumper
07-04-2015, 08:28 AM
I don't want to hear the old "there ain't no jobs" b/s. I have a friend (no, actually a brother of a friend) who has never really had a job that I can remember. He has a thousand and one excuses as to why he can't work, but I've known him for 26 years and have NEVER witnessed any real reason he can't do SOMETHING. He's lived on the public dole since I've known him. I have no clue what kind of program(s) he's on, but if there's a government hand-out program, he knows ALL the details. Silly b/s like his "Obama phone", etc. He can rattle off "programs" I've never heard of and didn't even know existed! I will guarandamntee you, if I had ZERO income and was physically able to work, I could at least get a job flipping burgers by noon today! I see no reason on earth he can't flip burgers. Heck, the reason I bring this up is I ran into him yesterday and he was hand-waxing his truck! Heck, that crap would wear ME out even when I was a young pup!

Anyway, I have mentioned eBay to him for the past year or so and yesterday I asked him if he'd ever looked into it. He hee-hawed around and ... well, the answer was "no". He doesn't really need it ... whatever "programs" he's on, he seems to be happy with and sure doesn't seem to be really in need of anything. Granted, I'd never consider living in the apartment he lives in, but that's beside the point and he has no problem with it.

When I got out of the hospital, I could barely walk across the room. After months of physical therapy, I got to the point I could at least get around, but accomplishing anything remotely physical was pretty much out of the question. Ok, without disability insurance (SDI) for a couple of years, I'd have been royally screwed ... BUT ... I paid into that account all my working life, so I was NOT on the public dole. Heck, I was at the age I could retire anyway, so I "officially" retired and am now drawing Social Security ... which AGAIN, I paid into all my working life.

But this dude is nothing but a bum! I have no clue what all his benifits add up to, but there is no way he's drawing from ANY sort of account he actually contributed to. He's worked harder all his life learning the system than most people do at their "real" jobs, so maybe he deserves it! Anyway, what brought this up is what I mentioned above ... he had no interest in eBay or actually EARNING a living. In my case, my Social Security pretty much pays my bills (EXCEPT for surprises). Ebay pays into our emergency slush fund, but also provides a little extra to live a somewhat normal life and take small weekend trips or the occassional vacation. I ain't gettin' rich mind you, but I see no reason in the world that the bums sitting around drawing "assistance" because there "are no jobs", can't do SOMETHING to lighten the load. I just received my accounting from eBay through the month of June. It's fun, gives me goals to work for AND helps with the bills. Like I said, I ain't getting rich, but I see no reason in the world for ANYBODY who's physically able to get around, to do nothing but sit on the porch and whine about not having a frigging job.

Sure, there was a learning curve and I started out slow, but considering this is a part-time (and FUN) endeavor that now lands me between $1600 - $1700/month "pocket money", I'm beginning to look at my "friend" as a frigging worthless POS. Here's my report from ebay covering the past 2 years. It's far from a "living", but it's sure a nice little shot in the arm so that we can afford to at least get out of the house from time to time. And I WORK for it!

I've had $125 in sales the first 3 days of this month, so I've cracked the $37,000 mark. Now. mind you, 99% of this is little crap I can package and stick in my mailbox for pick-up ... not big freight items.

Your total sales as of June 30:

Total sales amount:$36,900.24
Total transactions:1361

BarryBobPosthole
07-04-2015, 08:51 AM
As we discussed, I looked into the whole ebay business here and went to several estate sales. My conclusion is that my area doesn't have the number of estate sales or the types of them either, to support making much off of it. I may be wrong about that. I even looked into what the artwork market had because there is plenty of that, but that's a lot higher risk and lot lower reward than I'd have the knowledge to make work. We just dont have the number of sales you do and we certainly don't have the big sales that have the kind of things you see at the ones you go to. Anyway, I'm proud of for what you've done with that. Besides being able to make some dough, you're having a ball doing it! And yes,
I do realize the elbow grease you have to put into to make it work.

As far as the government program stuff goes, yes there is lot of that going on. I was appalled that one of the separation services my former company offered was how to negotiate the process to file for social security disability. At my recent family reunion I heard at least three first cousins discussing their 'disabilities'. They are all drawing it even though none of the disabilities in question are job related, they are to a great degree in my mind lifestyle choice disabilities. Circulation issues, surgeries, back problems, mainly caused by obesity and lack of control of type two diabetes. Granted, they are disabled and probably can't work, but in my parent's generation nobody in my family would have dared filed for disability unless they lost a limb or something. So my point is its not just the deadbeat effers that game the system and are making it have the serious financial problems the system will eventually have. Its also your basic everyday Americans who feel entitled to receive compensation for their health choices over the years when they become 'disabled' as a result. What of those people? Are they what the program was intended to serve. Why are we aren't telling anecdotes about those folks sitting on the porch watching while you work?
Mainly its because they are mostly your basic conservative Republican voters. Every single one of the people I'm talking about are and probably have a I hate Obama bumper sticker and a rebel flag on their fucking electric wheel chair.(bought and paid for by you and me)

We all gotta own the problem before we can fix it. And before that we gotta understand who and what we're talkin about.

BKB

Captain
07-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Why are we aren't telling anecdotes about those folks sitting on the porch watching while you work? Mainly its because they are mostly your basic conservative Republican voters. Every single one of the people I'm talking about are and probably have a I hate Obama bumper sticker and a rebel flag on their fucking electric wheel chair.(bought and paid for by you and me.

Wow and you say Bucky stereotypes liberals.
Pot meet kettle
I know several Republicans that paid for their wheel chairs and their I hate Obummer sticker.

HideHunter
07-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Two things - one, Thump - I totally agree with the "job" thing. Wife and I went to a half-dozen businesses the other day - and we both commented - I don't think there was one that didn't have a "Help Wanted" sign in the door. Sure - probably not dream jobs, but you could damn sure be working.

Two - We have the same problem with estate sales here Barry. Most stuff is auctioned and goes for more than retail.

BarryBobPosthole
07-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Wow and you say Bucky stereotypes liberals.
Pot meet kettle
I know several Republicans that paid for their wheel chairs and their I hate Obummer sticker.

Its no different than the stuff that gets posted about 'democrats' (usually used here as a euphemism for a lazy black person). But that was done really to just say that like Pogo, 'We have met the enemy and they is us'. And that's all I really think that is missing from this hatred of welfare mentality (and I hate the waste as much as anyone). But if we want to clean it up we can't do one and disregard the other. And there's not a politician anywhere that has the will to take that on. So what we'll end up with, if anything, is some window dressing, some folks might lose their food stamps, but the heart and soul of the problem won't be addressed.

So we bitch.

BKB

And if you're interested in some light reading on the topic, here's a good article.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2013/04/08/how-americans-game-the-200-billion-a-year-disability-industrial-complex/

Thumper
07-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Yep, as far as the sales go, that's where "experience" comes in. Tampa and Orlando have dozens upon dozens of estate sales every weekend, but I don't want to travel that far on a gamble. I live in a smaller town and there are only four main companies who put on the sales locally, but it's a very low volume area (1-3 per week ... sometimes none). For the first few months, I attended every sale in town to get a feel for it. I seldom bought anything ... or if I did, it was a very small item of some sort. As I got to know the players, I learned who was who and how they operated. One is extremely high priced ... many times over retail IMHO. I buy very little from her, although I've known her so long, I've been able to negotiate with her on a limited basis. Her stuff is also half-price on the final sale day. They all use the 1/2 price thing to clear out the left-over stuff on the final day ... it's a gamble if you wait for something you wanted, as there's no guarantee it'll still be there .. but it "can" lead to a great deal!

Another started out very reasonably priced, but they've been getting a bit crazy this past year and their prices have been going up steadily, BUT ... I've been dealing with them so long, they are many times negotiable ... and are also half price on the final day.

Another is reasonable with their prices, not very negotiable (but I have negotiated lower prices quite often) and also half-price on the final day. Their prices are reasonable ... usually not GREAT deals, but generally have enough room to make a few bucks.

The other is extremely negotiable and his main goal seems to be to empty the house. He believes in volume. Like Walmart, his prices are low and he moves a LOT of stuff. By the final day (also half price), there is very little left to dispose of.

They're all different and I know for a fact, they are more willing to negotiate and work with their regulars. That's where time and persistence comes into play. It's like most anything else, you have to pay your dues, get to know the players, and most importantly, make sure they get to know you ... not unlike most any new business.

When Lynn and I travel out of town, we always list the estate sales that are going on wherever we're headed. To be honest, I get excited about visiting different states because the amount of inventory always seems so much better (I like old, junky stuff). Florida is a retirement haven. Think about it, people get old (up north), sell or give away all their crap (stuff I'd LOVE to have) and move down here, buy a very small "retirement" home or trailer in some seniors only community, and buy everything new that they need ... usually from Wally World and Rooms-To-Go. They hire people to do their lawns, so there's no lawn equipment and they certainly don't do their own car repairs, so there are very few tools other than the kitchen drawer with a tack hammer, pair of pliers and a screwdriver from ACE Hardware.

"Up north", they seem to have decades of accumulated "stuff" and I LOVE getting out of the State of Florida to explore the sales. There is the same problem, some companies are extremely high priced, others are very reasonable ... part of the battle is I don't know who is who in a new area and they certainly don't know me. Don't be willing to throw in the towel so easily. I'll guarantdamntee you, there are some real treasures to be found. Ya' just gots ta' pay your dues before you can figure out where they are and can't fall into that old trap of expecting instant gratification.

But, all that aside, the guy I was talking about above lives 15 minutes from me. He has the same exact opportunities I do, he just won't get off his "I'm entitled" ass! Barry, I know exactly what you mean about the family thing. Lynn has a cousin who worked for the Post Office. About 25 years ago, she went on Disability. Nobody seems to know exactly what the details are, but it was something about her supervisor "yelling at her" one day. Her disability? Some b/s about "workplace stress"! Now, you want to know the kicker? Within a year, her sister went on disability (also from the Post Office) for the same persact thing! Neither of them have worked in the past quarter century. They both moved back in with mom, one drives a Mercedes (not sure what the other drives) and they spend most of their time on cruises or in Vegas! I kid you not.

HideHunter
07-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Here you go Thump. I knew this old boy for 50 years. Come on up - I'll buy you and the little woman supper.... cause that would be cheaper than anything you'll buy on this sale. ;)

https://steffesgroup.com/Auction/AuctionDetails?Name=kerr-family-trust---louisa-county-iowa-real-e-30616

I do understand why the "estate sale" thing works down there. Dad owns a home down there. All us kids are here. What the hell are we going to do with his "stuff" when the time comes? I guarantee nothing "family" will get away - but the rest of it... make it "gone".

quercus alba
07-04-2015, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Thumper;60698] Like Walmart, his prices are low and he moves a LOT of stuff.

Somebody hasn't checked out the meat and seafood aisles at wally world lately