PDA

View Full Version : One thing about social media

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Is that you notice stuff sometimes that you hadn't thought much about before. We have this local social media site on Facebook that has news and updates on my home town. Owassoisms is what its called, but I'm sure there's a ton of (fillintheblank)-isms out there.

What I noticed was yesterday and this morning there was a group of missing dog posts. I never knew that dogs ran away at that rate on the 4th so I guess I was never really tuned in to how much fireworks get in dog's heads. My two pretty much were their thick headed selves. But there were at least a dozen missing dog posts in the last two days and there's only like 20,000 in the whole town.

BKB

Thumper
07-05-2015, 11:10 AM
That's a huge problem every year Postie. In fact (ok, start with the smart remarks now), we always make sure all the cats are in the house early on the 4th. There's usually a local news blurb warning folks to keep their pets inside and also make sure they have ID tags on them in case they should bolt.

I used to have a dog that hid under the bed the whole night on the 4th. He was NEVER spooked by ANYTHING ... but on the 4th every year, he'd crumble!

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 11:35 AM
The dog that we just lost to old age in January would freak out in thunderstorms and on the 4th. And there was never trauma of that sort that I can recall in her life. She'd climb in my lap and try to get inside my shirt if she could. Which is awkward for a 60 pound dog.

BKB

No-till Boss
07-05-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a cat that is deathly afraid of thunder. If she's laying in your lap and it thunders, you're gonna get scratched ! And she'll hide for hours afterwards . I'd love to know what she's thinking .

LJ3
07-06-2015, 09:49 AM
My 75lb golden would try to crawl behind the toilet during fireworks and thunder. Nothing traumatic that I'm aware of.

Thumper
07-06-2015, 10:38 AM
We used to have a German Shepard when I was a kid. He was like any normal family dog, was a great pal to all us kids, but he was terrified of two things (well, three actually). Fireworks/Thunder and STAIRS. It was really wierd, we lived in a 2-story house and there was a short flight of steps (maybe 5-6) leading from the sidewalk to the front porch, but those were no problem for him. The problem was, when we went to bed (upstairs) at night, he'd sit at the bottom of the stairs and whine. Heck, I think he weighed about 100 lbs or more! My dad had to literally carry him upstairs! (nobody else in the house was strong enough). During a thunderstorm (a daily thing for Florida summers) or fireworks, he would crawl behind the couch and cower in fear!

You know the really wierd part? For the life of me, I can't remember how he got DOWN from upstairs. I always remember my dad carrying him UP the stairs, but that's it. Odd, I have no clue how he got back down.

BTW, his name was "Rebel". I wonder if we'd have had to change his name nowadays to be PC.

Nandy
07-06-2015, 05:37 PM
My cats did not give a shite... They must be mixed with honey badgers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

DeputyDog
07-06-2015, 09:34 PM
I had a lab that would do stairs no problem unless they were an open stairway with no backs on the steps. I guess being able to see through them freaked him out.