PDA

View Full Version : One of my favorite races tonight

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 04:48 PM
I actually liked it better when it was the old Pepsi Firecracker 400 as I just can't get my mind wrapped around a Coke Zero, and I liked it better when it was on the 4th.

But So ist das leben!

Junior's gonna win it tonight!

BKB

Thumper
07-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Ditto on the Firecracker 400 ... I still call it that. Actually, it didn't become the PEPSI Firecracker 400 until the mid-80's. They finally dropped the "Firecracker" name the same year I moved back to Florida (1989). They quit running it ON the 4th the year before that ('88). To be honest, I was glad they quit running it on the 4th (unless the 4th fell on a weekend) because many people had to work the day before AND the day after (say, it was on a Wednesday for example). The biggest change I liked was when they installed the lights and started running at night. The July race was usually one HOT MF'er in Florida ... and a full day in that sun would pretty well cook your ass! One plus though, they sure sold a LOT of beer!

Yep, it's always been the Firecracker 400 to me ... but at times, I do slip up and call it the Pepsi 400. I never can remember the Coke Zero part ... but then again, I'm slow to change ... I still call it Winston Cup racing! ;)

Thumper
07-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, Ditto on Junior also! :thumbsup

Captain
07-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Go JUNIOR!
I always liked Darlington best. .

Thumper
07-05-2015, 06:10 PM
I learned what a "Darlington Stripe" is at a VERY early age. I was fascinated walking around the pits as a young kid after the race and it was rare to find a car without the stripe. Actually, if they didn't have one, it meant the driver wasn't running hard enough!

Captain
07-05-2015, 06:49 PM
My Uncle (Harry Miller) was a Lt. With the Darlington Sheriffs Office and he was in charge of the security of the racetrack. The Sheriffs Office is right beside the track. So growing up I got to hang out at the track the whole race week. I've walked around the track several times. The turns are actually so steep you have to hang on to the guardrail to walk around it.
Every year the track would have "movie" stars out for the race. I remember meeting Festus, Mat Dillon, Doc, Gillian, and the Skipper. My uncle had a photo album of pictures with him and all the folks. He has been dead many years now and only has one daughter left living and no grandkids. I should get up with my cousin and get that album and for the NASCAR hall of fame.
Man I saw some GOOD races back in those days. I always pulled for David Person. The 21 car! Those boys had their motors bored and blueprinted at Holman-Moody in Charlotte. About all the race shops were around Charlotte in those days.
That was really the stock car days. SO much better than today....
You could actually go to the dealer and buy a car like the one running around the track.
God, I'm getting old.

airbud7
07-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Jr gonna win tonight.....Radar shows a lot of rain near the track, Hope a jet dryer don't catch fire and melt the track...:atomic

Captain
07-05-2015, 06:55 PM
It's pouring there now. I'm watching the pre-race stuff.

airbud7
07-05-2015, 06:57 PM
It's pouring there now. I'm watching the pre-race stuff.

:banghead

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Dang. Are you getting any of that at the farm? Hope so!

Those were some pretty awesome days in NastyCar. Old David Pearson used to give Petty fits!

BKB

Captain
07-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Yep, best I remember they called him the sliver fox...
And no not a drop of rain at the farm.

Thumper
07-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Yep, the Wood Brothers were top notch and I believe they are actually the oldest racing team in NASCAR (they're actually from Virginia). I believe David Pearson started driving for the Wood Brothers while I was in the military. I had a buddy who was a HUGE fan of the 21 car, but I was a Chevy man at the time and couldn't force myself to root for a Phord driver, so my buddy and I always maintained a friendly rivalry.

I sure wish I had pictures of my early days hanging around the tracks. We had an old camera, but it seems everytime we ever shot a roll of film, it would end up in a drawer someplace and never get developed. :(

Chicken Dinner
07-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I can't believe all that rain is missing he farm. I've got my fingers crossed that a stray cloud or two will head your way.

Captain
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM
I can't believe all that rain is missing he farm. I've got my fingers crossed that a stray cloud or two will head your way.

The red dot on the left is my NC home and the red dot on the right is my SC home. Rain going right between both but neither getting a drop.
That is happening right now.

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Check the farm again!

Captain
07-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Still nothing. Going right between.

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 09:16 PM
Accuweather says "Light rain" and their radar says it's started and more west of you there.

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Well that didn't work.

Go to accuweather.com and go to the map, and then try 'future' and it shows it hitting soon.

Hope it hits!!!

Captain
07-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Well the farm is about 10 EAST of Pageland and the rain is west of Pageland but east of my NC house. And it appears even if it does skirt the farm it won't be anything helpful. Maybe a 5 minute shower.

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Well geez. Close, but no cigar! That sucks. Horses need a bath.