PDA

View Full Version : BakFlip F1 possibly for sale

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Have original receipt. Cost me over $950.00 with tax. This is the sturdy F1 model, not the cheaper G2 one. Not even 100% sure I want to sell, and will not deliver to Johnboy!! :)

But I might sell it. It's on my Chevy 2500, but I'm not sure what other pickups that model fits. I have receipt and can measure it or take pics if anyone is interested.

Let me know.

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Can tell much difference in gas mileage with it open or closed? Mine is almost 2 mpg different. Of course, when its open I usually have a jon boat in the back so that may not be a totally fair comparison.

BKB

Thumper
07-05-2015, 06:03 PM
I have my doubts when ANYTHING advertises major fuel savings. The auto manufacturers spend millions of $$$ trying to figure out how to save fuel so they can meet their CAFE requirements. Pick-ups are a major focus because they are VERY popular vehicles, so they'd give their left nut to come up with an easy fix just to save a 10th of a MPG across the board. Considering they'd manufacture millions, I'm sure the manufacturers could produce a decent cover for just a few bucks and install them as standard on all models (then the customer could yank 'em off if they don't care for them ... or install a nicer, aftermarket version). The same goes for these guys who drive around with their tailgates down thinking they will improve mileage ... I saw a "Myth Busters" episode that proved the theory wrong, and due to the circulation of the air over the cab, driving with the tailgate open actually DECREASED mileage. Their findings were backed up by some Canadian company who ran a similar test.

Here's a decent blog from Tundra Headquarters Postie ... in fact, rumor has it you own a Tundra. Looks like you may get some minimal benefit, but not enough to pay for itself.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/the-tonneau-cover-fuel-economy-myth/

BarryBobPosthole
07-05-2015, 06:37 PM
i keep mine closed 90% of the time so its rare I'd use a whole tank of gas with it open to get a good comparison. It does drop the range on a tank some though when I have it open.

BKB

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Haven't driven without it enough to know.

Thumper
07-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I think the benefit is security and keeping your stuff out of the rain. The fuel mileage thing doesn't really enter the picture from what I can tell.

Buckrub
07-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Correct.

DeputyDog
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM
I have one on my work truck, but gas mileage isn't really a big deal with my line of work and use of the truck, but the security is really nice.