PDA

View Full Version : Breaking the Law of Logical Consequences

Buckrub
07-08-2015, 11:42 AM
http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/her-son-died-by-lighting-fireworks-on-his-head-now-she-wants-stricter-laws/ar-AAcGx67

If you break the Law of Logical Consequences, you will pay. This woman clearly has a good idea for avoiding that Law. Just pass MORE laws. That will work! More laws would have made this act moot.

Course, this guy would have tried jumping his truck over a gorge next week, and then we could outlaw trucks.

I hate it for this Mother. I would not want to go through that. That's terrible to deal with. BUT, someone somewhere, somehow, has got to get it in folks' heads that more laws won't fix stupid.

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Idiocy abounds and you can't legislate it away.

No-till Boss
07-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Text book Natural Selection .......

HideHunter
07-08-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm betting there weren't any directions that said," Do not fire explosives from the top of your head." I'd sue... probably "oral" and "anal" should be in there somewhere, too.

EDIT: uh huh.. I rest my case.. http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-07-30/man-attempts-to-shoot-fireworks-out-of-his-ass-gets-injured/

No-till Boss
07-08-2015, 12:43 PM
I'm betting there weren't any directions that said," Do not fire explosives from the top of your head." I'd sue... probably "oral" and "anal" should be in there somewhere, too.

EDIT: uh huh.. I rest my case.. http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-07-30/man-attempts-to-shoot-fireworks-out-of-his-ass-gets-injured/

Darwin, Australia awwwww the irony !!!!

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
I've done some awfully stupid things with fireworks and other various incendiary devices back when I was young, dumb, and full of .......well, bulletproof.

There but for some damn good luck, goeth I.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 01:46 PM
Ditto, but I did it knowing it was stupid and, in many cases, illegal. I would hope my Mother wouldn't go blaming anybody but me for the results. I know I wouldn't have.

I've done some awfully stupid things with fireworks and other various incendiary devices back when I was young, dumb, and full of .......well, bulletproof.

There but for some damn good luck, goeth I.

BKB

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 01:52 PM
His Mom is understandably greiving and is representative of pretty much nobody.

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 01:56 PM
Upset because she raised a moron?

Thumper
07-08-2015, 02:11 PM
My buddy and I would be constantly making bombs as kids. Match heads to gun powder ... and everything in between that we could dig up. Heck, as kids, my brother and I would carry a Coke bottle and launch bottle rockets at each other. As we "grew up" (HA!) we graduated up to Roman candles.

One of our favorites was one of us would put a cherry bomb or M80 in a slingshot, rear back, the other would light it and the "shooter" would let loose! Of course, while lighting the fuse, the cb/m80 would be right about 2" from the left ear. A short fuse would'a been a badass sumbitch. :hair

It's all part of growing up. Dang, I burned all the hair off my ass lighting farts in college once! Heck, I was getting a real good flame through my Levis, so naturally, I figured it would be a major flame-thrower if I dropped trou! It was ... and yes, it HURT! Of course my dorm mates laughed their asses off at my misery.

Note: Pickled eggs and beer was a game winning fuel for a sure victory! Of course, I had milk & cereal almost every morning for breakfast ... BEFORE I had a clue what "lactose intolerance" was ... and I'm lactose intolerant! Milk, pickled eggs and beer was a slam-dunk! :D

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Good Lord! I may have been crazy, and even lit a few farts in my day, but I wasn't dumb enough to do it bare-assed.

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Upset because she raised a moron?

Smart people do moronic shit all the time. Especially YOUNG smart people. Its hardly fair to label the kid as a moron, and its hardly fair to publish what a greiving mother thinks about anything and call it news. This is shit nobody needs to know. I'm sure it'll be debated by a bunch of very knowing people though.

BKB

Thumper
07-08-2015, 02:27 PM
More laws always fix things ... heck, that's why we have no heroin addicts in this country.

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 02:36 PM
That part is crazy. Of course, Maine just legalized fireworks in 2012. I don't suppose this happened much when they were totally banned.

BKB

Thumper
07-08-2015, 02:42 PM
If not, why did they ban them in the first place? Prolly "just in case". ;)

Thumper
07-08-2015, 02:45 PM
'Course, McDonald's coffee cups now have, "Caution-Contents Hot" imprinted on them ... so I'm SURE that will put an end to any potential scaldings in the future. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Considering what Maine is dragging in from taxing fireworks, I'd imagine it'll be a tough job convincing them to. Them to ban them over this. Or provide training classes!

BKB

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
My favorite piece of fireworks related government hypocrisy involves the state of Pennsylvania. (By favorite, I mean I like it.😇). I just went up there and bought all sorts of illegal (in Virginia) mortars, rockets and whatnot. As a non-resident, you can pretty much anything you want as long as you sign a piece of paper promising not to use it in PA. PA residents aren't even allowed in the store. They literally card you on the way in, have you sign some sort of affidavit that you turn over when you check out. Of course, this was the scene outside the store as all the PA residents directed their straw men in what to buy.

Thumper
07-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Well, for one thing, you could be one of the coolest kids in class if you had your own pyrotechnic operator's license in your wallet!

Thumper
07-08-2015, 03:05 PM
When I was in college, there was a little mom & pop convenience store where we'd buy beer (of course, we were underaged). When the holidays like July 4th or New Year's rolled around, every kid in a 5-county area knew that was where you could buy any "illegal" fireworks you wanted. I remember the old guy would take us in a back room (where his office was), lock the door behind us, unlock a big metal cabinet and it was like Christmas shopping! We'd buy whateve we wanted and exit through the back door! (my favorite was M-80's) Very clandestine ... but pretty cool, and as far as I know, nobody EVER ratted the old guy out. :D

BarryBobPosthole
07-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Our fireworks laws make about as much sense as y'all's do. Its supposed to be illegal to sell or shoot fireworks in our city limits but there are selected 'exceptions', like the cheerleaders at the high school make six figures off of their stand on high school property. And the cops write a bunch of tickets except in the uppity neighborhoods where the people do what they want. I'm not a curmudgeon so I kind of like 'em although I don't shoot any off myself. But it is funny how these 'laws' are enforced around here. Nuttin to get upset about but it pays to be a noticer.
BKb

LJ3
07-08-2015, 03:34 PM
Let's be clear here. These were the big ass fireworks, fucking mortars. Class B fireworks. He put it on his haid. On. his. HAID.

Chicken Dinner
07-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Sounds a lot like a little head shop I used to know about...

When I was in college, there was a little mom & pop convenience store where we'd buy beer (of course, we were underaged). When the holidays like July 4th or New Year's rolled around, every kid in a 5-county area knew that was where you could buy any "illegal" fireworks you wanted. I remember the old guy would take us in a back room (where his office was), lock the door behind us, unlock a big metal cabinet and it was like Christmas shopping! We'd buy whateve we wanted and exit through the back door! (my favorite was M-80's) Very clandestine ... but pretty cool, and as far as I know, nobody EVER ratted the old guy out. :D

Mrs. Niner
07-09-2015, 01:12 AM
..... and its hardly fair to publish what a greiving mother thinks about anything and call it news. This is shit nobody needs to know.
BKB

BBP, you are so right on so many levels! :thumbsup

DeputyDog
07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
There was a guy somewhere in Indiana killed by a hang fire this year. It didn't go off so he walked up to check it and it went off in his face killing him. That's an accident, this other is just stupid.

BaseballCoach (Rev A)
07-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Two NFL players lost fingers in firework accidents this year. Surely these guys could afford to travel somewhere nice and watch the pro pyro guys do their thing.

Thumper
07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Ha! These are FOOTBALL players ... a Defensive End and a Cornerback ... do you really think there would be ONE complete brain between them? :D

Big Muddy
07-09-2015, 01:03 PM
As usual, I bought a bunch for the grands, this year....leave it to a kid to invent new ways to enjoy them....they went out onto the boat dock, and started removing the explosive part from the sticks of the bottle rockets....they'd light 'em like a firecracker, and throw them into the water, under the boat dock....I had no idea those things would stay lit and explode underwater....fish were jumping everywhere....ruined my fishing with the yo-yo's for two days!!! ;)

Chicken Dinner
07-09-2015, 01:23 PM
No need to take the stick off. Just hand launch them right into the water and they'll go off. That was always big fun when I was a kid.

Big Muddy
07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Chick, the kids said the wooden stick makes 'em float....they sink deeper without the sticks....whatta I know, I just paid for 'em. ;)

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2015, 01:59 PM
When I was in the seventh grade we had a neighbor, one farm over, whose kid and I were buddies for a summer. He'd just got his permit and was a couple of years older, and had an old Willys Jeep that we knocked around in. His Dad was in the Nat Guard and we absconded with a few boxes, yes boxes, of 30.06 blanks. They had (no idea if they still do) little red caps in the end of them. You could prize the end off and a Black Cat firecracker fit perfectly in the end. They'd blow up like friggin dynamite and send brass shrapnel everywhere. We blew up a lot of shit that summer. Talk about a couple of morons. My buddy's Dad also got us a box, yes a box, of real genuine M80 firecrackers with the waterproof fuses. We bombed every pond in the vicinity. Like I said, nobody's got the market cornered on dumbassery. Me and this same guy used to go skating on ponds in the winter. See what I mean?

BKB

Thumper
07-09-2015, 02:56 PM
M-80's were my all-time favorite P-hole. We'd tie 'em to rocks, light 'em and throw 'em in the lake. They'd remind me of the old WWII movies when the battle ships would launch depth charges tryin' to sink submarines! Oh, and we'd get the occassional fish floating to the surface also. ;)

Buckrub
07-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Cherry bombs (I still have two dozen) will go off under water.

And back to the original post.........I will say this..........EVERY stupid person that lived, had a Mother. Yet..........

No-till Boss
07-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Cherry bombs (I still have two dozen) will go off under water.......

That's called fishing .....

BarryBobPosthole
07-09-2015, 07:02 PM
That's called fishing .....

No. That's called CATCHING.

BKB

DeputyDog
07-10-2015, 08:26 AM
Growing up on a lake, we used to shoot the bottle rockets into the water all the time. It was cool.

When did personal responsibility disappear in this country? If we would have blown ourselves up or something dicking around with fireworks, it would have been our own fault, not the fault of the seller or manufacturer for not putting on a warning label for every scenario where they could be used. People will always come up with some dumb idea of a way to use something, so how can the manufacturer put out a warning for everything that someone else thinks up?

Buckrub
07-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Me and my two cousins tied some firecrackers to a cat's tail (so sue me) and lit 'em..........and the cat ran off into a field, full of sage grass, between us and Virco manufacturing plant. Lit the whole field on fire. Fire department came, you name it.

All my uncles lined up, and beat all three of senseless, screaming the whole time.

We learned not to do that.

LJ3
07-10-2015, 10:43 AM
I bet they all laughed their assess off when you weren't looking :)

No-till Boss
07-10-2015, 02:01 PM
All my uncles lined up, and beat all three of senseless, screaming the whole time.

We learned not to do that.

If things were still handled like that today, the world would be a better place .

BarryBobPosthole
07-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Not if you're Adrian Peterson. Then they label you a child abuser.

BKB

Buckrub
07-12-2015, 05:39 PM
"They" need to be shot and dismembered, then spit on, then ignored.

No-till Boss
07-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Not if you're Adrian Peterson. Then they label you a child abuser.

BKB

IMO that was a horrble crime agaisnt Adrian....